Harbor Freight Jack Stand Safety Recall

Discussion in 'Fabrication & Body Work' started by tx_shooter, May 19, 2020.

1. tx_shooter

tx_shooter You ever try to roughie a bear? Staff Member

Okay - Hidden Fraught decided these jack stands are dangerous. So you know they must be shady!

But in all seriousness I lost one friend to bad jack stands and do not want to lose another - or one of you assholes. So either get your HF jack stands replaced or buy better jack stands. Your life depends on it.

FB_IMG_1589912699133.jpg

2. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

I've always said "Never buy something from HF that can kill you".

TacoXpo, tx_shooter and PSU Taco85 like this.
  3. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

Yeah those teeth jack stands are dangerous, I have a few old ones, not HF, I still use them, but not with me under the weight.

Pin jackstands like these are safer.
    114586E6-22D3-4759-BBA1-6497D29A87B5.jpeg

tx_shooter likes this.
  4. CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco Well-Known Member

5. Taco Loco

You were the one bought JS last year didn’t you?

6. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

Dammit, I'll have to check mine when I get home.

7. tx_shooter

I have a couple jacks of this design that I have been wanting to replace. This just helps me move the idea forward in my thinking.

8. balakay

balakay She ain't fat, bruh... She just a lil' thick.

You should also get an email from them directly if they have it in their system that you bought a qualifying item.

9. tex

tex That's Mr Asshole to you

Zech, were you not using cinder blocks as jack stands recently? I mean they seem more safe than jack stands from HF.

Silverback likes this.
  10. tx_shooter

I did it safely with 2x4s. I used the East Texas method.

tex, Anathollo and Taco Loco like this.
  11. balakay

I prefer milk crates

Oswego, tex and Taco Loco like this.
  12. Taco Loco

lol

13. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

I don't think they have my email. I built a Harbor Freight years ago and I want to have as little to do with that goofy company as possible. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the password into the Harbor Freights IT servers is "Password" after dealing with the higher ups lol

TacoXpo and Oswego like this.
  14. CowboyTaco

I did buy jack stands last year, but not from HF.

15. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Danka for the post! I would of never known and Ive got a few of these I will check tonight. I never get under a truck w/o 2 forms of drop protection (jack stand and tire/jack stand and jack/etc.) so doubtful I;d allow it to kill me but still amazed a safety item is defective lol

Wonder how many people got crushed before the bean counters decided a recall was necessary to save them $$.

upload_2020-5-20_7-58-35.png

sounds like their metallurgy is suspect and amazingly the Chinese QC inspector missed it for years lol

I really need to stop buying Chineese junk.....I was on a budget back then, but the whole buy once cry once still applies.

tx_shooter likes this.
  16. TacoXpo

TacoXpo HOAX DENIER

Scaredy cats all over the world. First the virus, now jackstands. Just a few examples of how men should be men... ;)

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 7.12.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 7.10.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 7.09.22 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 7.04.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 6.59.30 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 6.58.28 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 6.57.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.50.39 AM.png

Okay the one of the red truck was just a douchebag move - has nothing to do with being a man. This TW guy asked me about my happy place online. I told him to make sure that he goes with another truck but no!

I have no idea why I helped him get a cure for the hydrolocked motor.

Anathollo likes this.
  17. CowboyTaco

I think I remember the guy in the red truck. Didn't he use his winch to pull his vehicle back onto all 4 tires?

TacoXpo likes this.
  18. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Says the guy using the same pics to scare the crap out of me 5 years ago when I redid my OE LCA's lol

I kid...I kid. I know you were just looking out for me so what happened to you would not happen to me :worship2:

19. TacoXpo

TacoXpo HOAX DENIER

And know this, if I was to do this all over - and I may - I may just reinforce and weld a consumable plate where the cracks propagated from and call it good and have less unsprung weight. :) ...plus about $500-800 bucks in my pocket. :)

Anathollo likes this.
  20. balakay

Returned mine this morning and used the gift card toward a set of stubby ratcheting wrenches.

20200522_105328.jpg

CowboyTaco, Anathollo and Oswego like this.