Just Guns

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Got my RTIC 43" hard case today. I really like it. Its got several layers of solid foam inside so I'll need to cut it out for the shape of the weapon.
Don't bother. Take the middle layer out, throw it up on your shelf over your garage door (more bedding material for me! Score! :) ) and just throw your weapons inside. The pressure from the top and bottom pieces of foam will hold what you need in place for range trips (Disregard this advice if you're going to fly with your weapons. You will need to cut out foam for them because of the amount of abuse the case will take from the baggage handlers.).

My reasoning now is that my weapons can change from time to time so cutting out the foam for every version of them would add up with my having to buy a new foam piece every time.

CowboyTaco

I had to re-cut my Cabela's case when I swapped scopes on my 7mm Rem Mag. Thankfully, the new scope was larger than the old, so not a big deal.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Now 5p needs to get here so I can get home and put this setup together.

20190117_101717.jpg

tx_shooter

Staff member
Have not shot it yet; but there it is bolted together.

Remington 700 in 300 WM in an MDT LSS-XL v2 chassis. The scope is currently a simple Leoupold VX3 3-9x30 setup. This summer will see a better bolt/firing pin setup and trigger upgrade. Currently the barrel is a Green Mountain barrel that a gun builder friend chambered and turned for me at 21". The profile is super heavy at 1.2" from the chamber to the tip. I am most likely going to have it turned down to 1" all the way out now. It is still pretty heavy at 12 lbs so turning the profile down should drop a little over a pound.

The goal is to get an aoudad this fall and then start working on bigger hunt.

Remington 700 300WM with MDT LSS-XL chassis.jpg

Last edited:

Anathollo

Staff member

Remington 700 in 300 WM in an MDT LSS-XL v2 chassis. The scope is currently a simple Leoupold VX3 3-9x30 setup. This summer will see a better bolt/firing pin setup and trigger upgrade. Currently the barrel is a Green Mountain barrel that a gun builder friend chambered and turned for me at 21". The profile is super heavy at 1.2" from the chamber to the tip. I am most likely going to have it turned down to 1" all the way out now. It is still pretty heavy at 12 lbs so turning the profile down should drop a little over a pound.

View attachment 13003
Sexy! How's your sight picture with that stock?

tx_shooter

Staff member
With a 30mm objective and low mounts it is pretty good - a little cheek bone movement puts it spot on. Problem is this rifle will probably be getting a 40mm objective scope and mid mounts this fall.

Will evaluate if I go with a cheek pad at that time or not.

CowboyTaco

View attachment 13003

You putting in for a tag up at Caprock / Palo Duro, or are you going to pay for an Audad? If you go the paid route, I recommend www.kentcreekranch.com down near Leakey, Tx

tx_shooter

Staff member
You putting in for a tag up at Caprock / Palo Duro, or are you going to pay for an Audad? If you go the paid route, I recommend www.kentcreekranch.com down near Leakey, Tx

Going to start putting in for tags but will most likely end up paying. Thanks for the recommendation; it seems there are hundreds of services out there all saying they are the best. I think we all know better. I am really looking for the wide open stalk as much as anything.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

View attachment 13003

Nice, you should be able to cast a few yards out with that!

CowboyTaco

Going to start putting in for tags but will most likely end up paying. Thanks for the recommendation; it seems there are hundreds of services out there all saying they are the best. I think we all know better. I am really looking for the wide open stalk as much as anything.

KCR is in the family. They let COA run most, if not all, the hunts. You want a wide open stalk, just tell them. They'll point you in the direction of where the Audads were last seen. They keep tabs on areas of the ranch that herds move, which do change periodically. Really good terrain out there too.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Nice, you should be able to cast a few yards out with that!

Thanks, I have hit steel out to 500 with this barrel with a cheap Hogue stock. Now I am really looking forward to what it will do with this setup.

KCR is in the family. They let COA run most, if not all, the hunts. You want a wide open stalk, just tell them. They'll point you in the direction of where the Audads were last seen. They keep tabs on areas of the ranch that herds move, which do change periodically. Really good terrain out there too.

Sounds real good to me.

Anathollo

Staff member
Took a Carbine 1 class at Tiger Valley this past weekend in some crazy weather. We got to shoot out to 600 yards, shoot a mover target, do a kill house and do a lot of 3 gun training. Big shout out to TJ as he still let us shoot even though the other people in the class cancelled because of the terrible weather. I can highly recommend taking a class there. This is my second class there and my third time shooting at this range.
My buddies rig. We had a tire blow out, the trailer sunk into the ground and almost tipped over, we accidently flooded the bathroom and the water line froze at night. But all in all, it was worth bringing it lol just one of those days...
It was so windy Friday night that we only got about an hour's worth of sleep as the 40' trailer rocked like a monohull sailboat anchored sideways in oncoming storm swells. Both my buddy and I were worried the trailer could possibly slide off again because the wind was THAT bad. But everything ended up ok.
20190118_142621.jpg
20190120_155447.jpg

All these pics are from the top of the 40' sniper tower.

Sideline:
20190120_145053.jpg

Back shooting bays
20190120_145057.jpg

20190120_145059.jpg

Tank targets you get to shoot at. Note the tank commander targets on top that you get to shoot:
20190120_145109.jpg

The target line with targets out to 1k. He also has a small little Toyota Technical truck out at 600 yards with a haji in the seat to shoot at. It was so windy that we were shooting "Accuracy by volume" at this point with our .223's. But damn was it so much fun!
20190120_145118.jpg

Last edited:

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
I always laugh at folks who haul those big ass RV trailers, nothing is funnier than watching them trying to fit one of those trailers in a RV spot designed for 30ft or less.

Anathollo

Staff member

tx_shooter

Staff member
Some of the stuff at SHOT I think is simply "can we do it" stuff. Sure - it can be done; but why? Just because you can build a football bat does not mean it is useful.

But I will buy stock in the company that makes a tacticool football bat that is being promoted by a former SEAL.

Anathollo

Staff member
Some of the stuff at SHOT I think is simply "can we do it" stuff. Sure - it can be done; but why? Just because you can build a football bat does not mean it is useful.

But I will buy stock in the company that makes a tacticool football bat that is being promoted by a former SEAL.
This years shot show has been pretty anti-climatic for me. I was hoping for more scopes to be released and more innovative AR platform stuff to come out. The majority of it has been AR pistol stuff and PCC stuff. But that said, there is some cool stuff like the retro rifles from Brownell's and some super lightweight hunting rifle platforms or backpack rifles.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Just got a shooting bag that did not come with fill. I don't want sand, and I don't want a food product. Any other suggestions? Preferably not weigh 10lbs either.

Airsoft ammo? Won't absorb water, does not compress, and is lightweight.