'02 Crew Cab F-350 Tow Pig Overhual/Build

Discussion in 'Projects' started by PSU Taco85, Jul 2, 2018.

1. PSU Taco85

PSU Taco85 Well-Known Member

Figured I'd start a built to keep track of modifications, maintenance history, part numbers, etc. I've learned one thing and that is that diesels are expensive sumbishes.

Specs are as follows:
    2002 F-350 Lariat
    Crew Cab Short Bed
    4x4 with ZF6 and manual t-case
    254k on the clock, original motor
    Trans and t-case replaced at 160k

I purchased it at 250k from a younger kid from Lancaster, PA who only owned it for a year or so. Prior to that it was the original owner as far as I could tell from the carfax and what the kid I bought it from said. It had the bed replaced with a new bed from a 2010 and paint matched, the frame was in decent shape and the rockers were about the best you will find for up here in the northeast. My plan was to fix up what needed repaired and make it a reliable tow pig for using it to tow my 4runner if that ever gets done or moving my dad's equipment from time to time.

I picked it up in April 2017 so I've had it a little over a year, dumped more money into than I cared but once I'm finished it should be good to go for another 1/4 million with just basic maintenance.

Modifications to date:
    Converted to 05+ front end
    2008+ bed
    2008+ Towing Mirrors
    4” lift
    285/75R16 BFG All Terrains
    Autometer 3 pillar gauge mount on A-pillar (EGT, boost, trans temp)
    Custom HomerTaco front Grille
    GTP38R with turbomaster wastegate controller
    Dieselsite boost relief valve
    Intake air heater delete
    Non-EBPV pedestal
    GTP38R high flow outlet
    TS Performance 6 Position chip
    BD Diesel intercooler boots
    South Bend dual disk organic clutch
    International Ceramic Coated bellowed up pipes
    Ford AIS intake
    G2 rear diff cover
    Moroso oil pan
    Dieselsite Coolant filtration system
    Magnefine power steering filter
    Redhead steering box
    Riffraff HP oil crossover
    Airdog II-4G DF-165 fuel pump/filter/water seperator
    Beans Diesel fuel sump
    Riffraff Fuel rail crossover
    Riffraff Fuel check valve delete
    Riffraff High flow fuel banjo bolts
    International 203* Thermostat
    Recon 60” taillight bar
    Cab lights, marker lights, turn signals, headlights, and tail lights all converted to LEDs
    Swapped to front heated leather lariat seats.

I will add some pictures and keep this updated along the way. Here she was the first day I brought her home
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    HomerTaco, Mauzer, Silverback and 2 others like this.
  2. PSU Taco85

I got a new set of exhaust manifolds last week since the ones that are on there are rusty as fuck and have seen better days, the collector bolts are seized to the manifold so I can not change the up-pipes until I replaced these.

Drilled and tapped for EGT probe on the flat spot of the drivers manifold
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking inside the manifold, two or so threads showing is good enough thread engagement I believe
    [​IMG]

Dropped them off for ceramic coating, thats a 1-2 week turnaround time. Hopefully I can work on pulling the motor this week and get the old manifolds off and pull the oil pan off to re-seal the gasket as it was a pretty bad leak from the back of the pan.

3. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing spare time Staff Member

Three threads should be fine. It is not a static high pressure area.

4. PSU Taco85

Thanks, that's what I figured but wasn't 100% sure. Still waiting on them to come back from ceramic coating.

When I was disconnecting the rest of the crap to pull the engine, I noticed one of the PS pump high pressure hoses had rubbed a wear mark in it by the shock tower. Researched it a bit and turns out it is common for those lines to give up the ghost after a while so I ordered the 2 high pressure lines, and a new OEM reman pump today. I got an email saying the pump is backordered so hopefully it won't take too long to get that shipped. The lines were a little pricey but since they also control the hydroboost for the brakes I'd rather be safe than sorry if one of those lines were to burst. Once this weather cools down a bit hopefully I'll be yanking the engine, the only thing left to disconnect at this point is the fuel lines.

5. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

Yeah it's crazy how much Ford relies on the PS pump for these trucks. Lose steering and brakes all at once. Genius, genius, geniussss! /s

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. Oswego

Oswego n00b

wait....and you want to move south? Screw that heat. Need to go north w/me and enjoy vehicular freedom. NY has crappy gun laws, but the best Snowmobile/side by side/quad/offroading laws. Add some turn signals, insurance, and registration + a safety class and walla - road legal quads and side x sides. 6,000 miles of snowmobile trails and a few thousand miles of offroad trails open to the public. All that + 300" of snow per year = my kind of place.

If it weren't for NYC, NY would be a cool state. Dam city libs screw up the state for the rural people who just want to be left alone.

7. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, go fuck off

You two need a moment... or a room? ;)

The one thing that really sucks with Texas is no federal land like Cali or other states.. its all private property for the most part. But I do like the gun laws and no state tax.

8. balakay

balakay $20 is $20.

The no public land is part of the reason my 10 year plan involves a move. Paying to play just isn't as fun. That and I just cant stand these summers anymore. Maybe it would be better if I didn't work around a 2200 degree furnace 12 hours a day. Makes doing anything outside on my days off less than desirable.

tex likes this.
  9. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

Same here. I'm built for cold weather and snow like @Oswego... not for summer heat.

10. tex

tex Keeper of the 10mm sockets

This summer is about to kill me. The heat has really got to me this year. Cant wait to hit Colorado in 2 weeks. Maybe I will be spending more time there since my brother will have a house there and only about 20 min from slopes.
    I could work there for weeks and check out trails or slopes after I get off for the day.

Anathollo likes this.
  11. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing spare time Staff Member

Weird. I was thinking this has been a pretty mild summer so far.

12. Mauzer

Mauzer Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er

Same, I've been outside most evenings and its doesn't seem that bad...just makes cold beer taste better

tx_shooter likes this.
  13. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

I wonder if @tex has a good tan from being in front of computer screens all day?

14. tex

All 3 screens to be exact but sadly no tan from those.

15. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

The temperatures up there today seem real mild...

16. Silverback

My weather app has been spot on with its outlook on the weather lately.

34F7575D-C198-47E8-9CA8-6AE42CDDBC8B.png

D82B9CE3-D474-416F-ABD1-817FA394EFDA.png

F2872D01-30C8-4AAB-A894-D0D6FECB29F1.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Taco Loco likes this.
  17. tex

I need that app. Its 104 here now. Down from 107 a few hours ago. And its not dry

18. PSU Taco85

Yes it is a great design as long as everything is working! Unfortunately 16 years later shit goes bad lol

:bentover:lol

There is now a new law trying to get passed that will make anything over 10 rounds in a clip a "high round" and you are expected to turn in anything above 10 rounds hah, I sure hope that doesn't pass

I want weather where there's 80* days, 50* nights, not too humid, no fucking snow, good gun laws, low taxes, cheap property, plentiful employment for a decent salary, and easy access to lakes, trails, etc. for camping/exploring. Know anywhere like that?

19. Silverback

Please let me know when you find this place. When I moved here I had a few of those things and could overlook the others. As I get older I could be convinced to move, even though I just spent an arm and leg for a pool. Just needs to have a good employment pool to dip in.

PSU Taco85 likes this.
  20. Silverback

Sorry for shitting up your build thread. Carry on. :)