2015 Trail Edition Build

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Mine lasted about 35k, never rebuilt them, running ome now
Had OME and wasn't happy with how long they lasted. I'm seeing more & more threads pop up about people complaining about the longevity issues of them lasting as well. I blew through two sets of OME rear shocks before ordering Fox rears (which they lasted about as long as the OME did. I was not happy with the ride quality at all). But this is for the original style of OME and not the new setup they have (@SecretSquirrel is the only one I know that can comment on that).

Last edited:

Anathollo

Staff member
That's true but I think a lot of ICON artists followers are those that bought them years ago before they went to crap. A lot of the issues I have with them are poor engineering, cheap parts and questionable business practices. Not something I would expect for what their suspension costs.
There are plenty of diehard super-BRO Fox followers as well. Same with King shocks.

This is on a Tacoma.
DSC002142.JPG

CeSUA9NWQAA8y0L.jpg

Anathollo

Staff member

SecretSquirrel

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Staff member
Had OME and wasn't happy with how long they lasted. I'm seeing more & more threads pop up about people complaining about the longevity issues of them lasting as well. I blew through two sets of OME rear shocks before ordering Fox rears (which they lasted about as long as the OME did. I was not happy with the ride quality at all). But this is for the original style of OME and not the new setup they have (@SecretSquirrel is the only one I know that can comment on that).
BP51s are put together perfect, but they're stiffer than Kings out of the box and will need some dampening/rebound adjusting to get to your taste.

Oswego

n00b
My only comments will be in regards to finishing of materials and salt resistance from what I have owned with exception to Icon. I'd never buy anything from them for many reasons so my Icon comments are based on seeing a few locals.

King is superior. Took me a few years of driving for the first signs of corrosion to show. I had thought the body's were aluminum they held up so well, but after some "learning" I found out they are steel.
Icon is in the middle. Even with their "added expensive" bullshit coating they rust through the top coat in about a year over here. Might as well just get the normal ones and top coat them with a clear spray paint when you get them and save some $$.
Fox is towards the bottom. The thinnest possible clear coat over raw aluminum. Right out of the box I stripped mine down and repainted them. The lines and fitting still corroded within a year.
Bilstein is by far the worst. Raw brushed aluminum is tarded. They should be polished if left raw so the salt doesn't have brushed grooves to stick in. Their engineers are goofy and so is any market that would rather have a shock look cool than function for longer.

I suspect Icon's great marketing and black color is why they have been so popular with the mall crawlers. Their OE Tacoma shock models have been full of defects from poor metallurgy to poor R&D.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

I agree the rear shocks suck and maybe $ 0.02 better than stock

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Yep. I really wanted the SSO but they are still not done from the group buy last year and they are in the process of setting up a group buy for sliders and front bumpers. So chances of a rear bumper from them is bleak.

PSU Taco85

I do like CBI's designs and the fact that their customer support is top notch along with their turnaround time on production. One thing I did notice on their swingouts is that they leave a little to be desired after a few years of use. Craig's bumper started to crack where all the spare tire and jerry can mounts were welded to the swing arm. I would recommend adding a few gussets to it before you even paint it, to make it that much more bullet proof, here's what we did on his and they have been fine ever since :)

10845984_10107709114165304_6882475336761808868_n.jpg

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
I do like CBI's designs and the fact that their customer support is top notch along with their turnaround time on production. One thing I did notice on their swingouts is that they leave a little to be desired after a few years of use. Craig's bumper started to crack where all the spare tire and jerry can mounts were welded to the swing arm. I would recommend adding a few gussets to it before you even paint it, to make it that much more bullet proof, here's what we did on his and they have been fine ever since :)

Thanks. I opted for them to powder coat it. I had their swing out on my tacoma for over 2 years and no issues. I will also not be hanging a 35 off the back like Craig. I also will hang 2 Rotopax cans off the back when needed for trips.

PSU Taco85

Thanks. I opted for them to powder coat it. I had their swing out on my tacoma for over 2 years and no issues. I will also not be hanging a 35 off the back like Craig. I also will hang 2 Rotopax cans off the back when needed for trips.

Yeah you should be fine with just rotopax. I think he has a 35 plus two 5 gallon jerry cans on there. Just keep an eye on it over time I'm sure it will be good though. I always like CBI shit but went with relentless because I couldn't afford CBI at the time but I could afford to wait for the relentless shit lol

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
The customer service and turn around time help ease the price a little but its still $$. Figured with the new job taking time off this year will be harder so I will call this my build year and focus on trips next year.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Good looking welds!

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
New wheels. KMC Machete 17x8.5. Kept my same tires for now. And yes my tire shine game is strong today.
20170321_183735.jpg
20170321_183557.jpg