bakerla's wife's no name 4Runner

Discussion in '4Runner Offroad Builds' started by bakerla, Aug 6, 2019.

1. bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Yea, I'm seeing 275/70/17 is quite limited now. Falken Wildpeaks come in that size and load rating, but they are a heavy tire.

2. bakerla

I hate when alignments don't work out. Trying to get a pull to the right fixed...

3. tex

tex That's Mr Asshole to you

Firestone or NTB doing it?

4. bakerla

Neither, some other local shop. I went thru this same shit with my Tacoma. Took a half dozen or so tries after i lifted it,a took it to a shop 45 mins from home that was recommended.

5. tex

tex That's Mr Asshole to you

Someone that knows what they are doing with alignments is priceless. Make the drive

6. CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco Well-Known Member

Alignments seems like such a basic thing, yet experience speaks volumes. I always ask how long the alignment tech has been doing alignments.

That's one thing I wish was easier to DIY....

7. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Good luck man. I only ever found one shop that was a 2+ hr drive away that could do it right consistently. The drive sucked but worth it in the end.

I got lucky using Firestone but that was always my back up not primary. I also had Firestone flatten out my cam tabs and try to give it back to me like that. Same ding dongs who put the wrong valve stems and weights on my tires....

In the end it all comes down to the shop having at least one guy who knows whats up. This is not rocket science here.....

8. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

You can try this shop. I used to go first thing in the morning because they get REALLY busy. If you can't make it in the morning, I would call and schedule a time with them. But I haven't taken my Tacoma there because I have the lifetime alignment from Firestone. I have taken my stepdad's diesel to get aligned there and that's the only place he would go around town. My buddy uses them for his diesel truck and his dad's diesel truck as well.
    Auto Service & Auto Repair in Pasadena | Axle and Wheel Aligning Co.
    920 W Pasadena Freeway Frontage Rd, Pasadena, TX 77506

bakerla likes this.
  9. bakerla

Firestone is only good for toe and go alignments. I have the lifetime alignment on my truck and use it on occasion. I have to tell them everytime, don't touch the caster. It's set really high and out of spec on purpose, but my truck drives straight.

What's worse than dealing with alignment stuff, is taking time off work to do it...

Anathollo and Oswego like this.
  10. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

^^
    This!

11. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Last time I got a good alignment (I always check them with chalk on my tires) I wanted to weld some tacks on my cams to help them stay in place, but never looked into if that was a good or bad idea.

12. tx_shooter

tx_shooter You ever try to roughie a bear? Staff Member

Guess I got lucky with my alignment. I took the 4Runner to the dealership that @RichardB23 works at to get it done on a Saturday morning. I was in and out in around an hour with no issues at all. They even gave the rig a couple looks over to make sure nothing else was wrong/ could be a service work for them. @balakay had his Tacoma alignment done at the same dealership with the same results.

13. balakay

balakay She ain't fat, bruh... She just a lil' thick.

Yep, well worth the drive up there and the $100. I have the Firestone lifetime alignment on the truck and it's nice when I do something and I need to get an alignment to hold me over until I can get up there and get a real alignment. But driving more than a few days on a Firestone alignment gets old fast.

14. Anathollo

I schedule my Firestone alignments for the first appointment on Saturday morning. That way I'm first in line and get it over with.

Oswego likes this.
  15. Anathollo

Bad idea. You don't want to weld onto that paper thin Tacoma frame if you can help it. It's also a bitch to get to the inside cams to grind with tools.

16. Oswego

Oswego n00b

I do that with everything from car inspections at DMV to banking. Hit them first and early and hope they aren't still drunk from Friday night, or for car inspections - I hope they are hungover and miss stuff lol

Anathollo likes this.
  17. bakerla

I went here this morning and was out in 40 minutes. They corrected the alignment by splitting the caster even more. The tech said the alignment I came in with should have driving straight and on paper looked like it should be tire pull. The pull started after the lift and had no issues prior. He did the work anyways.

18. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

how does it drive now?

19. bakerla

Sorry. I implied it drives straight but didn't come out and say it. It drives straight. Caster was maxed on passenger side so he dropped it on the driver said. Doubled the split from .8 to 1.6 degrees.

Oswego and Taco Loco like this.
  20. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

good deal!