Linked or Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by drew02a, Aug 7, 2010.

1. drew02a

drew02a Moderator Staff Member

As many of you know, I've been working on ideas for my next Tacoma build. I plan on starting with an AC 4x4, but will be moving the rear axle forward and putting a short bed on it. I've also been thinking about going the distance and doing an SAS too.

My question is, if I'm already moving the rear axle and installing a new one up front, should I go ahead and do linked suspension front and rear or just stick with good old leaf springs?

2. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

Link front and back would be fucking awesome IMO, you will get more articulation out of it too.
    Plus how badass will that look out on the trail combined with your AC/short bed idea.

3. drew02a

Yeah, the only reason I've not really considered SAS before is that I didn't want to lose street handling. I don't know why, but I never really thought about linking it until now. Should take care of the street handling issues. It won't handle like LT or anything, but it will have a narrower wheel base... and 37s? LOL

4. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

37? You better upgrade to the V6 this time and 4.88's

5. drew02a

Um yeah, that's the plan. 4.0L with TRD SC, but the suspension and a crawl box will be first priority. I've thought about building on a Prerunner instead of buying a 4x4. That way I'm now wasting money on stuff I'm going to cut off. Just do a Lefty T-Case, but I'll need a new tranny since the tail housing is different on 2WD.

6. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

That's prob a good idea, I'm sure finding the right tail housing Wouldn't be too big of a problem. Lol...you should start with a x-runner!

7. drew02a

The only real problem is that the tail housing on the Tacoma tranny isn't a separate piece. I'll have to replace the whole tranny, but that will still be cheaper than buying a 4x4. Too bad x-runners are 5 lug or I would do it and make sure I had a good bro lean, lol.

8. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

And leave on the ground effects, they would work great as sliders, yeah you would still come out ahead with the pre runner

9. drew02a

The other nice thing is that I won't have to hijack all the ADD and other 4x4 related electronics.

10. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

Yeah, would you start with just a SR5 or TRD?

11. drew02a

Base model FTW. I honestly love the plastic fender flares and I'll be able to use the 3rd member I have now for the locker and 4.56.

I plan on just sticking 2 open 4.56 or 4.88 diffs in the Reg cab and throwing on some cheap 35s before I sell it. Should be an easy sell in this town full of posers. Also gonna re-use the whole rear suspension on the new one at least until I relocate the axle.

You wanna help me paint it OD?

12. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

Hell yeah man, just let me know. That would deff be a wast to leave the ARB in it, way too much $ not to hang on to that.

13. drew02a

Yeah, someone is going to make off like a bandit when I have to sell/ trade my front diff. Hope it goes to someone here on the forum.

14. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

I will have to keep that in mind for sure.

15. drew02a

Damn, looks like the AC Pre-runners only come with an auto tranny.

16. KTMrider

KTMrider New Member

Definitely do the supercharger! Im going to get a RCD kit soon and planning on getting 35s, I think I can keep it at 70mph at around 1950rpms using boost in 5th gear. So I really don't think I will need to re-gear for power, but I may pick up a set of factory 4.10s later.

17. drew02a

If you re-gear, you'll want 4.56 gears with those 35s

18. KTMrider

KTMrider New Member

damn I was hoping to keep the gas mileage. Well with the 4.56 its going to be ballsy as hell.

19. taco4x4rar

taco4x4rar Well-Known Member

Well look who saw the light, what sort of axle do you plan to use? also as for leafs vs links leaf spring with panard vs 3-link/4link is going to be about the same handeing and flex wise. Personally I'm going with long ass leafs vs the linked suspesion just more bang for the buck. Links are great if you can afford the inital expense plus the time to properly adjust the system. This would be a much better question on RockSoildToys.com or Pirate4x4.com.

20. AlienXtx

AlienXtx Nignog

Dude, the Auto is SOOO much better for what you will be doing with your truck. With the V6 and SC you will plenty of power plus with the Auto you only have 2 pedels to worry about.