AZTacoLuvr's Build Page
5114005471_379c2f7ffb.jpg

BLHM (Blacked Out Head Light) Mod,
Color Match Grill Bezel, and Satoshi Grill Mod

5167562779_f576ba2019.jpg

5112442174_1cbc978c13.jpg

Some changes...

5163080366_aa698876a5.jpg

Just waiting on my Camburg spindles and then the build get going.
Next week they come in...

My Tacoshi Grill Mod

Last edited:

AZTacoluvr

Satoshi Grill Thread - ALL satoshi pics/ writeups go here

My Tacoshi Grill
5168164526_27d9068dd1_m.jpg

5162473725_074d81f7b8.jpg

I purchased the expanded steel from a local weld shop and fabricator here in Phoenix.

5162474163_f23e2f239e.jpg

First step after removing the grill, use a small coping saw or Dremel and remove the center ribs.

5188944632_5c12ae5ca7_m.jpg

After removal you will have two notched out sections on each side.

5163100708_2b4db924e4.jpg

From this cutout section is were you will salvage pieces for filling the cut out

5189712250_368fe83918.jpg

a.) Take a piece of study cardboard and place it behind the notches and trace out a template to use
for tracing out your pieces to cut from your cutout pieces from the factory grill center.
b.) trace onto the salvage plastic, the pieces to cutout.

Note: take your time. The more precise the cuts the easier it is to put in place for gluing. This is where the true craftsman comes into play. You only have a couple of flat pieces to work with so be careful.

5189120043_da6e82fa37.jpg

Your pieces should look something like this. Or close too.

5164841657_0e1cc3223f.jpg

This glue is incredible strong and sets up pretty fast. I recommend letting it set up overnight.
When it is dry it sets up like fiber glass without all the mess. Just don't get to crazy with it
you have to sand all the excess off and, like I said, it is like a rock when it sets.

5162493197_8856e35de0.jpg

After setting up, time to sand.

5164840575_544d5fae80.jpg

After the first round of sanding, I applied body filler to the holes and any gaps.
Then round 2 of sanding.

5164841151_0de9f4b713.jpg

a.) Next, I trimmed my steel to around to 1" overlap of the grill hole cut out and trimmed it to shape.
- To get my shape I flipped over the grill font side down and laid my steel on the cutout and positioned it so that the pattern was level [horizontally] and with a SHARPIE, drew out my pattern.
My expanded steel was stiff and study but I was able to complete my cuts with tin snips.
Once again, take time and draw out your cuts and don't rush.
b.) I then primed it with 3 coats of primer.
c.) Then painted it with 4 coats of Morton's Truck and Bed.
5136261208_72ee1e8fd3.jpg

Sprays on thick and has a textured look and finish.

5164842005_9c16ae1f88.jpg

Placed 12 screws around the outside of the grill and glued them down with the glue that I used
to glue my cutouts in place.

Note: I filed down one side of the screws so they laid flat against the grill so that they ran straight with the grill and not at a angle.

5167561435_354d760833.jpg

Bolted down and sprayed the back side with the Morton's [not shown]

5167562779_f576ba2019.jpg

... done. Took a emblem off the ass end, trimmed it and bam!

Just a couple notes: Don't rush this. If you want it to turn out right, take your time. My job took 4 days.
This isn't a day project and some give the impression it is.

Secondly, do it right. I have seen grill made with flimsy grating for airducts and all crazy shit. USE high quality EXPANDED STEEL. Just don't get it too thick. REMEMBER, YOU HAVE TO CUT IT!

Lastly, take care to mount it properly. I have seen folks mount the grill with zip ties WTF! You created this work of art why would you go on the cheap!?

My grill with stand up to punishment. It will the car wash, machine, hand pressure. But I went the extra mile.

Take your time. You are customizing.

My Taco build

Last edited:

AZTacoluvr

update my Camburgs are in powder coating...

Next week sometime. SDHQ said before Thanksgiving. Will be busy next week if they do.

AlienXtx

Nignog
Nice looking truck

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
update my Camburgs are in powder coating...

Next week sometime. SDHQ said before Thanksgiving. Will be busy next week if they do.

Cool! What color powdercoating?

AZTacoluvr

Got the assend up yesterday.

Icon AALs and 5100s.

Nite and day as for the ride.

5207676269_d42ba0fe6d.jpg

Silverback

Your bed bob didn't line up. ;)

Thats a cool pic though, never seen anyone do it like that.

AZTacoluvr

Sorry for the absence...

I got all my 5100s on Saturday. Removed the spacer lift, getting ready for my Camburgs which still haven't come in.

Frigging SDHQ kinda screwed me out of the Camburg Sale 3 week ago, and my gear still hasn't come in. Camburg says they wanted to wait to send spindles when the brake lines came in. Poor. Just Poor. No inventory, but atleast don't string me along for 4 weeks saying 3 days, 3 days...

And then I miss the sale...

Any whoo, SDHQ said Tomorrow?

We'll see.

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
AZtacoluver, I physically removed your post in the BS thread

Not sure why you are so worried about your build. It is pretty similar to my Tacomas, mine is a double cab pre-runner longbed. I traded my 2000 tacoma access cab 4x4 for it when my wife & I started having babies because I needed the space for car seats. I am keeping my Tacoma as a clean daily driver, and working on another project 4runner to satisfy my wanting to beat on something. My 4runner build is as low budget as they get, and while one might argue that I cannot afford another project, I for sure cannot afford to beat on my daily driver. Once more, parts for my rig are much cheaper than parts for the Tacoma. Maybe that is the solution for you too. Keep your tacoma mild and good looking, find something else to beat up.

For reference - My Tacoma.
102_1769.jpg

My 4runner
864runner280.jpg

Them playing nice together
DSCN5884.jpg

Silverback

I was just about to reply to your post in the BS thread. What I was going to say was this.

Its not that I hate the look of the black on black Taco, or even the components (although those RBP grills are pretty ugly). Its just not my style. The thing that makes those guys total douchebags is their "bro" attitude and using the words "murdered out". If a guy wants to color match his steering wheel to match his boyfriends panties then so be it. Just don't pretend that you "wheel it" when you are taking pictures behind Costco.

As for your rig.. its coming along nicely man. We all have daily drivers and 97% of us have wheeled them (a few don't but only because its rocks and they are 2WD).. so we understand you have to balance the family and the fun.

Now what is the perfect balance... thats your call man. What suits you? What makes you happy and what do you think is important. In terms of my truck... well I went past the center line of normalcy a long time ago so my opinion isn't really worth shit. :)

AlienXtx

Nignog
Hold on...were not supposed to wheel the shit out of our new DD? I wish one of you assholes would have said something to me a year ago...lol

Last edited:

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
It's cool keith, feel free to wheel the shit outta yours, I'm just saying that I wouldn't do it to mine! LMAO!