96 Runner build

Broken Wrench

Picked up this little 96 for a fun build, engine was suspect due to oil leak. After a run through of the motor fluids and visual inspection found oil level was good, so I went to crank it up and a squeal let out and cranked up. The idle was good but squeal concerned me so I shut it down, more engine poking and low and behold the AC belt was snapped. Pulled it free and went for another hit on the key, purred like a kitten. So I let it idle and started putting it through some paces without any issues, it is common for an AC compressor to lock up and can stall a motor if at idle and in gear at a light. Well it turns out AC is locked up hard clutch and all, so just have to replace valve cover gaskets swap in a new compressor.

plan is to convert it to 4wd and add a lift w/e-locker rear for a mild trail rig for now. After that I will SAS it with link kit. Mean time I have door panels out of 2000 sport w/tweeters and leather seats in good condition , have make it nice and comfy inside

Last edited:

Mauzer

Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er
Good start, Drew has a complete 4.10 elocker rear for that thing that I'm sure he'll let go for the right price.;)

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
:popcorn:

Watching this one. Good luck with the build.

SecretSquirrel

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Staff member
Good start, Drew has a complete 4.10 elocker rear for that thing that I'm sure he'll let go for the right price.;)

LOL... I'm guessing you've never seen his parts shelves at the Yota Ranch

Broken Wrench

4.10's aren't bad but not sure what ratio I want yet.

Sad part is I sold my 97 4runner e-locker housing a couple months back, now I am kicking myself. It would have bolted right in, but never thought I would own a 3rd gen either. Just finished valve cover gaskets, no more leaks and on to AC after my hand has a rest. Not suppose to be doing any heavy work with it yet, still a little tender pushing on the old wrenchs.

Last edited:

balakay

BabyMax

Is it a 4Runner housing or Tacoma housing?

Mauzer

4.10's aren't bad but not sure what ratio I want yet.

Sad part is I sold my 97 4runner e-locker housing a couple months back, now I am kicking myself. It would have bolted right in, but never thought I would own a 3rd gen either. Just finished valve cover gaskets, no more leaks and on to AC after my hand has a rest. Not suppose to be doing any heavy work with it yet, still a little tender pushing on the old wrenchs.
Drew has the housing and diff, I bet he'd separate
Is it a 4Runner housing or Tacoma housing?
It's a 4runner housing but they are same width as 95.5-04 Tacoma...just gotta cut off all the brackets

Last edited:

balakay

BabyMax
Drew has the housing and diff, I bet he'd separate

It's a 4runner housing but they are same width as 95.5-04 Tacoma...just gotta cut off all the brackets

Ahh. I'd want a Tacoma housing so I could just bolt it in and go. I'll just do the 8.4 ARB through ECGS.

Broken Wrench

I happen to have a taco e-locker housing ,just have to add the axle mount plates back to bottom of axle. I switched them to the top

SamSter0077

Frack me..
oh, another 3rd gen to the gang eh? Nice. I would absolutely love to see you do a link sas on it.. I think the Leaf Kits are too high for the 3rd gen. 4.88 gears make that truck feel like a turbo...

Broken Wrench

Sam,what kind of mpg's you get with 4.88s and your running 285s ? Want to keep it driveable for boys to use when they want to or need to drive it.

Mauzer

Sam,what kind of mpg's you get with 4.88s and your running 285s ? Want to keep it driveable for boys to use when they want to or need to drive it.

Sam rolls 255's, I have 4.88's and 285's and get around 14-16 MPG (rough estimate). I haven't calculated it in a while

Broken Wrench

okay, I am wanting to stay with a 285 or 315 max. Just not sold on running 5.29s with either tire setup at the moment.

Anyone running 5.29s with either tire combo, if so what's your mpg's and how far off are your speedo numbers ?

Last edited:

Broken Wrench

okay, I am wanting to stay with a 285 or 315 max. Just not sold on running 5.29s with either tire setup at the moment.

Anyone running 5.29s with either tire combo, if so what's your mpg's ?

SamSter0077

Frack me..
oh, another 3rd gen to the gang eh? Nice. I would absolutely love to see you do a link sas on it.. I think the Leaf Kits are too high for the 3rd gen. 4.88 gears make that truck feel like a turbo...

I was getting 19 highway with the 4.10 gears... I know it's gone down wth the 4.88 but I am not sure how much..probably 16...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Sam could replace his throttle pedal with an on and off switch!! lol

Broken Wrench

door panels done, what an improvement. the coach stuff had been abused and glue was coming off , so they stapled the edges back. Hacks
old

new

new head unit w/Bluetooth debating adding an amp, either way much better that beat stock unit.

Last edited: