Howdy from Houston

Hi everyone. Thanks to @tx_shooter for inviting me here from the toyota-4runner.org forums. Here's my build thread on those forums: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/248243-darens-excellent-vehicular-activity-thread.html

I'm new to offroading and overlanding, but I've done quite a bit of camping. I've got a 2016 TEP 4Runner with a tent on top and I'm looking for help finding trails. I'd like to find a few "novice" places to get started since I'll be bringing my wife and two kids (10-yr-old and 8-month-old). But eventually I hope to hit Big Bend and the TAT.

So if you have suggestions on places that are within a short drive of Houston, I'd appreciate it. Right now I just want to find some trails to test my truck out and places for a couple weekend trips to get my family going on camping. It seems like with the BLM land out west it's pretty easy to find places, but in Texas it seems like everything is private land. So I'm not sure how you find trails to drive on without some angry land owner shooting at trespassers :2guns:I appreciate any help.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Welcome... lets see some pics of the T4R.

SecretSquirrel

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Staff member
Yep. You've got a few mud parks north of town, or a 3hr ride to Hidden Falls.

Suggest taking a ride to Matagorda and test out the different modes to get a feel for the truck. If its been dry, the sand will be soft and it'll be a ton of fun.

What part of town you in?

Oswego

n00b
Welcome from NJ!

Go Eagles! lol

I live south of Houston in the Iowa Colony/Manvel area.

Is there anywhere specific you mean in Matagorda? I'm guessing you mean on the beach. Since I don't have any recovery gear yet, I might not try to get super stuck. Though I have been amazed by some of the crawl control recovery videos I've seen.

Here's a shot of my 4Runner with the tent deployed.

IMG_20171217_081127 (1).jpg

balakay

BabyMax

Is there anywhere specific you mean in Matagorda? I'm guessing you mean on the beach. Since I don't have any recovery gear yet, I might not try to get super stuck. Though I have been amazed by some of the crawl control recovery videos I've seen.

View attachment 8911

What size tires are those? 285 on stock suspension? They look massive.

They are 275/70 on stock suspension. I used this thread as guidance: Going Bigger - 5th Gen Tire Fitment Guide - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

I wasn't sure how much work I'd have to do to get 285s to fit and I figured it was only 1/2" difference in diameter. I can always go bigger later.

I'm keeping the suspension stock for now. It seems like a waste of money to replace brand new parts. I figure I can do a lift after I put on some mileage and learn my limitations on stock height.

Silverback

Armor it up first (skids and sliders).. get some recovery gear and a rear receiver hitch D-shackle mount. Enjoy it.

SecretSquirrel

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Staff member

View attachment 8911
Yep. I was talking about Matagorda beach. It would be a good way to get everything figured out.

Nice 4R. Love the color.... :)
FB_IMG_14859121540741487737985.jpg

Silverback

Shrockworks for the sliders. Been great for me and they are local to you

x2 on Shrockworks.. had mine 10 years now... wow I guess it has been that long.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I will give Schrockworks another +1 for the sliders. They are tough and make great steps. My wife wants a set for the 2006 Tacoma she drives.

balakay

BabyMax
Loved my Shrockworks sliders. Wish I could get them to make some for the GX. That reminds me, I need to call Hefty and get a refund.