Harbor Freight Jack Stand Safety Recall

Discussion in 'Fabrication & Body Work' started by tx_shooter, May 19, 2020.

1. Oswego

Oswego n00b

If they can't make jack-stands properly and they have one moving part - I'm glad I also have one of their jacks and it's my primary HD jack :confused::BangHead::bash:

2. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

When we were building our house I put my crawler in a storage unit. I didn't want the stickies to sit on the ground for that long so I bought two sets of HF 2 tons jack stands. I wasn't going to be getting under it.. just wanted tires off the ground. Well those shitty things were too short to get it off the ground! LOL I had to get a PT 4x4 post and make some cribbing for them to sit on.

3. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Yep. My 2 ton are holding up my front wheels so they don't pull the brake lines. About all they are good for besides a car maybe.?. 6 ton stands holding up the truck itself.

Will be a shit show to be removing 6 defective stands with a HF jack. Might want to do this swap w/someone w/me just in case.

4. PSU Taco85

PSU Taco85 Well-Known Member

they deleted the bottom line that said “from someone else” lol

Silverback and AlienXtx like this.
  5. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

So the jackstands I bought are part of the recall (I am not using them right now. Using the old stands). So I need to buy some replacements.

Does anybody have any experience with the US Jacks? Supposed to be a 100% made in USA.
    Buy U.S. Jack D-41610, 6-Ton Heavy Duty Rachet Jack Stand

Welp, just realized they are all out of stock everywhere. Guess I'll wait until they get back in stock in a month.

6. Oswego

Oswego n00b

I'm in the same boat. if I find a mildly priced set thats in stock Ill let you know. I need to replace (4) 6 ton and (4) 2 ton.

Anathollo likes this.
  7. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

I have some Larin 6 tons saved in my cart somewhere, the pair comes out $76 shipped iirc.

8. balakay

balakay She ain't fat, bruh... She just a lil' thick.

These are the ones I plan to buy. But factory is backed up until middle of this month.

9. Taco Loco

I’d rather buy Merica made, especially American steel for safety reasons, I’ll contact the company for a large/group order if interested.

TacoXpo likes this.
  10. Silverback

Silverback I'm not always a dick. Just kidding, fuck off.

I'd be in for a pair.

11. Oswego

Oswego n00b

I need (4) 6 ton and (4) 2 ton and I agree with the US metal. or Canadian. Canadians make some good steel as well IMHO.

Done with this crap China stuff. Should of not cheeped out on safety items even when I was a young dumb broke kid.

12. PSU Taco85

Just got this email from HF discussing their new recall related to Jackstands

"To the Harbor Freight Community:

I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.

A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.

Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).

We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.

I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.

As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]
    Eric Smidt
    Owner and Founder
    Harbor Freight Tools"

13. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

lol Doesn't surprise me. I've built a Harbor Freight store and those are some dumb motherfuckers that run the company.

"While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections" That's a crock of shit.

14. Oswego

Oswego n00b

One of the downfalls from a capitalistic society is companies corner cutting at their customers expense, but Ill still take it over any other system.

Tell you one thing - I'm done with those bozos. fool me once shame on you ~ fool me twice shame on me. My dollars are my vote and they will not get any more of them

15. Taco Loco

I got an email back from US Jacks, it’s probably doable for Texas guys for group buy, I would have to come up with pallet forks for tractor to unload, min order 10pairs of 6tons, shipping, my tax id, should come out about $170 each.

Oswego likes this.
  16. Oswego

Oswego n00b

:(

it is what it is - thanks for looking into it. shipping of heavy steel is always a pita

17. TacoXpo

TacoXpo HOAX DENIER

Currently I am not using jack stands to rebuild my front end. Control arms off, coilovers out and tie rods being changed. To comply with my city (they wanted to fine me when the truck was on jack stands as unsafe!), I have two cinder blocks (side-by-side) and four sections of 2x6 the same width, all painted black with a couple of boxes placed under the truck. Oh yeah, the clincher? the tires are sitting up in the wheel wells with small chocks keeping them in place! lol

Anathollo, tx_shooter and PSU Taco85 like this.
  18. Oswego

Oswego n00b

You gotta post pic of that BS lol

TacoXpo likes this.
  19. PSU Taco85

somojes gonna put a boot on your tire lol

TacoXpo likes this.
  20. TacoXpo

TacoXpo HOAX DENIER

That would be great!