3rd gen 4Runner axle parts

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Since I installed the e-locker axle j now have a spare axle. The question I am now faced with is what is it compatible with? I will probably save the axle shafts for my current 3rd gen. Will the 3rd member install into my 1st gen 4Runner axles? Or am I better off trying to sell the whole thing or scrapping it?

IMG_20160925_113932465.jpg

Reactions: tex

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I think I would save the axles as spare parts.. sell the 3rd and scrap the housing. You can try to sell it though.

tx_shooter

Staff member
I have already been debating upgrading my rear axle shafts to chromely before one breaks so spares should become a non-issue.

But if the axles are the only usable part left over I will try to sell it as a whole first.

Last edited:

Silverback

Good deal.. Poly Performance sells them I believe.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Thanks; I am trying the whole "build it stronger than needed in the garage and don't worry about fixing stuff on the trail" with my DD.

I guess I will list this axle at $300 and see who wants it. Overall I think that is a pretty good deal consider the 3rd member is worth half that at least. If someone from TOR wanted there would be a discount of course.

Last edited:

Silverback

Good luck.

balakay

BabyMax
Why not just keep the axles and diff since you have two vehicles that could use them?

tx_shooter

Staff member
The 4Runner axle is not setup for leaf springs. Plus when/if I brake an axle on the '87 4Runner it will be upgrade to tons probably.

taco4x4rar

Same the third member and shafts, everything else is scrap, the third can go in either one of your rigs and spare shafts are good to have on hand on the off chance you break one

taco4x4rar

Yes the 4cyl and v6 are interchangeable

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
If you scrap the housing, cut it in half and make two axle jigs - one for you press and sell one.

Silverback

Silverback

to press wheel bearings on and off the axle shafts. Its a mother fucker.

Silverback

I like the one made with McMaster Carr parts.