bakerla's wife's no name 4Runner

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Wife’s 2014 4Runner Trail. Mainly our family adventure vehicle.

This 'build' will be used to document the 4Runners modifications, maintenance / service and trips.

Armor
Budbuilt front, mid and trans skids - painted and ready to install
Shrockworks sliders

Suspension
Bilstein 6112s w/ 600 lb coils
Wheelers T13 rear coils w/ Bilstein 5160s
Front and rear Wheeler's Superbumps

Kicks
Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/70/17

Engine / Driveline
Stock gearing
Engine: Mobil 1 5w30 w/ OEM oil filter
Front diff: Lucas Oil 80w90
Transfer case: Lucas Oil 80w90
Rear diff: Lucas Oil 80w90

Interior
Husky Liners floor mats
LED lighting

Misc
Frontrunner Slimline roof rack
Frontrunner awning
NoLoss valve caps

Wishlist
fridge

Maintenance / Service
  • 15k service on 02/22/2015 at 15,069 miles
  • 25k service on 09/12/2015 at 25,231 miles
  • 35k service on 06/13/2016 at 36,060 miles
  • 45k service on 3/11/2017 at 46,187 miles
  • 55k service on ?? at ?? miles
  • Drain and fill front and rear diff, transfer cases oils on 01/07/2018 at 59,956 miles
  • 65k service on 5/21/2018 at 64,899 miles
  • 75k service on 12/23/2018 at 75,014 miles
  • Front and rear brakes on 04/21/2019 at 78,200 miles
  • 85k service on 08/21/2019 at 85,120 miles

Favorite beach, San Luis Pass
full

Mineral Creek Trail in Colorado
full

Imogene Pass, Colorado
full

Gore Canyon
full

Last edited:

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Almost didn't want to paint these, the steel looks so nice. They're painted and ready to install on the next oil change. Went with a 3 piece "overland protection", lite steel (1/8") for the trans and mid skids. Front is the regular thickness of 3/16". I'm not happy with the RCI aluminum ones. I'll post some comparison pics once these are our on.

full

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Who makes those? Are the RCI on the Taco?

Silverback

I thought I remembered you bought the aluminum ones for the 4R. Can't go wrong with BB.

Silverback

Well.. don't leave us hanging.. use more words. :) What suspension did you order?

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Looking forward to the comparison review of the new 1/8" skids that replaced the aluminum ones.

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Not much to report on the suspension, pretty standard lift per my reading. Bilstein 6112 front (1.6"), Wheelers rear coils (1.5"), Bilstein 5160 rear, Wheelers superbumps front and back. Hoping to not need UCAs.

Those steel skid plates already look better. Little disappointed on the install. One of the holes up front didn't line up proper. Wasn't terrible to remedy, but still. The Budbuilt plates provide much better protection to the front LCA cam bolts than the RCI ones did. Haven't yet had to change the oil with these plates, but that's coming up next month I project.

Oswego

n00b
Can't go wrong w/the superbumps over OE. Big difference if you go in too hot from time to time. Good luck on the alignment #'s

I don't know anyone who's been able to just bolt up good skids, but I'd be sure to give them constructive feedback. For some reason a bolt hole missing or being off is always part of the fun. If a company could get their stuff strait and efficient you'd think they could make a killing. I'd bet a marble countertop guy could 3d model the bolt points and figure out basic skids in a hr or two with his 3d maping tools. My skids from the og ATO were missing a hole in one and his cross-member was designed to be right where the exhaust flange was so it rattled. His "mock up" was on his custom exhausted Tac or so he said when I inquired on the design modifications I suggested after my install

bakerla

Man, Myth, Legend
Finished up the lift this morning. 1.6" up front 1" in rear. Rides a lot better. I never liked the stock suspension, too soft and squishy feeling. Will get an alignment Monday and will be all set.

Couple weeks ago I replaced both front driver and passenger door locks actuators. Should have done those awhile back. Pretty common issue with the 4Runners from what I've read.

full

balakay

BabyMax
Finished up the lift this morning. 1.6" up front 1" in rear. Rides a lot better. I never liked the stock suspension, too soft and squishy feeling. Will get an alignment Monday and will be all set.

Couple weeks ago I replaced both front driver and passenger door locks actuators. Should have done those awhile back. Pretty common issue with the 4Runners from what I've read.

full

Yep, @tex just replaced one of his actuators not too long ago.

4Runner is looking good!

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Yes to the actuators. I replaced both fronts about 2 months apart. Fairly easy to do.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
I wanted to like that size but limited offerings and most or all weight about the same as a 285/75/17 I went with the bigger size. Also now it's a stock size for the Jeep Gladiator rubicon there are a good amount of offerings in C load range.