Alternative Oil Filter

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
From another site.

Some time ago, a user on another forum suggested that a Mobil 1 M1-209 filter would work as an oversize filter instead of the considerably smaller Mobil 1 M1-102. It took me awhile to convince myself that he is right, but I think I am finally convinced.

First of all, on the Wix website, I cross-referenced both of the above filters to the equivalent Wix models. M1-102 is a Wix 51348; M1-209 is a Wix 51516. Specs from this website (http://www.wixfilters.com) are identical except for length:

Thread size: 3/4-16
By-Pass valve setting - 8-11 PSI
Anti-Drainback Valve - Yes
Outer Diameter top - 2.921

Gasket dimensions:
OD: 2.734
ID: 2.430
Thk: 0.226

This wasn't quite enough for me, so I bought an M1-102 and M1-209 and cut them apart. Again, identical in every respect I can see, except that the M1-209 filter is about half again as long as the M1-102. Also, the M1-209 is very close in size to the Original Equipment filter that came with my GS-430 - A Toyota 90915-20004. It puzzles me why Mobil doesn't specify the M1-209 filter for my GS-430. The only possible reason I can think of is that by specifying the M1-102, they are assured that the same filter will fit in nearly all Toyota/Lexus applications. On my GS-430 though, there is plenty of extra room for the larger filter, again noting that the M1-209 is only very slightly larger than the OEM filter.

Anyway, I do have several pictures if anyone cares to see them, but they are fairly large in file size.

Of course, if your Toyota/Lexus is still under warranty, you would be well advised to stick with what is recommended for your car to preserve the warranty. But in my case, I am going to be using the M1-209.....

SecretSquirrel

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Staff member
Been using the M1-209 since my 1st oil change...

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
I just get OE Toyota filters from the dealership.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
You guys are good!

AlienXtx

Nignog
I'm using a Royal Purple oil filter.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Also, having made oil coolers for literally a 100 companies that sell them as their own, I wouldn't be surprised if ALL of these filters are manufactured in a small Chinese village!

... by an American company that puts the $0.40 filter into a $.50 box and sells them as USA assembled! :)

AlienXtx

Nignog

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER

AlienXtx

Nignog