Brake Drums not Parallel to Drum

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Brake Drums not Parallel to Backing Plate

I know I mentioned this on a rambling post before but I ran across a photo and thought that I would post in case the next time you change your tire, brakes, or blow a rear, that you may take a look and see if your truck has the same condition. I just think it looks odd and I have this condition on both sides - about 1/16" on one front side and 1/4" on at the rear side.

rear-brake.jpg

taco4x4rar

Hmm, looks like you bent the backing plate, drum looks parallel to the flange so I don't see any real problems.

AlienXtx

Nignog
Hmm, looks like you bent the backing plate, drum looks parallel to the flange so I don't see any real problems.

X2....just looks bent man.

jdmcq

Will pay to see Cmack get tased
My only fear would be the shoes not being square to the drum, as they mount to the backing plate.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Bent Backing plate is what I thought. But after checking both sides, both sides have the same condition. The only think I can think of is on fast desert romps I maybe flexing my axle housing - not a bad excuse to get a new housing with a nice inspection hole but not in the mood to do that!

Therefore I have no desire to 'bend back and have the brakes shoes not sit squarely on the drum. I don't plan on doing anything to them now until I have a problem.

I was just wondering if, when you guys have any reason to look back there on your rides (Ford 9's excluded ;)), if you see the same kind of deal.

AlienXtx

Nignog
I'll be pulling my rims to swap them out this weekend so I'll get a pic of mine for you, I only have a little over 7k on mine so they should be good still.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
The more I think about it... That 90-95 mph through the desert must play havoc on those tubes! Now would be a good time to swap housings - just such a freakin hassle!

Okay maybe 55-75 but it certainly feels like 100!!!

AlienXtx

Nignog
Lol....yeah I'm sure it is pretty rough on them.

taco4x4rar

The more I think about it... That 90-95 mph through the desert must play havoc on those tubes! Now would be a good time to swap housings - just such a freakin hassle!

Okay maybe 55-75 but it certainly feels like 100!!!
That is pretty damn rough, there is a good chance you may have tweeked the housing doing that, but housings are expensive and it isn't too hard to check them with a jig

TKGN1

Straight White Male
Going by the pic, no way you have a bent housing/axle tube causing the backing plate to be off..
If the housing or axle tube was bent then the backing plate would still be square to the end of the axle tube.
Take a BFH and staighten the backing plate and problem solved.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Damn, I did the rear brakes on mine a few months ago but I didn't look at that. No idea if its a "common" issue or not.

As for tube flexing at speed.. at least until that Ford 9" shows up under the Taco. :) Beef up the one you have with some gussets. Sky Offroad makes a gusset for older Yota rear axles but I'm sure you could fab up one similar for ours. http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=226 You could also do a similar gusset to the ones found on the front axles. http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=71

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
Going by the pic, no way you have a bent housing/axle tube causing the backing plate to be off..
If the housing or axle tube was bent then the backing plate would still be square to the end of the axle tube.
Take a BFH and staighten the backing plate and problem solved.

I have to agree, considering the the backing plate is bolted to the end of the axle tube, if the axle was bent then the backing plate would move WITH it. Don't think it is possible for a bent axle tube to cause your backing plate to look that way.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Thanks guys - I'm gonna check with DoubleCabMike/Mohak Mike - If it is from high speed desert stuff - he'll know. That truss looks great!

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I have to agree, considering the the backing plate is bolted to the end of the axle tube, if the axle was bent then the backing plate would move WITH it. Don't think it is possible for a bent axle tube to cause your backing plate to look that way.

Although it would be hard to imagine, if the rear deflected enough to push the brake drum on the backing plate, it could bend the backing plate. Seems crazy to me. Those backing plates are pretty damn stout too - not flimsy sheet metal.

Reminds me of (engr school project) how the drive shafts on some Aircraft Carrier twists about a time and a half - all within the elasticity of the steel! :eek: To that point, those tubes would have had to be pushed back 2 or 3 times more than the amount they bent!

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
67126d1280525378-prerunner-chase-truck-l-area-img_0055a.jpg

umm, umm, good!

AlienXtx

Nignog
Damn man that looks nice!