3rd gen 4Runner Radiator - 2wd vs 4wd

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
So I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new radiator and I found where someone posted that there is a difference between 2wd and 4wd radiators. I did more digging and found that there are two different part numbers for the radiators. I put my VIN into one of the Toyota Parts websites and it brought up the $300 radiator as an auto/ 4x4 specific part. So my question is - why? What is the difference?

The price is pretty steep. The 2wd is $120 vs the 4wd for $340. I am still trying to find some sort of documentation on rows or size.

The 2wd radiator
4runner 2wd radiator.JPG

The 4wd radiator
4runner 4wd radiator.JPG

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I'd get the better one, as the last thing you need when 50 miles from anywhere (BBRSP for example) is a blown radiator.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Here's the info I found, I'd go with the cheaper one personally. I'm a cheap bastard :)

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum - View Single Post - Which radiator should I buy

Cheap Toyota is still not that cheap, lol Also neither of the parts in that link are the same part number. Think I went with the cheaper one 100,000 miles ago.

I'd get the better one, as the last thing you need when 50 miles from anywhere (BBRSP for example) is a blown radiator.

That is exactly the scenario I am trying to avoid here.

Silverback

Well if the last one got you 100k miles I say no reason not to buy it again. At the cost difference you would be close to 600k on your odometer by the time the more $$ one paid for itself.

Silverback

You know, now that we put this shit on the interwebs you will blow a radiator in November. <knock on wood>

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
You know, now that we put this shit on the interwebs you will blow a radiator in November. <knock on wood>

That's just wrong.

lol, he is a Marine, is that the only thing he blows?

PSU Taco85

If you are replacing radiator might as well divorce the trans cooler and get a larger aftermarket one to avoid the pink milkshake mod

tx_shooter

Staff member
If the same capacity, cheap one.
I sent an email to Camelback Toyota to see if they would explain the difference. Will see what they respond.

If you are replacing radiator might as well divorce the trans cooler and get a larger aftermarket one to avoid the pink milkshake mod
I replaced the radiator right after I bought the rig and setup an external cooler. They are in line right now; but I have been debating divorcing them lately. I am just hesitant to do that having seen conversations where the transmission takes an extra long time to get up to proper operating temperatures. As it is setup right now my transmission operates at 180ish the vast majority of the time.

balakay

BabyMax
Well I guess Camelback Toyota solved this one after messaging them.

there is no difference in between the 2wd and the 4wd the correct part number for the radiator you need is 16410-AZ011

The cheaper radiator wins today.

I did some looking last night. From what I saw, the $300 one is actually made in Japan. The other one is a Taiwanese (or something similar) knockoff.