Just Guns

Oswego

n00b
Not yet but I fondled one at Cabelas yesterday. And it felt like a quality piece of hardware. Wasn't impressed at all by the Tikka I held either, felt very cheap.

6.5, one of the Vortex offerings. Either the Viper PST gen 2 or one of the new Razor models
Really? Was it a T3X? The one my coworker bought is solid and the action is buttery smooth. The trigger is a little heavy but it's not bad, I could get used to it (I'm a trigger whore lol).

:BangHead:

That was my dream gun. Like telling a 12yo that the poster of the Lamborghini on his wall is a POS

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Tikka used to make a really nice rifle. The last one I shot I was moderately impressed with but not impressed enough to sell my Rem700.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member

That was my dream gun. Like telling a 12yo that the poster of the Lamborghini on his wall is a POS
It's still a nice gun.

Oswego

n00b
Yep, been watching him and about 5 other guys shooting them ever since you sent me a link. One weekend I was a coin toss away from driving 2hrs north to go grab it and some glass for it. or Maybe I get a .50 before NJ bans them lol

achirdo

2WD FTW
Really? Was it a T3X? The one my coworker bought is solid and the action is buttery smooth. The trigger is a little heavy but it's not bad, I could get used to it (I'm a trigger whore lol).
Yes it was the T3X. The action felt great it was just the Tupperware stock that felt like it belonged on an air soft gun. Couldn't pull the trigger due to it being locked. I also didn't like the pencil thin barrel either. From what I can tell you have to get into their chassis rifles before you can get a bull barrel on it. Tikka would be a great action to build off of.

The Bergara was everything I wanted right off the shelf. Long bull barrel, hefty high quality stock with an adjustable riser, tons of aftermarket support, and shoots more accurate than I'm currently capable of.

CowboyTaco

When we were buying my wife a hunting rifle, she chose the Tikka T3Lite in .270 win. After holding a dozen plus, she chose that one. It came down to the Tikka T3 and a Ruger that I was pushing her toward. In the end, she liked the weight and the feel of the bolt better. Her gun, her choice, and I think she chose wisely. She also chose a Nikon ProStaff scope and that rifle is dead nuts on.

achirdo

2WD FTW
When we were buying my wife a hunting rifle, she chose the Tikka T3Lite in .270 win. After holding a dozen plus, she chose that one. It came down to the Tikka T3 and a Ruger that I was pushing her toward. In the end, she liked the weight and the feel of the bolt better. Her gun, her choice, and I think she chose wisely. She also chose a Nikon ProStaff scope and that rifle is dead nuts on.

I think this is the market that Tikka was going for with the gun. Lightweight hunting rifle. Everything I've read about it says it's a great shooter. It just isn't what I'm looking for to accomplish with the gun.

If you needed to hike that gun through a mountain on an elk hunt it would be an excellent choice.

tx_shooter

Staff member
I debated getting one of the Tikkas in 6.5 Creedmoor for sheep hunting but decided to stay with an AR build instead. At one point I had convinced myself it would be cheaper... haha not after a few text messages with our resident AR whore. lol

PSU Taco85

FWIW ~ It's 100% illegal to buy a pistol outside of NJ then bring it back yourself so you must be mistaken.

No idea how we got on the topic of ammo, but if the store needs me to give you my license# then document it for a purchase of ammo - Ill stick to buying from states who do not require my purchases be recorded like NJ started doing 10+ years ago. At the end of the day Ill do whatever I can to avoid my name being on ANY documents related to guns because I value my freedom and I'm not blind to our Blue state's ability to change laws whenever the wind blows....like the mag capacity ban they just pulled off.

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Boomtacoma01

Tommy want wingy..
Great choice! Bergara is basically making the bolt guns that the Remington 700 used to be.

They do offer the HMR in a 300 WinMag as well. I’ve been eying them for a while. I don’t like the short barrel length offered On the 6.5

Oswego

n00b

Let me know how being ignorant to it then breaking NJ gun law treats your corn hole bud. Thinking friends that are LEO's can get you out of firearms offenses for being ignorant of the law is a silly tact at best. I was camping with a range instructor for a local PD two weekends ago and the stories he told would make your head spin... well maybe not if you want to break the laws lol. Nothing is like the old days used to be.

In closing - buy it and live by it Gun Law Books

or don't and just get lucky like Scott has been for a decade. it only takes once though

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Let me know how being ignorant to it then breaking NJ gun law treats your corn hole bud. Thinking friends that are LEO's can get you out of firearms offenses for being ignorant of the law is a silly tact at best. I was camping with a range instructor for a local PD two weekends ago and the stories he told would make your head spin... well maybe not if you want to break the laws lol. Nothing is like the old days used to be.

In closing - buy it and live by it Gun Law Books

or don't and just get lucky like Scott has been for a decade. it only takes once though

"I forgot"!

tx_shooter

Staff member
6.5, one of the Vortex offerings. Either the Viper PST gen 2 or one of the new Razor models

Sounds like you are going to put together a heck of a hole puncher. I am currently debating if I want to go with an ATN day/night scope. There are plenty of "cool" features but the day/night capability out of the same scope would be great.

4K Pro Digital day & night system

Anathollo

Staff member
Sounds like you are going to put together a heck of a hole puncher. I am currently debating if I want to go with an ATN day/night scope. There are plenty of "cool" features but the day/night capability out of the same scope would be great.

4K Pro Digital day & night system
@tx_shooter Don't get an ATN sight. It's not worth the money and this is coming from someone that owns one. It's extremely frustrating because you can't see enough at night. I imagine it'll be even more frustrating for you since you probably got to use real night vision equipment in the Military.
@thekidcatcher has a "true" night vision scope that's not just a camera and it blows mine out of the water despite being two years older than mine. I would recommend saving your pennies and buying a thermal scope (Pulsar Trail XP50 only). And by pennies, I mean $5k worth of pennies :).

For now if you hunt at night, I'd recommend putting LED flood lights with a solar charger around the feeder, letting the hogs get used to the lights and then hunt them that way. It's WAY cheaper than a night vision scope. Or at the very least, getting a badass high-lumen output green or red spotlight to spot them at night.

Last edited:

Anathollo

Staff member
well crap. Better to know before I spend. Thanks.
The ATN sight isn't terrible in a neighborhood where there's a lot of ambient light or light pollution in the background from houses, streetlights, etc... but out in the country without all that extra light noise, they suck. Even with additional IR lighting. I've also had issues finding a strong enough IR light that can mount to my AR but doesn't take up all the space. If you use too strong of an IR flood light, it'll wash out the camera.

Also, the scope bases that come with the scope suck. That damn scope base has costed me two hogs at this point. The scope base turn knobs can have enough force that when you check it by hand, it feels like it's solidly mounted, but when you put an inch pound torque wrench on them, they are ~20 in.pds off! The next time I hunt with it, I'll have a torque wrench in my pocket for sure.