Big Bend Ranch State Park - Dec 2017

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Looks like you found some of that Wi-Fi at the ranger station. Great sunset or rise!

Oswego

n00b
I need to get out west... can't get that scenery here and that looks amazing

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Those were sunrise pics. The ranger station WiFi is still crap but free so it is free crap.

Yesterday up on the Jeep Trails above the Solitario.

20171228_124503.jpg

Road to Nowhere is a great trail although my sammich maker is glad it was only 45 mins in.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
That sunshine looks nice. No sun here for days and don't think any is foreasted till mid next week.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Overall a great trip that I learned a few new things from:

1st - do not get a group site unless you reserve ALL spaces. We came real close to having a bad situation at one of the group sites that I did not reserve all the spots at (my thought was to allow someone else to enjoy the park as well. Damn was I wrong.)

2nd - We averaged using 5 gallons of fuel a day even with 4Hi and 4Lo use. The total mileage from pavement-to-pavement was 165ish.

3rd - The KML guide came in pretty useful since there are new detours and bypass routes that are not on the Winter 2016 map. They are about to print a new map. The map from Back Country Navigator is about 90% accurate.

Mitt78

Sanford and Son was my Sesame Street
Its always good to have gas on hand out there. The station in Study Bute has been known to run out and be without for a day or two in bad winter weather.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Its always good to have gas on hand out there. The station in Study Bute has been known to run out and be without for a day or two in bad winter weather.

Definitely. We topped off the fuel tank in Presidio and had 15 gallons extra for each vehicle. I think we both rolled out of camp this morning with a full tank which was good for getting far enough away from the border for cheaper gas. I always tell people to estimate 5 gallons a day and try to leave with at least a half tank. As a side note - I was able to get my expo hitch rack worked out better before this trip. The rack was able to move out of the way without removing anything to allow the rear hatch to be opened. It was great to be able to use both the rack and hatch every day without a lot of hand work.

Working on getting the pics uploaded to an album; will post a link once started.

Mitt78

Did yall get a chance to stop by Big Bend Brewing in Alpine? I make it a point to drop in every time I'm out that way. I wonder if they will do tours and have a taproom when they finish opening up in San Antonio.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Did yall get a chance to stop by Big Bend Brewing in Alpine? I make it a point to drop in every time I'm out that way. I wonder if they will do tours and have a taproom when they finish opening up in San Antonio.

30B5A218-1D1F-48E6-8D50-965E9E171E2A.jpeg

Mitt78

That's good to know and another reason to make it down to San Antonio more often.

tx_shooter

Staff member

I never seem to catch them when they are open at the brewery. I intend to take a "city tour" at some point out there to see Alpine, Ft Stockton, and the Davis Observatory at some point. That might be an easy trip to do during the summer if I get a hotel room so the sammich maker and I do not roast at night in the tent.

unevolved

Damn, that looks like a lot of fun. Still sorry I missed it.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Nice pictures. Sure wish I could have joined. I thought y'all had a bigger group going?

Like it tends to happen - a bigger group wanted to go but a smaller group made it.

Damn, that looks like a lot of fun. Still sorry I missed it.

It was a great trip. I am going to start working on the Lincoln National Forest trip soon and will start a thread on it later this month.