Just Guns

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
This is from a reputable SOT.
Per an ATF conversation that just took place behind closed doors with division chiefs and area supervisors. After the government shutdown all the contract workers that assisted in processing were laid off and are not coming back. They are trying to bring in new contractors but it’s expected that it will take several months to train these people. If you are submitting paper form 1’s or 4’s per the ATF “We are hoping that transfer times will not exceed 18 months”.

So it looks like I won't even have my suppressors in time for the next hunting season...:facepalm::(

Here's some ATF memes to cheer y'all up
m4gdm6ukikf21.jpg

kg2x6lzykmf21.png

Anathollo

Staff member
A guy on an NFA forum had $11k worth of guns & NFA items stolen by his contractor that was supposed to be remodeling his bathroom. This is his 64 gun Cannon safe.
(Yes I know that with time and tools you can get into anything...).

hQk3WDj.jpg

E4AYrzg.jpg

Last edited:

Oswego

n00b
that sucks... hope he has a solid case.

lol at the drywall dust

Well now I know how to get into one of them. Don't try to cut the bolts, cut the frame and push it past the bolts....check

Oswego

n00b
That is severely disturbing to see that.

I wouldn't feel that bad. Locks only keep honest people out. I don't sell safes but that's always my feeling when I sell man traps and secure entrances. Where there is a will there is a way & that guy looked like he had way too much time working on that safe.

I'd bet all the staff at Cannon could get into one of them much faster.

Anathollo

Staff member
I wouldn't feel that bad. Locks only keep honest people out. I don't sell safes but that's always my feeling when I sell man traps and secure entrances. Where there is a will there is a way & that guy looked like he had way too much time working on that safe.

They've got the master keys to every type of combo lock they sell lol

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
plasma key... check
grinder key... check
sawzall key... check
torch key... check

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member

More so disturbing that the contractor had enough time unsupervised to do that. It is pretty common knowledge that locks keep honest people honest. But it is bothersome that the contractor had the time and motivation to do that. The safes are advertised as a safe place to keep a firearm when really they should be advertised as safe from fire*. Otherwise safes just keep guns locked up and make the ATF happy.

*most of the time if the fire is not too big or last too long.

Oswego

n00b
They've got the master keys to every type of combo lock they sell lol

Touche! Didn't even think of that and should of. I was at Grainger buying (20) security tips today for another museum job I have tomorrow in Philly. The security screw head tips aren't hardened so we crack the crap out of them using electric drills.

plasma key... check
grinder key... check
sawzall key... check
torch key... check

lol

Oswego

n00b
More so disturbing that the contractor had enough time unsupervised to do that. It is pretty common knowledge that locks keep honest people honest. But it is bothersome that the contractor had the time and motivation to do that. The safes are advertised as a safe place to keep a firearm when really they should be advertised as safe from fire*. Otherwise safes just keep guns locked up and make the ATF happy.

*most of the time if the fire is not too big or last too long.

I agree. Ive only ever hired one contractor in 14 years to work in my house but all be damned if I didn't take off work to keep an eye on them. I know all too well what happens when there is no super on a jobsite and the prisoners are running the prison.

tx_shooter

Staff member
What barrel twist?

Have you tried other ammo?

A good chassis always helps a stock setup. But at that point we are usually talking 1/4 to 1/3 MOA.

tx_shooter

Staff member
Forgot to ask; shooting off bipods or a full brace setup? When I am trying to test a rifle I will use a day pack to shoot off of. It takes out the majority of the shooter error.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
@Anathollo

Know of anyone who teaches a basic handgun course for my parents, they prefer not to go into Houston, maybe Katy to Bastrop to Lagrange area.

They want to get CHL, I suggested a basic handgun course first, for safety, handling etc... they don’t have much experience with handguns other than target shooting a couple times at the farm,

Anathollo

Staff member
@Anathollo

Know of anyone who teaches a basic handgun course for my parents, they prefer not to go into Houston, maybe Katy to Bastrop to Lagrange area.

They want to get CHL, I suggested a basic handgun course first, for safety, handling etc... they don’t have much experience with handguns other than target shooting a couple times at the farm,
You can try American Shooting centers. Here's the flyers with a list of instructors. The instructors have their own pistol/rifle bay away from the main range to train people so that way you can hear the instructor talk. It's at the very end of the 600 yard range and is a nice setup.
http://www.amshootcenters.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Instructor-Flyer.pdf

The only other place I can recommend would be Tiger Valley in Waco. TJ is a great, laid-back instructor with real world experience. He has a pistol 1 class but it might be more fast paced then what your parents would like to shoot. I would call him to see if he could do a separate private class on a Monday or a Friday with just your parents. The reason I say Friday or Monday is TJ drives down to the range on Friday for the weekend classes or shooting events and heads home on Sunday night. So he might be interested in just coming one day earlier for your parents. Anyways, you can call him and talk to him about it. Contact Tiger Valley

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’