Flat Tow '87 4Runner

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by tx_shooter, May 26, 2011.

1. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing spare time Staff Member

Alright - I searched "flat tow" and got three hits... one of which was the BS thread. I have googled and binged with little useful information and lots of opinions.

My question here is if anyone knows that it is or isn't safe to flat tow a 1st Gen 4Runner 5spd manual? Some of the info I have found says no because the rear tires will keep the transmission turning without the pump sending fluid through it. Second, there was the 1 in a million risk of the transmission and transfer case slipping into gear from their Neutral positions.

So - anyone here know??? Done it all their life with a 4Runner?????

2. drew02a

drew02a Moderator Staff Member

That would only be a concern if you were towing a vehicle that had an automatic transmission. Manual transmissions just have gear oil that circulates any time the tranny is moving.

That's why you put the tranny in neutral too, just in case

I flat towed my '87 Pickup and the only thing that sucked about it was that it didn't tow very straight. Maybe it was the 33" MTs or the fact that it wasn't aligned, but in any case it got where I was towing it and only tried to kill me on 1 or 2 occasions.

3. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

What Drew said, we had fun pulling that thing..lol slap it in neutral and do not lock the steering wheel.

4. drew02a

X1000 I forgot which was it was supposed to be, and the damn thing nearly steered me into a semi truck on I-10

5. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

I'm sure, remember when it almost tossed us into that Fucking truck coming back from Alto...god Damn lol

6. drew02a

How could I forget. And when we were in the sand with the wheel free and the damn thing almost put your truck in the ditch when the wheels on it turned all the way left and got wedged

7. TacoXpo

TacoXpo Freedom

Or there's always the Pirate Answer:

8. tx_shooter

Appreciate it.

Anyone want to sponsor me??? I'm broke enough as it is, but that looks like a pretty cool setup.

9. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

good times brother good times lol

10. TacoXpo

TacoXpo Freedom

It does look pretty sweet huh? I would love to make one of my own!

[rant and disappointment] And I would love to be able to sponsor but there's a small problem... The economy got fucked by professional politicians and its smacking me right in the face! ... and the wallet. I look forward to a time where prosperity and capitalism will replace current attempts to wealth distribution... [/rant and disappointment]

11. yotarob

yotarob Kiss My IFS

Take my advise and get a trailer, flat towing can be done but it blows

12. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

Trailer FTW

13. tx_shooter

Looks like I'm going to trailer - but instead of buying my own trailer I'm going to borrow my Dad's when I can. He has a 16' farm trailer that doesn't get alot of use other than the occosional roll of hay. This will let me trailer when necessary and drive when I'm wheeling locally. Plus I'm not shelling out more money right now.

Trailering for now - if/when I start going out to other trails more often I will come back to the tow/trailer debate. Until then I'm not spending anymore money than needed.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  14. TacoXpo

TacoXpo Freedom

Your dad doesn't have a yard in Morning Glory? Does He? :D

15. tx_shooter

Not to my knowledge - but he is still unpacking boxes from the late '60s. He found a headlight bulb to a Panhead he bought back in the '60s (that was old when he bought it) in one of his boxes. But as far as I know he only has stuff in Glen Rose.

16. yotarob

yotarob Kiss My IFS

Just be sure the tires on the trailer are good and carry a spare. lol

17. tx_shooter

Well, I trailered it to Bridgeport last weekend. My Tacoma did good trailering it; but it isn't something I want to do after with it. I got the setup to flat tow it for now. Trailering is nice if you have the trailer and a big enough pull truck to do it with no problems.

18. taco4x4rar

taco4x4rar Well-Known Member

You're Finns be rethinking that trailer after the first couple of times you flat tow it.

19. tx_shooter

Any reason or just personal experience?

20. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

There ain't nothing wrong with flat towing man, people do it all the time. You just have to pay attention to what the tow rig is doing and take your time.