Mauzer's 02' Runner build

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I'll drop the knuckle off at a local shop to have the new bearings, etc pressed in and the UBJ's can be done once I reinstall
Body lifts are quick and easy, body mounts I'm not sure of
Fluids are quick and easy

I was surprised my local Toyota dealer was cheaper on my knuckle rebuild than any of the surrounding shops.

Mauzer

Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er
I was surprised my local Toyota dealer was cheaper on my knuckle rebuild than any of the surrounding shops.
That is interesting, did they let you take all the parts? I didn't even call just b/c I figured they'd try to gouge me. I would normally call my buddy that works at North Park Lexus but I need to get this done ASAP and I normally have to wait a week or two for him to get me in for the "friends & family discount."

Reactions: tex

Mauzer

I ended up picking up a new spindle with newer bearing and hub from my local JY and just installed it with the new UBJ. I'll run it till it fails and just have the new bearing, etc pressed into my old spindle to reduce down time. I want to get grade 8 hardware before I remove the BL so thats on hold. I'm also considering doing poly body mounts all around but the price difference is significant (rear only $75 v. ALL $230)

Oil change and diff fluids while I was at it ~172,300 miles

Need to look into my power steering pump now as it starting to "chirp" when I start it after its been sitting for a bit (overnight, during work).

Last edited:

tx_shooter

Staff member
Been looking into the Matterhorn rack. My only issue is how it mounts to the roof with the stock rack base.

MOUNTING — The roof rack mounts into the OEM roof rails with four 1/4” thick aluminum brackets that are 2” tall. This height is the perfect balance of keeping your weight as low as possible while still making it easy to mount things to the rack. The front of the rack rests on two adjustable mounts that allow you to set the amount of pressure you need.

Rocky MTN Full Length Roofrack - Page 3 - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Finally found a pic where they show the mounting system. While I like the profile lines this is not the best setup IMO. Don't get me wrong - I am now looking at a full length rack and this is the best one on the market right now in my opinion for the 3rd gens. I am just trying to decide to buy or build.

matterhorn mounting system.JPG

Mauzer

Most (if not all) of the 3rd Gen 4Runner racks utilize the stock rails (GOBI, BAJA, Whitson, etc)...but if you want to mount it differently you could just fab something different which would be waaay easier than making your own rack and mounting system (but probably not cheaper?).

tx_shooter

Staff member
Thinking I will go over a few design options and see what I come up with. The Matterhorn is $800 + s/h. I am pretty sure my current 3/4 rack only has $60 worth of material in it. Aluminum is more expensive than steel but that is a pretty good difference in price. Still a good rack though.

Mauzer

Yeah, I want a full length but the Yakima I got for Christmas a long time ago was free to me and has been able to hold all my camping gear thus far so a rack has been on my radar but not my top priority (which is a rear bumper if I can save the money AND not have an emergency expense take it away)

Mauzer

Hopefully get some work done this weekend. We've been out of town every damn weekend since tax season ended. I did get to stay in Bastrop for a night this weekend on our way to CS for my bro's graduation. The state park is pretty much destroyed but Lake Bastrop was awesome. My dad bought me an inflatable kayak (K2Explorer) as a semi joke for Christmas but it was actually pretty handy for the lake. Fit my wife, myself, and the little one comfortably and cruised around the lake on a windy day.

SamSter0077

Frack me..
Lake bastrop get really warm during the summer. It was 98 degrees the last time I camped there.. power plant lake.. it was at 110 week.

Mauzer

Changed oil @ 177200
Drained and refilled xfer case w/ 75w-90 Synthetic
Ordered AM/FM splitter for CB antenna (power antenna has been broken for a while)
Ordered Toyota air filters to replace old K&N

Mauzer

Got in a literal fender bender on New Year’s Eve (daytime, no alcohol involved) when a semi decided to turn in front of me. I stopped but the trailer hit my fender before I could get completely out of the way.

Here is the carnage:
22C0AFDE-1717-4874-9DFE-BFC8C028605D.jpeg
71A1D9D6-833E-4E3A-871A-90C1D0D1EE70.jpeg

Their insurance has been a bitch to deal with (CA company & Truck) and my lawyer said there’s not much we do without me having to pay ridiculous lawyers bills so I’ve been left waiting. I decided to just fix it myself and hope I get reimbursed one day (restore my bumper fund)
I needed a new fender, headlight, corner lens, and grill so I’d been slowly gathering parts during tax season. I finally had some time this weekend (even though my wife and little girl were sick) so I got to work.

Tear down:
94F36D3F-92D2-4D0D-BBF7-51A3140A2632.jpeg

Realized the front bib was bent so I BFH’d and molded it until it was were it needed to be
7DD9C996-D735-4B15-BAFF-EC7E896AA01C.jpeg

Then painted the bib with color match and repainted the bottom portion that my tube bumper leaves exposed with a matte black. I got a flush mount grill from SRQ Fab and painted it to match. Installed OEM headlight and corner lens (modified again for turn signal) and aftermarket fender painted to match.
FACFBD18-F268-4DFE-8F00-62A0878F2971.jpeg

9CF6A69B-6FF5-4674-A7CB-53CF2220C9A8.jpeg

Body gaps were a bitch to get right in the dark last night but I think it turned out well
A17C81C7-B6C0-454B-9591-88B472193D07.jpeg

F5866FB9-DCE7-444B-B8D5-F97DE16401C6.jpeg

Just need to sand and repaint the flare and I’ll call it done

Mauzer

I also installed a CB/AM/FM splitter (same as @tx_shooter ) so I need to plug the antenna mount somehow.

New airfilter and was going to clean MAF and replace spark plugs but ran out of time/patience

tx_shooter

Staff member
Sucks the other company is going to weasel out of this. But the rig looks good after all that. Body work sucks.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Nice work on the fender.

Mauzer

Yeah I'm not sold on the "Satoshi" grill yet but it was cheaper than buying an OEM grill and allll the JY grills are cracked or broken. I bought an old FJ "TOYOTA" emblem to mount to the front but I'm waiting to see if I keep the grill.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
Nice job fixing it. Now I am curious who the trucking company is since I know several out there. Share if you want or PM me.
I would have thought your insurance company could have gone after them for the repairs.

Mauzer

I've never been in an accident before so I have liability only coverage on the 4Runner and the deductible was more than it cost me to repair using my uninsured motorist coverage. My insurance company (Liberty Mutual) actually hasn't been very helpful, if/when this is ever resolved we may switch.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
I've never been in an accident before so I have liability only coverage on the 4Runner and the deductible was more than it cost me to repair using my uninsured motorist coverage. My insurance company (Liberty Mutual) actually hasn't been very helpful, if/when this is ever resolved we may switch.

I have a really good agent with Texas Farm Bureau. Let me know if you want his contact info. I asked about coverage while off road and they will cover it.