Kenwood TM-271A MURS modification

drew02a

Staff member
Let's just start with a disclaimer: It is illegal to operate outside the limits of your class license or permits

Suplemental instucitonal document http://ToyotaOff-Road.com/resources/Kenwood_TM-271A Mod.pdf

Today I modified my HAM radio to receivce and transmit on MURS frequencies. Even though the components on the circuit board were tiny, it was definitly the easiest modification of this kind that I've ever done. No need for a soldering iron, I just used these.

TM-271A-8.jpg

Remove radio's plastic cover
TM-271A-1.jpg

TM-271A-2.jpg

Unplug the external Speaker jack cover and remove the rubber gasket
Remove the 8 screws that secure the metal cover, then pull it off
TM-271A-3.jpg

A view of the circuit board and the location of resister R119
TM-271A-4.jpg

Here's a close up of the resistor. I just grabbed that bad boy with my surgical pliers and it snapped off.
TM-271A-5.jpg

A blurry shot, but you can see that the Resistor is removed
TM-271A-6.jpg

Reassembled and tested
TM-271A-7.jpg

Last edited:

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Can you hear me now Good buddy?

1. good buddy
A term that back in the 70's meant someone on the other end of a CB radio communications that you were on good terms with and since then has morphed into meaning homosexual trucker.
1) Thats a big 10-4 good buddy, it's time to put the hammer down. 2) Roger that good buddy, I'm in the back row of the Flying J and am ready to play meat puppets. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=good+buddy

Last edited:

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Nice. I would never tx out of freq but nice all the same! :D The capacitor I had to remove on my handheld was about the size of a piece of fly shit! The only way that any tweezers would have been valuable would be to wet them to make the fly shit stick. Now just get the critical peeps to have one and the rest will fall like dominoes! :D

9-65534_789_3.gif

Thanks for doing your part! :D

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER