2001 4Runner build/fix log

balakay

BabyMax
After more thorough research and comparing gear ratios with a calculator online it looks like I am going to install the 4.30 gears and expect to jump up to 33s or 34s my next tire purchase.

On the left is 4.10s vs 4.30s on the right with the tires I am running currently; 265x75-16s. Gears were compared at Grimm Jeeper.
View attachment 2859

That's not bad at all.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Nope; and if/when I go to 33/34s it would be equal or better than now. I would still be above 2000 rpm at 70 mph so I would have power still.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Working on the wire prep for the switch install while paint dries on the switch blank.
14612009131441365650982.jpg

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Nice, are you going to the disc brake conversion Also?

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Roger did the full float conversion on his trail rig.

tx_shooter

Staff member
That is pretty sexy and would make sense on my trail trig. This 4R is going to stay to moderate wheeling and expo use for the foreseeable future.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Toyota e locker w/ 4.30 gears for both axles. I am looking up my best options for wiring the locker in right now. I do not really care if the dash indicator turns on; so I am likely to go with a single rocker for engaging/disengaging the locker.

balakay

BabyMax
Toyota e locker w/ 4.30 gears for both axles. I am looking up my best options for wiring the locker in right now. I do not really care if the dash indicator turns on; so I am likely to go with a single rocker for engaging/disengaging the locker.
Just get a locker that lights up when the locker is turned on. It won't be an indicator of whether the locker is actually engaged or not. But it'll be a reminder to turn it off.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Check out Low Range Off Road. I am pretty sure they have a wiring kit.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Check out Low Range Off Road. I am pretty sure they have a wiring kit.
Just get a locker that lights up when the locker is turned on. It won't be an indicator of whether the locker is actually engaged or not. But it'll be a reminder to turn it off.

Low Range switch and wiring kit should be here later this week.

tx_shooter

Staff member
So I installed a switch so as to be able to disable traction control/ VSC on my 4Runner. Everything worked great when I tested the switch with the dash open. Once I taped the wires and put the dash back together it quit working. The trac ctrl/VSC is disabled but the switch is not working to allow it to enable when the 4R is restarted. I am going to walk away and comeback to replace the ends under the hood one at a time. I just want to get this done before Jambo...

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Dang, that sucks.

did you add a fuse also?

tx_shooter

Staff member
No fuse. I took the 4R into town and the switch worked. Then it didn't work. I am thinking the switch (which was originally put in by the previous owner) might be bad.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Now that I have all my switches I am going to try to get my e-locker rear axle installed over the Memorial Day weekend. If I cannot get the front clam swapped out in time I will just drop the front drive shaft until then. Apparently the Chilton manual for the 2001 4Runner is not a common book. I have to order one online.