2nd Gen Tacoma front end maintenance question

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by tx_shooter, Jul 28, 2016.

1. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing spare time Staff Member

Looks like I need to replace the wearable items on the front end of my '06 Tacoma PreRunner. I have seen where people swear by using only OEM instead of any other aftermarket brand. So my question is such; is there a real difference in quality for a daily driver between OEM and Moog or AC Delco?

Trying to make an educated decision here.

2. tex

tex That's Mr Asshole to you

I have UCA with good ball joints if you want them.

tx_shooter likes this.
  3. tx_shooter

Probably in better shape than my ball joints with 250k miles on them. They were mostly highway miles so that makes it okay, right?

4. tex

tex That's Mr Asshole to you

If you are doing the work just change the UCA with ball joints.

5. tx_shooter

I will make sure to order the UCA bolts before hand so we do not have to call every Toyota dealership in DFW to find parts.

Still leaves the question about using non-OEM parts for the tie rod ends and such.

6. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

I will be replacing both tie rods in the morning, the moog is a bit bigger/thicker and has zerks, going to wake up early and knock it out so I can possible get an alignment as well if the loco shops are available.

7. tx_shooter

Bigger and thicker sounds like a good thing. Grease zerks tend to be an improvement as well.

8. Taco Loco

That's what she said

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    tx_shooter likes this.
  9. Taco Loco

image.jpg Hell its nice out this evening, rained earlier I might start this evening

10. taco4x4rar

taco4x4rar Well-Known Member

Moog quality has gone down hill recently, I'd shop raybestos or OEM now. That said the only thing I'd shell out OEM money for is a replacement steering rack or ps pump.

11. Taco Loco

Ok they must have redesigned thier boots...
    Don't get moog see the boot below, too big and wears out prematurely...
    IMO if the boot was better designed it would be fine, the casting appears to be better than oem

image.jpg image.jpg

OEM in center
    Moog top and bottom

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    tx_shooter likes this.
  12. Taco Loco

My 2 beer project tonight just turned into a keg, one new installed and putting one old OEM one back on, more parts to order and beer to follow up in fixing my truck.

13. Taco Loco

ULTRA-POWER ES80895 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fits Front Outer; 4WD; Base Model; X-Runner
    Or Front Outer; 2WD; Pre Runner; X-Runner

14. Taco Loco

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  15. tx_shooter

Thanks for the heads up; that is exactly what I am looking for.

16. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Moog tie rods suck. I put them on a few years ago the the zerks are impossible to thread in. Can't run a tap into it either. Took me longer to screw the zerks in then actually replace them. I haven't had any boot issues, but trucks only got 15k on it since. I never trust any brands grease so I flushed the stock crap out and put in my own before installation.

Long story short - if you got a 1/4 million miles out of OEM - stick with it.

I got less than 30k on mine so I wanted to "upgrade". Not so sure I actually did.

17. tx_shooter

Yeah; that is also a very valid point. The cost-to-mileage factor is very real with these parts.

18. Taco Loco

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  19. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

This.. last Moog's I bought (lower ball joints) had the grease zerk holes but they were not threaded. So impossible to get the zerk into it. I rigged up a small tap to thread them (standard tap was too deep) and it sorta worked. But stay away from them.

20. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

Ok.. not just the lower ball joints its anything they have that it threaded. Apparently the guy who threads shit took some time off.