Bud Built Sikds - 2nd Gen Tacoma Fitment Question

xodeuce

mmmmmmbourbon.
Anyone here have a set of Bud Built skids and have trouble with mounting? I can't seem to get the front skid to fit over the clips that are there for the factory skid. The four square holes in the front most vertical face of the IFS skid.

Also, I had the exhaust re-routed per their website instructions:
"These skids include a spacer to keep the skids off the stock low hanging exhaust crossover. If you re-route the exhaust or use an aftermarket Y pipe, you can eliminate the spacer and gain an extra INCH of ground clearance!"

It appears that if you don't put the spacer in you lose the flat bottom, is that right?

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I didn't have any issues mounting mine.

Pics of your issue would be helpful.

I removed the spacer and gained the ground clearance. No issues there. But its still a flat bottom no matter how you mount it, its just not as much ground clearance.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I once had a problem switching from Shrock front skid with to a Bud.... The Shrock didn't use the two 'hat channel' supports that run from the first frame cross member to the area near the front of the front transfer case mount. With those hat sections bolted up, they went in fine.

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
You will still have a flat bottom without using the spacer. The added ground clearance is the benefit. As for the fron skid I cannot add anything since I used the Shrockworks front skid instead of the BB one. Take some pics and post them up. If all else fails give Bud a call. That dude's customer service is awesome!!

xodeuce

mmmmmmbourbon.
I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up.

Sean can I see a pic of how yours lines up w/o the spacer? I may have something out of whack. <headscratch>

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up.

Sean can I see a pic of how yours lines up w/o the spacer? I may have something out of whack. <headscratch>

I'll have to take a pic in the AM.. is that cool? I don't think I have one on PB.

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Here are a couple that I have...

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01035.jpg

Thats all I have for now

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
x2 on Bud's customer service, just give him a call.

xodeuce

mmmmmmbourbon.
Here's what I'm running into, in annotations that look like crayon scribble:

5633705484_9af9e10979_b.jpg

The front of the tcase skid and the back of the mid skid have a big gap without the spacer. The yellow dotted line represents the bottom of the skid w/o the spacer.

Fronts, I'll have to get a pic tomorrow to see what exactly it's butting up against.

xodeuce

mmmmmmbourbon.
I get a big herp-derp for installing them as it was getting dark... The front of the IFS skid is sitting against the "hat channels" as it should. The part that seems to be tweaking it is the large bulbous drop coming off of the cross member at the rear of the IFS skid, directly in line with the two rear IFS skid bolts. I assume that's fine, as it should be plenty of structure to hold the load of anything that would strike the skid.

A friend asked me, "what, you don't own a trouble light?" yeah yeah... no excuse. Long day at work I guess.

Thanks for the pics and responses :)

I'm going to take a closer look at the tcase skid after work tonight.

Last edited: