Camping Gear Thread

Oswego

n00b
All kinds of new "jungle" type hammocks available...

Updated version of what I have:
American Made Hammock | Blackbird XLC | Warbonnet Outdoors

Competitor I have a hammock from that I like:
Swift Hammock

Regarding awnings - if you guys camp near trees a simple tarp is my go-to now. I lugged around EZ-Ups for obver a decade and no more unless I'm in a field. A couple tree's with a ridegline and a few stakes is all it takes for me to set up a 10 x 10 in multiple scenarios.

Oswego

n00b
My nephews got me some mounting house meals for my birthday. Best buy date is 2047. I assume they have a 30 year shelf life. Stuffs expensive, but for being mostly chemical free I guess it's the price you pay to have semi ok food stored for that long. Still prefer Pack-it gourmet but that stuffs only got a year shelf life.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
My daughter and I love the Mountain House Chili mac.

Oswego

n00b
My daughter and I love the Mountain House Chili mac.

I like that as well. The mac & cheese by itself without the chili is just meh...No matter how long I steep it the pasta is always hard. Figures my nephews just got me two bags of mac & cheese lol

They make a good egg breakfast. Still not great, but for dehydrated they are the beast Ive had.

I also really like their biscuits and gravy.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
We ate the "Breakfast Skillet" a few times. I add it to some hash browns and then cook the "breakfast skillet" so it dries out a little bit and it was good.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Baja Mil proven and tested.
FB_IMG_1510782299351.jpg

Oswego

n00b
now thats my kind of camping...& pretty good alarm system for the truck

Ive been eyeing up this set up or something similar when I get my turd on the road someday. no need for any trees would be nice.

img_20150830_180701939-jpg.765778

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Do you need an oversize/wide load permit to drive down the road like that? lol

Oswego

n00b
Do you need an oversize/wide load permit to drive down the road like that? lol

I know a few people who could use training wheels on their cars/trucks.

Taco Loco

Thought we had a park thread, don’t know or can’t find...

House of Representatives approves Castner Range conservation effort

Local interest in this cleanup is expected to remain high due to legislation and federal commitments to transfer the land (all or in parts, where feasible) to the Texas Parks and Wildlife for public use.

looks like I have some coworkers working this, there is still the possibility of UXO scattered on the range, clean up alternatives are being evaluated and will be presented in the Feasibility Study phase, but it looks there is a big push to get this Fed land handed over to the state, because last time El Paso took some and sold it off to developers and a college...

yea more TX park lands in the future

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
UXO? It would be great to see more Tx Park land and hopefully some more 4x4 trails at the parks. It sucks that some of the parks are only accessible to people who are physically capable of trekking into the back country on foot. I do not want to see the parks all graded and paved; but I would dare venture to say that the vast majority of the parks could do one or two dirt road loops with camp sites of some sort off the beaten path without ruining the park appeal.

Taco Loco

Un Exploded Ordnance

There will be no driving roads/trails there, backcountry hikes, netherless it’s more parks for Tx.

Oswego

n00b
Would be nice to have vehicular access especially for the disabled, but that can be step two. We utilized that stance to keep our trails open to vehicles and it worked for the most part. I wouldn't mind if they did what the Fed does and opens trails/campsites for 5/10/15/20 years depending on human impact. As soon as "we" start hurting the environment they close them down to recoup for 10-20 years. Kind of always rotating the good spots.

Taco Loco

Would be nice to have vehicular access especially for the disabled, but that can be step two. We utilized that stance to keep our trails open to vehicles and it worked for the most part. I wouldn't mind if they did what the Fed does and opens trails/campsites for 5/10/15/20 years depending on human impact. As soon as "we" start hurting the environment they close them down to recoup for 10-20 years. Kind of always rotating the good spots.

It’s a former military bombing range..,

No it would not be nice, for this area, miss use of a vehicle, because of the weight and not on a trail and possible missed UXO at 2 to 3 ft deep, covered from sand storms, sediment could mean IED Darwin Award for not adhering to the rules.

Taco Loco

Of coarse if your already disable, and you don’t give 2 fu(ks, why not have the option to drive lol, you first!