For all Tacoma guys that has had drive shaft issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Articles' started by RichardB23, Dec 7, 2017.

1. RichardB23

RichardB23 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2018
  2. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing 10mm socket. Staff Member

I wonder how they will sort this from drive shaft or u joint issues. I have already replaced a couple of u joints and still have vibrations at 35-40 mph.

3. TacoXpo

TacoXpo TLA

Do you know what they did? I have a call into a TQC guy.

4. TacoXpo

TacoXpo TLA

I'm wondering if they have a different Center Carrier Bearing configuration.

5. tx_shooter

I will call my local dealer tomorrow and start the process to get this checked out. I did a few searches and there is almost nothing about this except that one article. Hopefully it is legit.

6. xJuice

xJuice Well-Known Member

24837438_505959809791297_3862646343592792349_o.jpg

25073138_1875183646128780_5451264844296114698_o.jpg

Anathollo likes this.
  7. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

Fudge, I just replaced all mine a few months ago, I still have the old parts in metal scrap buckets, might be missing needle bearings here and there.

I'll put it all back on, and load the truck on the car dolly and drop it off at the dealer, lol

8. balakay

balakay $20 is $20.

They may reimburse you if you show them the receipts. Like they did with the spring TSB.

9. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

My receipts are like my boss's office, lol

10. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

You have until 2019 to get it replaced. It'll need to be rebuilt again before then...

11. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

The MAIN thing I want to know is, did they actually fix the vibes issue or are they just slapping in a new driveshaft?

tx_shooter likes this.
  12. italynstylion

italynstylion Well-Known Member

I'm wanting to know this too. It's not like the shaft was bad to begin with or that the u-joints simply failed prematurely. Plenty of guys have done fresh carrier bearings and u-joints and that didn't come close to fixing the issue.

Hoping I get my letter in the mail soon.

TacoXpo likes this.
  13. tx_shooter

Should be able to check your VIN on Toyota's owner site and see if it applies. I have no clue how the decide which do and do not apply. The air bag recall was one that pissed me off. While it applied to 2005-2010 Tacomas it was decided it did not apply to my specific 2006 Tacoma. According to the dealer I have a different air bag in my Tacoma so it is now in the system as "dealer check and does not apply". I pointed out to them that the leaf springs they said qualified were not the stock leafs and they simply said it does not matter what leafs are actually on there.

14. TacoXpo

TacoXpo TLA

The geeky, GM Desert Proving Grounds hat on right now. I am going to guess that they changed the length of the two drive shafts in an attempt to get outside of the harmonic(s) that were causing the problem. You would be pretty shocked at how many different sets of components we would test in an attempt to remove harmonics at GM.

...this kinda reminds me. There are some days I tend to beat the crap out of myself for not being in a better place right now. Thinking back on some of the experiences I have been able to have, I shouldn't be complaining. I should just look at my life as though I am going in reverse - à la Benjamin Buttons. I guess I am now entering my college years. I hope I can use my past experience and knowledge to really hit is big with the co-eds this time!!! lol

Anathollo and tx_shooter like this.
  15. italynstylion

That's a good thought. That would require a drop bracket that essentially relocates the carrier bearing either forward or back (likely forward).

If I were a betting man, I'd guess they go with a double cardan joint behind the carrier bearing just like I did on my truck. That solved everything for me. And you know what? They HAVE to know that's a great idea regardless because that's how all the 1st gens came and they didn't have these issues. Then when they built the 2nd gens most of them had the vibrations due to not having a double cardan joint; big surprise.

TacoXpo likes this.
  16. TacoXpo

TacoXpo TLA

And we may be surprised. It could be as simple as leaving the carrier where it is and just make one shaft 3/8" longer and the other 3/8" shorter.

... or maybe not. :) The double cardan would be a good answer but something tells me Toyota wants a less expensive answer.

Anathollo likes this.
  17. italynstylion

I'm certain of that haha. How would they make the shafts longer or shorter without moving the carrier bearing? Lengthen the flanges at the attachment points?

18. TacoXpo

TacoXpo TLA

just move the point where the u-jjoint is placed. It would mean a longer shaft that goes through the carrier bearing and a shorter one on the rear shaft. Just imagining some of the iterations that Spicer probably went through in attempting to find a solution. Otherwise, they probably just sifted through pages of meaningless threads in TW! lol

tx_shooter likes this.
  19. italynstylion

I had taken my truck into the Toyota of Plano service center to have them try and fix the vibration. Their response? Your torque converter is needing to be replaced along with the ENTIRE transmission. I laughed and just took the truck back. That's what sparked my diving into creating a fix on my own.

Fast forward to today: Guess who has the documentation from Toyota of Plano stating my entire transmission needed to be replaced to fix the vibration from the rear end? Guess who also has his receipts from making a new drive shaft to fix the issue? THIS GUY! Can't wait for my letter to come in the mail. :D

TacoXpo and Anathollo like this.
  20. italynstylion

And for those of you who've never filmed your truck in the act....this is what it looks like. It's way more severe than you'd think.

Taco Loco likes this.