Anthony's 87 4runner - The old grey bush

PSU Taco85

well here is the latest project in the works. I will continue to update this thread as things progress. I picked her up last weekend, big thanks to my buddy Jay for driving me down there to pick it up! I drove it home 2 hours from Maryland it and rode pretty decent up to 60 mph. The frame is in great shape but the interior is beat up andneeds a little work.

The plan is to fix up the inside a bit while collecting parts for the SAS. The fuel gauge, e-brake, and 4wd light aren't working and the back window won't go down on its own.

Specs
1989 4runner
22re 5 speed 189k miles
Manual hubs
Mucho bueno stereo tape deck
Bone stock except for a bull bar (removed)

The day I brought her home

Snowed on her already

The previous owner booger welded the bull bar right to the frame so I chopped that off, looks alot better already

Picked up an inclinometer and SR5 gauge cluster from a dude parting one out by me. Need to wait for the new oil sender to get ordered from the local vato zone before I swap it out.

Future plans:
Fix the back window and rest of interior

Check the timing chain/install new metal guides if needed

SAS ideas:

FZJ80 front axle with RUF
Ruffstuff or diamond FZJ80 width rear axle
Cheby 63 swap for the rear
Hydro assist
dual cases
lockers of sort
big ass tires
cool ass bumpers

Stay tuned. Look forward to some of your guys input as I'm a newb when it comes to these older rigs and I know you all got some bad ass ones already :D

Last edited:

PSU Taco85

Ok I've been lacking on this project big time, but between buying a house, building a garage, changing jobs, fixing tow pig, life, etc. I have not updated this thread in a long time. So I decided to keep the 89 4runner stock and leave it parked in the garage for spare parts/possible restoration build in the future. About a year and a half ago I stumbled across a deal I could not refuse, a 1987 4runner that a friend was selling.

22re SR5 model
5 speed
3" body lift
3" drivetrain lift
6" drop bracket lift
5.29s front and rear open/open

The drop bracket had broken when he was offroading it (surprise) so he wanted to unload it for cheap. I couldn't pass up the deal. I figured if I'm going to be beating a truck up on the trails might as well start with one that's already had a few dings and dents :D

Loaded it up in my tacoma and drove it home
full

full

It was still semi-drivable under 5mph just had to take it easy since the drop bracket was snapped. Here it is parked at my place
full

Next to the stock 89 for size comparison
full

The hellfire knuckle setup (before ruff stuff bought them out)
full

In the new shop with the FJ80 front axle
full

23 spline in and out crawl box (marlin gears, trail gear adapter)
full

Chevy 63s
full

IFS being torched
full

full

full

Final strip cut with a hack saw lol

PSU Taco85

Okay - that axle has me drooling. So how long is that bumper going to last?

I put it up for sale on craigslist, bumper is sooo 1987 haha. This week I plan on cleaning the frame up and ordering some parts. Trying to keep it a simple build and somewhat budgeted (we all know how that goes).

Leafs F/R
New clutch with R151F transmission (already have trans sitting in the shop)
Fab up new bumper front/rear
Sliders
Eventual cage

If anybody wants an IFS front diff w/5.29s or lockout hubs, spindles, axles, UCA/LCA let me know. I know most everyone is out in Texas so shipping would probably kill any deal but I'd rather see them go to good use rather than sell to some fucktard around by me lol

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Hell yea man. Keep the old iron alive and representing.