Anathollo's build

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
I rotated my tires last night and damn near stripped out two wheel locks. So I ordered some McGard lugnuts and wheel locks (thanks @Silverback for the recommendation!). My current ones are some cheapo lug nuts from Vatozone. I was lucky to get as much time out of them as I did...

While I was rotating my tires, I discovered that my driver side inner CV boot was leaking a tiny bit. The hose clap had slid off so I re-tightened the hose clamp and cleaned off the boot which led me to see that there are dry-rotting cracks all over the damn boot. So they are on their way out regardless. I was going to buy the SDHQ CV boots again but after some Google-fu I saw that people were having the same dry-rotting issue so I just ordered an OEM Toyota CV boot rebuild kit.

Edit: Re-wrote this post after my coffee kicked in. Hopefully it makes more sense now lol

Last edited:

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I need to rebuild my OEM CVs and get them reinstalled at some point. I keep trying to talk Sean into rebuilding them

Anathollo

Staff member
I need to rebuild my OEM CVs and get them reinstalled at some point. I keep trying to talk Sean into rebuilding them
If you pull em, I'll help you rebuild em.

Anathollo

Staff member
Well I learned an expensive lesson this past week. My 3 chinesium LED brake light bulbs stopped working (surprise there!) so while I was replacing those, I decided to remove this decal I had put on my third brake light around 10 years ago. You can see how bad the decal has gotten after 10 years or so in the elements. I bought this decal for $5 at my first Tacoma off-road meetup from Sockmonkey (IIRC?) before he stopped making custom decals for people.
20190206_173512.jpg

After getting the decal off, the adhesive was still stuck on there so I sprayed some 3M adhesive remover on the cover. Well I had forgotten to wash the soapy water off the lens so the adhesive remover reacted with the soapy water and ruined the lens. :facepalm: So after browsing the web, they only sell the lens as part of the whole brake light assembly, so $93 later from TRDparts4u, it showed up on my doorstep. At least it came with new brake light bulbs! lol
20190210_143118.jpg

italynstylion

I think the TRD decals on my rear fenders are from Sockmonkey too actually. Mine have done VERY well but are starting to fade a little since the truck is parked outside all the time. Might have to take a page from your book and remove them at some point.

Anathollo

Staff member
I think the TRD decals on my rear fenders are from Sockmonkey too actually. Mine have done VERY well but are starting to fade a little since the truck is parked outside all the time. Might have to take a page from your book and remove them at some point.
Yeah use the 3M sticker wheel with the 3M adhesive remover. Just make sure you keep the wheel moving around constantly and don't hold it in one spot. Just don't mix soapy water and the 3M adhesive remover spray! lol

achirdo

2WD FTW
Well I learned an expensive lesson this past week. My 3 chinesium LED brake light bulbs stopped working (surprise there!) so while I was replacing those, I decided to remove this decal I had put on my third brake light around 10 years ago. You can see how bad the decal has gotten after 10 years or so in the elements. I bought this decal for $5 at my first Tacoma off-road meetup from Sockmonkey (IIRC?) before he stopped making custom decals for people.
View attachment 13477

After getting the decal off, the adhesive was still stuck on there so I sprayed some 3M adhesive remover on the cover. Well I had forgotten to wash the soapy water off the lens so the adhesive remover reacted with the soapy water and ruined the lens. :facepalm: So after browsing the web, they only sell the lens as part of the whole brake light assembly, so $93 later from TRDparts4u, it showed up on my doorstep. At least it came with new brake light bulbs! lol
View attachment 13476

I just ordered some chinesium brake lights and 3rd brake light for the 16 3500. Hopefully they don't suck. Once again, insurance paying for them. Made by Spyder

Anathollo

Staff member
I just ordered some chinesium brake lights and 3rd brake light for the 16 3500. Hopefully they don't suck. Once again, insurance paying for them. Made by Spyder
My issue was the bulbs. They literally came apart in the housing. The lens I ordered was OEM Toyota because all the chinesium ones failed within a year.

Anathollo

Staff member
Changed my cabin air filter out. It was wayyy past due. I added a reminder in my calendar to change it out in six months.

Also, ordered and got in new battery terminal connectors. The military terminals I have now are junk and keep coming loose on their own.

I also have to adjust my hood and hood latch when I get home tonight. Damn thing came half open when I left the house this morning.

Anathollo

Staff member
Finally got around to installing those battery terminals. They seem to be much better quality than the ones I had on there.
Fastronix Military Spec Battery Terminal Top Post Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X36RILW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TI0ECb6ECNHYA

I was also planning on changing my rear diff fluid but the metal was peened over and almost touching the 24mm bolt. I was able to chunk some of it out but I'm going to order a new bolt and once that comes in, I'll cut the old one out. You can't really tell from this pic.
20190302_145513.jpg

I'm gonna order some diff armor to keep this from happening again.

Last edited:

achirdo

2WD FTW
Finally got around to installing those battery terminals. They seem to be much better quality than the ones I had on there.
Fastronix Military Spec Battery Terminal Top Post Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X36RILW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TI0ECb6ECNHYA

I was also planning on changing my rear diff fluid but the metal was peened over and almost touching the 24mm bolt. I was able to chunk some of it out but I'm going to order a new bolt and once that comes in, I'll cut the old one out. You can't really tell from this pic.
View attachment 13784
I'm gonna order some diff armor to keep this from happening again.
Need to run some hardfacing welding rod around that protector piece. Same stuff they put on earth moving buckets and blades to keep themthem from wearing out

Reactions: tex

Anathollo

Staff member
Need to run some hardfacing welding rod around that protector piece. Same stuff they put on earth moving buckets and blades to keep themthem from wearing out
Sounds like I need to make a trip up to Dallas

Oswego

n00b
NP. Least I could do.

then when the drain plug socket gets fubar/stripped out in a few years (like all Tacoma transfer cases) you can simply give it a sex change by tack welding a 19mm nut to it for removal

Anathollo

Staff member
Adjusted my hood so it'll stop shaking when I get past 55mph on the freeway.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Adjusted my hood so it'll stop shaking when I get past 55mph on the freeway.

I was driving on I-35 this weekend and noticed the hood of a SUV shaking like a paint shaker as I passed them. I could not imagine driving that and wondering when it was going to flip back to destroy the windshield. So I pushed the gas pedal a little more and got away from that ticking time bomb.

Anathollo

Staff member
I was driving on I-35 this weekend and noticed the hood of a SUV shaking like a paint shaker as I passed them. I could not imagine driving that and wondering when it was going to flip back to destroy the windshield. So I pushed the gas pedal a little more and got away from that ticking time bomb.
:confused: that's been me for the past couple of days.

Anathollo

Staff member
Finally washed the exterior of my Tacoma and wife's car after a year of neglecting them. Also realized that my detailing items were either getting old or completely out so I ordered a bunch of stuff. I need to clay bar my wife's car and...repaint my whole truck lol