Big Bend Ranch State Park - Dec 2017

unevolved

I think I'm going to wind up with a few NATO cans. That way I can transition to a swingout mounted carrier later when I go that route.

unevolved

Add a plus one truck for me or brice, we've got another friend coming. Aforementioned Tacoma.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Add a plus one truck for me or brice, we've got another friend coming. Aforementioned Tacoma.

Updated the first post. Going to need a head count for passengers to make sure the campsites are okay for the number of people and rigs pretty soon.

So roughly thinking of a trip like this....

Campsites and Movement plan:

Dec 27: Arrive at the park, spend the night at Ojo Escondido Pens (2 sites reservered) has a bathroom

Dec 28: Explore the Los Alamos and Soliterio 4x4 unmaintained roads during the day, then drive to Pila Montoya 1 for the night

Dec 29: Drive past the Ranger Station (chance for a shower), drive Madrid Falls Road, hiking trails possible, spend the night at Javelin Pens (2 sites reserved)

Dec 30: Drive the 4x4 unmaintained road from Javelin to Guale trails, then over to Las Burras trails, then back to main road to get back to South Leyva for the last night (has bathroom, close to showers)

Dec 31: Check out and head home

Depending on the group and conditions I would be up for a hike each day. Some days have more miles than others but all the days are flexible. Nothing is wrote in stone and is set to be changed due to road closures or extreme weather.

Scanned map attached for reference; will upload a KML later.

Attachments

• BBRSP-East.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 1
  • BBRSP-West.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

unevolved

We (myself, Brice, and Will) each have one person per vehicle.

I'd say we're all in for daily hikes.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
We (myself, Brice, and Will) each have one person per vehicle.

I'd say we're all in for daily hikes.

But you are sharing a 2 man tent. Gotcha! ;)

balakay

BabyMax
Wish this trip was the next week. Would work perfect with my work/school schedule.

unevolved

Vacation approved for the whole week. Planning on heading down from dfw early on the 27th with Brice (@Yunohoo) and our buddy Will is going to head west from Houston and meet us there.

tx_shooter

Staff member
lol I was actually debating trying to leave a day early and go to Christmas mountain and explore a few trails on the river side of the park before the "official" trip starts.

tx_shooter

Staff member
First post updated with tire/ gear info. A decent 2M radio will be a real benefit for truck-to-truck communication while we are out there.

unevolved

License required?

tx_shooter

Staff member
A HAM license is a good thing to have; but we will be avoiding repeater channels so as to limit the area we transmit to. I think @balakay has a lead on a 1 day HAM class and test that I am going to try to go to.

unevolved

Okay, I'll put one on my list. Probably not at the top, though. It's getting to be a long list.

balakay

BabyMax
A HAM license is a good thing to have; but we will be avoiding repeater channels so as to limit the area we transmit to. I think @balakay has a lead on a 1 day HAM class and test that I am going to try to go to.

Yeah, I'm going to make a post later about it. That way more DFW people can join if they want.