KMC Enduro Lug Centric Question

xodeuce

mmmmmmbourbon.
This is primarily directed at BearsFan07 b/c I know he wheels the piss out of his 2nd gen tacoma on a set of KMC Enduro's. Anyone else feel free to chime in though. I've got a set of TRD SE FJ wheels, the anthracite ones, and I'm contemplating selling them to finance some armor, and going with a cheaper 4.5" back spaced wheel, such as the KMC Enduro. My question is, since they're lug centric and the factory wheels are hub centric, is there any issue with the strength of the wheel studs?

I figure there's probably not, but I'm definitely a do it right the first time, and do it once, kind of guy.

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
If Sean does it the you shouldn't have any problems, I cannot imagine you being harder on them that him. Seems like you answered your own question on this issue.

AlienXtx

Nignog
He did have to clearance his calipers though IIRC.

xodeuce

mmmmmmbourbon.
Hah, yeah I figured I did. I just wasn't sure if it was a, "Yeah, I run them, and I've replaced 4 wheel studs in 4 years." kind of thing. However, if he had to clearance his calipers for 17's, I don't think there's any chance of me running 16's, and I've already bought new rubber... doh!

Broker

My wheels are lug centric with 4.5 bs 17x9 and I had no caliper clearance issues. Haven't put new pads on tho. So that might make a differance when the time comes

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
So far so good.. no issues. The only thing I had to do was clearance the calipers like Keith mentioned. Thats a very easy thing to do, you only grind off maybe 1/32" off the front of the caliper. There is some lettering stamped into the caliper and you can still read it once you are done grinding. Its that little. But they are a pretty tough rim. My ONLY regret is not getting them in 16". I just prefer a 16" rim over a 17. But thats my only complaint and its not really anything to do with the rim itself.

xodeuce

mmmmmmbourbon.
So far so good.. no issues. The only thing I had to do was clearance the calipers like Keith mentioned. Thats a very easy thing to do, you only grind off maybe 1/32" off the front of the caliper. There is some lettering stamped into the caliper and you can still read it once you are done grinding. Its that little. But they are a pretty tough rim. My ONLY regret is not getting them in 16". I just prefer a 16" rim over a 17. But thats my only complaint and its not really anything to do with the rim itself.

Gotcha, so it sounds like it's on the face of the caliper that would but up against the back of the "spoke" portion of the rim, rather than the circular rim. I was thinking that a 16" wouldn't fit if you're grinding off of the overall circumference to fit it inside a 17". Good info, thanks.

Silverback

Thats the same thing I thought before I got them installed (or tried to rather).

Its just the little area circled in red.
P1120594-1.jpg

Lrgrnr

I've heard of leaking problems after grinding, I'm guessing that's because they ground down to far. Not really big on grinding the calipers, is there anything else you could do??

BTW I'm planning to run these in a 16" beadlock.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER

AlienXtx

Nignog
Yeah, I'm wanting to but gonna have to find a bank to rob first....:shifty:

I'll help if I get to use a grappling hook at some point.:)

AlienXtx

Nignog

Silverback

I've heard of leaking problems after grinding, I'm guessing that's because they ground down to far. Not really big on grinding the calipers, is there anything else you could do??

BTW I'm planning to run these in a 16" beadlock.

Yeah, someone ground down WAY too much. You could still read the stamping in the caliper, if they took more than that they fucked up.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Yeah, someone ground down WAY too much. You could still read the stamping in the caliper, if they took more than that they fucked up.

Hmm, someone effing up a mod? I still think about the guy with the shock mod! :)

AlienXtx

Nignog
Some dipshit on TW welded 3" of tubing onto his shock tubes to get lift.