Looking for some quick help (2010 leaky 3rd?)

Oswego

n00b
Jlinks truck is puking fluid from what seems to be the third member. He called me cause he is at the hospital visiting his mom and can't get online so I told him I would ask you guys. He has a 10' Sport.

He is going to check the diff fluid level when he gets done visiting. Does anyone know off the top of their head what fluid is used on a 10' with LSD? My 08' is mechanical so I'm 99% sure it's different. I didn't wanna waste time searching before I posted this so I'm going to look up the fluids now.

Oswego

n00b
Found what I needed.

24mm socket
3qts of 75w-85 or 75w-90 + extra qts for spewage
36 ft-lbs for plug

He will check the fluid once he is out of the hospital.

Oswego

n00b
same fluid minus the LSD additive. it's the Auto LSD. mechanically, i don't why it would be "puking" fluid

IDK either and I'm 2+ hrs away so no way to tell. When he called me I figured it was some sort of transfer case leak until I saw the pics. His truck is a lemon. Already had the 4x actuator replaced and Toyota refuses to fix it 100% because they said he submerged the truck and they found traces of moisture in the transfer case - which per Marlin is sadly typical. He doesn't beat it and never submerged it. I think they just saw the snorkel and screwed him over.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I would agree about the brake fluid (and these puppies with ABS/DSC will pump the fluid even if you foot is not on the brake as long as the ignition is on).

If there is the same spuing on the passenger side, then I would say its a pinion seal.

taco4x4rar

I'm guessing pinion seal is toast.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER

Oswego

n00b
That don't look like diff fluid, and I've never seen it leak like that. It actually looks more like the brake fluid is leaking. Check the reservoir.

I asked him if it smelled bad and he said no. I told him to check his brake fluid and oil level (before seeing the pics) - he said both were full.

I would agree about the brake fluid (and these puppies with ABS/DSC will pump the fluid even if you foot is not on the brake as long as the ignition is on).

If there is the same spuing on the passenger side, then I would say its a pinion seal.

I'm guessing pinion seal is toast.

That's not a hard dealio - but he's probably still under warranty! That's no fun!

He has less then 30k on the truck. His truck seems to be a total lemon if you ask me + his dealership like many others have their head up their rear.

He bought fluid last night but for some reason didn't check the diff fluid level :confused:

I told him to write the service manager an e-mail with the pics and ask them what he is supposed to do (keep everything written because I don't trust those guys). The dealer told him to drop it off tonight so time will tell.

I am assuming some sort of BS will come back from Toyota saying your tires are too big (265/70/17) and combined with the lift (Fox shocks front & rear just installed 2 weeks ago) coupled with the offroading he does they won't cover squat.

The worst thing is he babys the truck and treats it better then anyone I know including myself.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I told him to write the service manager an e-mail with the pics and ask them what he is supposed to do (keep everything written because I don't trust those guys). The dealer told him to drop it off tonight so time will tell.

I am assuming some sort of BS will come back from Toyota saying your tires are too big (265/70/17) and combined with the lift (Fox shocks front & rear just installed 2 weeks ago) coupled with the offroading he does they won't cover squat.

The worst thing is he babys the truck and treats it better then anyone I know including myself.

Amazing stuff - they will cover the cost of cutting people's gas pedal (not mine :)) for a problem of idiots driving their cars but they will try to weasel out o real issues!

taco4x4rar

Well covered or not its a cheap easy fix.