Linked or Leaf Springs

taco4x4rar

Think I could use the parts I cut off of my 4Runner to do a 3link for the front of a Pickup?

What parts? The coils are too liteand the links are too short. If you really want solid axle the best option is the trail gear kit best bang for the Buck all you have to provide is an axle

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Yeah, but if I'm going to swap I want to link the front and move it forward so I can get a better approach angle.

Just buy the TG parts minus the links, then build longer links.. pushes the front forward and maintains the already fab'd mounts. Got to be careful how far you try to push it forward, not a whole lot of room for a steering box if you go too far.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I'd seriously build new ones. Not that much $$ and the end product would be vastly superior.

RockSolidToys

If your going to run this on the street at all you DO NOT want a complete hydro system for your steering. Not only is it illegal, but it is super dangerous. If you get a leak or blow a hose you loose ABSOLUTELY all steering control of your vehicle. Hydro assist is the best way to go for any of these vehicles. Not a good idea at all for any vehicle unless it is a competition only vehicle to run a full hydro setup and then I have my reservations. I've seen too many of those loose a hose and then your dead in the water and if it happens while your on the freeway or a nasty trail the resulting out come could be horrific.

drew02a

Staff member
If your going to run this on the street at all you DO NOT want a complete hydro system for your steering. Not only is it illegal, but it is super dangerous. If you get a leak or blow a hose you loose ABSOLUTELY all steering control of your vehicle. Hydro assist is the best way to go for any of these vehicles. Not a good idea at all for any vehicle unless it is a competition only vehicle to run a full hydro setup and then I have my reservations. I've seen too many of those loose a hose and then your dead in the water and if it happens while your on the freeway or a nasty trail the resulting out come could be horrific.
LOL, image if that happened to a vehicle that was had full hydro and rear steer too, lol.

taco4x4rar

Stick with the steering box and hydro assist. Since your dead set on links and the axle as far forward as possible you may be able to find a way to run the steering arms and drag link behind the axle and use a forward swing steering box to do the steering. People do this on chevys with 52" spring swaps to avoid having to move the box and push the axle forward, but those a re leaf springs so nothing to really get in the way of the drag link but the links would be smack in the way on a linked setup. Regaurdless you can push the axle pretty far forward and with a large enough tire you could get a very good (close to 90*) approach angle on a standard steering setup.