05+ Tacoma braking system

06HAOLE

Hey fellas I have some random brake trivia for you. Please share whatever info you have. I have researched this a lot but it never hurts to get second opinions.

What size is the bore for the stock master cylinder?

How are people converting to rear disc brakes? Are they able to keep their stock master cylinder?

AlienXtx

Nignog
Weres Randy on this one? He's the brake guru...lol

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
X-runners are 5 lug trucks

AlienXtx

Nignog
I've seen some kits out there for rear disc but on all that i've seen you lose your e-brake, i'll see if I can dig up those sites

TKGN1

Straight White Male
Normally when swapping rear drum to disc you will need an adjustable proportioning valve to adjust front/rear bias. Drum brakes require a higher pressure to operate than discs, therefore if you did a direct swap with the stock prop valve you would end up locking the rear brakes before the fronts. I've done multiple drum/disc conversions and this is really the main focal point.
The master cylinder bore does effect line pressure, but usually on vacuum assisted brakes a larger bore is fine. Smaller bore (7/8" for ex) is normally used for manual/non-assist brakes. You shouldn't need to swap the master cylinder if you have assisted brakes.
HTH

AlienXtx

Nignog

AlienXtx

Nignog

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
X-runners are 5 lug trucks

Damn, thats right. I forgot. That was the only brake conversion kit that I knew of...
and yeah that brake conversion kit from tundra racing is pretty sweet! that'll be low on my list of things to get.

06HAOLE

Thanks for the help guys. This is going to be a heck of a project. Now I just need the axle to show up.

DemonSpeedn

You talking to me?
Nice thread matt, I was gonna ask something similar, wondering what I should do about brakes, seeing as I will be stopping after reaching top speed in the taco, should I go bigger with a tundra brake conversion or just drilled and slotted

06HAOLE

Nice thread matt, I was gonna ask something similar, wondering what I should do about brakes, seeing as I will be stopping after reaching top speed in the taco, should I go bigger with a tundra brake conversion or just drilled and slotted

Honestly man there isnt a lot of hard info out there about disc brake conversions that I have found. If I was going to keep my Toyota rear axle I would go with this kit. It looks well put together. Its only $$ right?

http://tundraracing.com/proseriesprerunner.htm

taco4x4rar

So how is all of this "tacoma" rear disc stuff going to work with that swanky new ferd 9"?

06HAOLE

So how is all of this "tacoma" rear disc stuff going to work with that swanky new ferd 9"?

Im not doing the "tacoma" rear disc conversion. I think that would be a great option for Eric.

My axle comes with Wilwood disc brakes. I am going to add a prop valve and see what happens. I may have to go to a Wilwood master cylinder and front discs to match if I cant get the Toyota master cylinder to work. I would rather not due to cost.

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
Your master cylinder should work fine. Just put an adjustable prop valve & I you will be good.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Im not doing the "tacoma" rear disc conversion. I think that would be a great option for Eric.

My axle comes with Wilwood disc brakes. I am going to add a prop valve and see what happens. I may have to go to a Wilwood master cylinder and front discs to match if I cant get the Toyota master cylinder to work. I would rather not due to cost.

Just go "borrow" those TRD big brakes off that FJ in the parking lot. :D