Electric cooling fan

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by David B Cotharin, Sep 3, 2017.

1. So last weekend I pull my clutch fan and added an electric cooling fan, works great and I noticed alittle more horse power and slight improvement in gas millage to. The main reason was to turn off the fan when wheeling in deep water/mud to stop spraying everything under the hood.

tx_shooter likes this.
  2. Silverback

Silverback Known to eat paint chips

What vehicle and which fan did you go with?

3. TacoXpo

TacoXpo Transgendered Leasbian Aboriginal Democrat

Did you dyno the truck to determine HP gain?

4. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

Reminds me that I need to take the Xenon Timing Light to the catalytic intake bearings that I installed last week.

TacoXpo likes this.
  5. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing 10mm socket. Staff Member

x2 on which vehicle. I have gone back and forth about putting an e fan on my 01 4R. Got any pics?

TacoXpo likes this.
  6. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

Having been down this road before with my E-fan...
    1. It's going to burn up batteries and alternators. It draws a lot of power. My E-fan would run after the truck was turned off, which kills batteries.
    2. They can't cool the truck down enough during hard wheeling. In Moab and Colorado, I was overheating. Most aftermarket E-fans don't seal well enough around the radiator.
    3. If you're going through high water enough that you need to turn off fan regularly, you're probably going to kill your engine at some point.

Side note: I really wanted my E-fan to work and in the short term it did... in the long term it probably did more damage than it's worth. I am now replacing my radiator, temp sensor and fluids bc the truck overheating caused the radiator to warp.

7. TacoXpo

I spent part of my life in the fan clutch world. Maybe you could find a car with a electric fan clutch and convert it for you car/truck. ...another idea may be to enter the water, let the bottom tank cool until the fan clutch disengages. Then punch it. ;) But really, you could do that. :)

8. Wiw
    Wow I think I hit a nerve.
    I did do some research and also left my shroud on to help direct air flow, so far its good. As for the water crossing, i just was looking for a way to stop the fan so the mud dosnt fly all over.

TacoXpo likes this.
  9. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing 10mm socket. Staff Member

Not a nerve really; just trying to share what he has found from previous experience. Do with it what you like.

10. TacoXpo

I would love to see a e-fan clutch on someone's ride. :)

11. Silverback

If they work as good as the e-locker I'll pass. :)

TacoXpo likes this.
  12. TacoXpo

13. Silverback

:) Ok... I was being sarcastic. But that looks interesting.

David B Cotharin likes this.
  14. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

You didn't hit a nerve. Just trying to share my experience and help before you end up down the same road I've been trying to get myself out of for awhile. It's an expensive road lol

Edit: do you have a scangauge (or similar device) that you can monitor the engine temps closely with?

15. TacoXpo

Have we figured out if this application is a Lambo or a Kia yet?

16. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

Yes, 1970 VW bug, specifically the opposed four- cylinder Beetle engine, air cooled.

TacoXpo likes this.
  17. Yes i have a scanguage, good idea.

18. thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher even my YETI has a kill count

Yeah, no nerves. Only nerve that was hit is when we had to stop over and over again to wait for the truck to cool down. Lots of good advice on this site!

Anathollo, tx_shooter and Silverback like this.
  19. TacoXpo

I didn't think Bugs had OBDII ports. : puzzled:

David B Cotharin likes this.
  20. Silverback

He has one... its not hooked to anything. But he has one. :D

David B Cotharin, TacoXpo and Mauzer like this.