3.0 to 3.4L swap (3VZ-E to 5VZ-FE)

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I'm a maybe for that one. We are having a house warming/halloween party in October. Don't know what date though.

drew02a

Staff member
Rocktober Fest?
http://katemcyrocks.com/schedule.html

Or even just a day trip to Longs...I'm going to want to play with my new lockers once it gets cooler outside

Good idea for a pre-run

I'm in, but only if Sean Goes... so I have someone who can tow me home, lol

Seriously though, I'm not a pussy like Rich. I'll head up there if she's running and road tested by then.

drew02a

Staff member
Here are some pictures of the Off Road Sollutions harness. It is a really well put together product.

Off_Road_Sollutions_3.0_to_3.4L_Conversion_Harness.jpg

There are 3 main sections to the harness. One end goes over to the driver side and has an OBDII port. That end also has 2 wires that go through the firewall and connect to the battery. The middle has all the connections for the ECU and Body harness. It also has a wire for connecting an aftermarket tachometer. The stock tachometer will still work as normal though.

Off_Road_Sollutions_3.0_to_3.4L_Conversion_ECU_and_Body_Harness_Connections.jpg

The other end of the harness goes through the firewall on the passenger side and has connections to the starter, transmission, and transfer case.

Off_Road_Sollutions_3.0_to_3.4L_Conversion_Starter_Transmission_and_Transfer_Case_Connections.jpg

drew02a

Staff member
Also, tonight I installed the fan and shroud. Because I raised up the transfer case mount which changed the angle of the drivetrain, I had to trim the fan shroud just a little to keep it from interfering with the fan. Here's a current picture of the engine bay. You'll notice the thick wire thats running across the top of the engine. Right now I'm planning to use that to connect dual batteries that will be on opposite corners of the engine compartment. For now, it is just supplies power to all the positive wires on driver side, including the starter.

3.0L_Fan_Shroud_and_3.4L_Fan.jpg

Silverback

Wait.. its hot out.. so I'm pretty sure Hell didn't freeze over. Drew worked on this? ;)

SamSter0077

Frack me..
Also, tonight I installed the fan and shroud. Because I raised up the transfer case mount which changed the angle of the drivetrain, I had to trim the fan shroud just a little to keep it from interfering with the fan. Here's a current picture of the engine bay. You'll notice the thick wire thats running across the top of the engine. Right now I'm planning to use that to connect dual batteries that will be on opposite corners of the engine compartment. For now, it is just supplies power to all the positive wires on driver side, including the starter.

3.0L_Fan_Shroud_and_3.4L_Fan.jpg

Sweet!

drew02a

Staff member
The ECU I needed came in the mail today. I was so anxious to see if this thing would fire up, I decided to turn it over even though I don't have any of the vacuum hoses connected. Result is exactly what you would expect from an engine with a massive vacuum leak... but it turned over, and I'm super stoked that it's this close to completion!

[video=youtube;IDuzm31a6yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDuzm31a6yw[/video]

sphealy06

I got some good links on complete write-ups and other info if you want them.

If you could share links or post it would be greatly appreciated. Looking at either rebuilding 3.slow in 1991 manual 4 runner or 3.4 swap still not sure. Stock engine has 175,xxx on it and #3 is not firing. Unsure why just got vehicle 2 days ago....but would like info to see if its even worth fixing 3.0 or just yanking it out. Vehicle is bone stock and great shape otherwise. Thanks in advance.

Silverback

PM Drew, he just completed a 3.0 to 3.4 swap.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Welcome to TOR; you might get a faster/better response by posting your question in a new thread.

sphealy06

Yeah I read his swap didn't have a lot of detail and then I saw his offer for info in this post. I'll pm him. Thanks for the quick responses

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Silverback

His threads did have more info in them but the site was hacked and we lost a LOT of posts. But he's cool and would provide a ton of info. Best of luck.