For all Tacoma guys that has had drive shaft issues

Texoma

IG: triplecchopshop
Can you post which roofing urethane you used specifically?

Black urethane that comes in a calk tube so it's easier to inject between the bushing and housing. The brand in particular doesn't matter, urethane will have the same molecular structure pretty much regardless of brand. With how much is injected, it takes a few days for it to cure fully, so I'd suggest either do it on a new assembly just out of box prior to install, or if on the truck, flip the support bearing over so that the urethane fills more of the weighted side to give more support, and don't drive it a few days, then flip it back over. I just jammed the calk tube in the housing as far as I could and started pumping til it was flowing through the other side, then switched sides til any space between the rubber n metal was filled. Cleaned any mess, then done.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Black urethane that comes in a calk tube so it's easier to inject between the bushing and housing. The brand in particular doesn't matter, urethane will have the same molecular structure pretty much regardless of brand. With how much is injected, it takes a few days for it to cure fully, so I'd suggest either do it on a new assembly just out of box prior to install, or if on the truck, flip the support bearing over so that the urethane fills more of the weighted side to give more support, and don't drive it a few days, then flip it back over. I just jammed the calk tube in the housing as far as I could and started pumping til it was flowing through the other side, then switched sides til any space between the rubber n metal was filled. Cleaned any mess, then done.
Gotcha thanks

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Curious how this goes.

They ended up just replacing the u joints with non-greaseable u joints. Overall I feel screwed - it still shakes and now instead of greaseable u joints I have non greaseable. I feel like they took me a step backwards.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
They ended up just replacing the u joints with non-greaseable u joints. Overall I feel screwed - it still shakes and now instead of greaseable u joints I have non greaseable. I feel like they took me a step backwards.
Yep, I'm thinking this is all part of a scam to get you to bring your Toyota in so they can repair other stuff. U Joints are stupid cheap for them to replace.

CowboyTaco

Interesting.

To be clear, when you say "carrier bearing," are you talking about the actual carrier bearing or the center support bearing (for the driveshaft) that all the tards at TW call the carrier bearing?

tx_shooter

Staff member
Interesting.

To be clear, when you say "carrier bearing," are you talking about the actual carrier bearing or the center support bearing (for the driveshaft) that all the tards at TW call the carrier bearing?

Yeah - sorry, the center support bearing.

Oswego

n00b
Yeah - sorry, the center support bearing.

added to the "list" in my memory now because Ive been calling it a carrier bearing for forever.....

center support bearing NOT carrier
Mag NOT clip
Wheel NOT rim

lol

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

Rub them down with sand for good luck.

Oswego

n00b

Sorry to hear that.

I concur. If OE had zerks so should it's replacement. Sounds like a bad tech or bad service writer who forced the tech to use the wrong parts.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Sorry to hear that.

I concur. If OE had zerks so should it's replacement. Sounds like a bad tech or bad service writer who forced the tech to use the wrong parts.
Who knows, it could be a miracle design. :)

italynstylion

They did not even replace the center carrier bearing and tried to tell me the transmission is shitting the bed just like they did @italynstylion
Oh wow, I didn't realize that was the end result they were giving you too. It's super shady. Just to be clear, I'm 2 years and probably 30k miles on my "bad transmission" now. Seems to be doing alright for me.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Oh wow, I didn't realize that was the end result they were giving you too. It's super shady. Just to be clear, I'm 2 years and probably 30k miles on my "bad transmission" now. Seems to be doing alright for me.

Going to try to get it re evaluated at a better dealership. The Granbury Toyota dealer is a discredit to the brand and reputation of Toyota.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Oh man.. you better head back to the dealer for that trans! ;)

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Most dealers are.. they are looking to make a buck (or 2000) every chance they can.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Most dealers are.. they are looking to make a buck (or 2000) every chance they can.
And they find that often. ...in exchange for a cup of coffee and a donut.