GOT Propane

fsbrain03

So I'm trying to figure this propane out, on the new rig. The thing runs great puttering around driving it town. As soon as I try to go any faster than 30, it starts sputtering and hestitating.

Could this be the way the tank is mounted? Not getting proper fuel out? The guy at Ace Hardware seems to think so. Currently the outlet the hose is hooked up to, is sitting on the bottom of the tank. Mounted horizontally.

Or could this be something else going on?

I'll try to get some pictures of the mounting, and hook ups tomorrow.

I am worried that it will do this out wheeling, so I really want to figure it all out before I try to make a trip out anywhere.

AlienXtx

Nignog
If its on the bottom and the tanks are mounted flat your prob getting a mix of liquid/gas which would cause your problem. You need to mount them at an angle were your just getting gas, or roll the fittings to at least halfway up on the side if not all the way to the top. Also make sure your getting plenty of the coolest air (I know it hot in Texas) because we were having trouble on or propane trollies and relocating the air intake to the front were it could pull in cooler air helped.

taco4x4rar

If its on the bottom and the tanks are mounted flat your prob getting a mix of liquid/gas which would cause your problem. You need to mount them at an angle were your just getting gas, or roll the fittings to at least halfway up on the side if not all the way to the top. Also make sure your getting plenty of the coolest air (I know it hot in Texas) because we were having trouble on or propane trollies and relocating the air intake to the front were it could pull in cooler air helped.

Point of curiosity why do forklifts not have that problem they have their tanks mounted horizontal

AlienXtx

Nignog
Point of curiosity why do forklifts not have that problem they have their tanks mounted horizontal

their fittings are not on the bottom, they are usually on the side or top or even the end (still halfway up the side) were they are pulling gas not liquid. I know our systems are set up to run on gas not liquid, and most Trucks and cars are too. Forklifts may be set up for Liquid but I doubt it because you will run out of it first and still have gas in the tank to burn.

AlienXtx

Nignog
their fittings are not on the bottom, they are usually on the side or top or even the end (still halfway up the side) were they are pulling gas not liquid. I know our systems are set up to run on gas not liquid, and most Trucks and cars are too. Forklifts may be set up for Liquid but I doubt it because you will run out of it first and still have gas in the tank to burn.

Also, our tanks are mounted flat too, but the fittings are up top. He only needs to raise the end of the tank that the fittings are on if he dont wanna roll the tanks or relocate them.

fsbrain03

Here are the tanks mounted in the bed.

The hoses are hooked up on the other end.
I'm gonna try rotating the tank about 90° to get the nozzle more on the side, instead of on the bottom.

203492ea.jpg

AlienXtx

Nignog
yep, if the fittings come out below the half way point on those tanks your going to be pulling in liquid, I would mount them were the fittings are the high point in the system, that way when your on the trail you are always getting gas even if your off camber.

fsbrain03

yep, if the fittings come out below the half way point on those tanks your going to be pulling in liquid, I would mount them were the fittings are the high point in the system, that way when your on the trail you are always getting gas even if your off camber.

So, rotate them enough to allow the outlet valve at the top? gotcha. I'll get out in a few minutes, and give it a shot. I'm "working" from home for the next couple of days. That means sending an email or report every couple of hours, to look like i'm working.

AlienXtx

Nignog
Yeah that should help, the higher they are the less likely you will be to pull liquid.

AlienXtx

Nignog
didnt know we had a propane guru withing our midst lol

Not a guru, but when you have to drive an hour and a half every morning for a year to fuck with four propane trolleys you learn a little. Most important thing is don't over fill the tanks! Especially when its hot, because you will find out first hand how well a POP off valve works when the tank heats up during the day. Nothing like a cloud of propane at the woodlands mall to scare the shit out of people.