Mobil 1 annual oil change

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
What kind of bullshit is this? Are they getting kickbacks from dealerships who will be denying warranty claims and folks selling crate engines? Fuck even with full synthetic oil I hate going over 4k miles... old school values I guess. Maybe there is fine print to change the filter every 3500 miles. What says you?

taco4x4rar

Oil life good, filter not so much. However I am regularly changing the oil in the GMC when the light comes on, roughly 8000 or so miles usually. Oil comes out cleanish and the filter I cut apart wasn't clogged badly but was definitely near the end of its life

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Pretty sure the fine print says one year or 20,000 miles. So for people like me it would be for 6 months. I am pretty sure I would not go that long on one oil change.

Silverback

Fuck you do 40k miles a year? In the 4R?

Silverback

Yeah I figure the filter needs to be changed at least every 5k. Again old school. At 5k I'm freaking out.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
What kind of bullshit is this? Are they getting kickbacks from dealerships who will be denying warranty claims and folks selling crate engines? Fuck even with full synthetic oil I hate going over 4k miles... old school values I guess. Maybe there is fine print to change the filter every 3500 miles. What says you?

They added some slick 50 in there, no worries

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Last year was a low year for me and I still did 36,000 in my 4R.

Currently I only run Mobil1 oil and Toyota filters every 5,000 miles.
Damn! Time to get a Prius for you or some cheap commuter car...

Anathollo

Staff member
I change the filter & drain my catch can at 5k miles. I change the oil, oil filter & catch can at 10k miles.

When I would change my oil at 5k miles, it would come out looking new. When I change it at 10k miles, it looks like it's time for a change.

Edit: I run the Mobile One M-209 oil filter which is double the size of the stock oil filter. Thanks @SecretSquirrel for that tip.

Anathollo

Staff member
On my wife's Volvo, it's every 10k miles or 1 year for the oil change. She has one or two free services left at the stealership and then I'll be taking over and changing her oil/doing the maintenance.

Oswego

n00b
My dad runs Mobil-1 in all his big rigs and has since I was a little kid. He is not changing his oil every 5k, but his trucks also have filters that can handle it. He buys Mobil-1 by the 50gal drum lol

My Subaru runs Mobil-1 0-20 and the manual calls for 7k oil changes in non-severe conditions.

the_white_shadow

I change my ram 2500 every 15k along with the fuel filters. My 79 gets it every 5k.

Anathollo

Staff member
I change my ram 2500 every 15k along with the fuel filters. My 79 gets it every 5k.
On my buddies 99' F350 that he still has, he put in a secondary oil filter which is basically 3 paper rolls in a tank mounted to the frame rail of the truck. He sent in an oil sample to the company that sells the secondary oil filter setup and they let him know that he'll have to change his oil every 42k miles now after installing that kit.

Oswego

n00b
On my buddies 99' F350 that he still has, he put in a secondary oil filter which is basically 3 paper rolls in a tank mounted to the frame rail of the truck. He sent in an oil sample to the company that sells the secondary oil filter setup and they let him know that he'll have to change his oil every 42k miles now after installing that kit.

Blackstone is one of the testing companies. It's not all that expensive considering how much an engine can cost lol

Guy I knew from TW days ran his Yota with the 4.7 for 30k with Mobil Synthetic 5w-30 then sent them a sample. They said something along the lines of we appreciate you pushing the limits, but we would of recommended you change it 10k miles prior - thats still 20k (if I remember the story right).

Anathollo

Staff member
Blackstone is one of the testing companies. It's not all that expensive considering how much an engine can cost lol

Guy I knew from TW days ran his Yota with the 4.7 for 30k with Mobil Synthetic 5w-30 then sent them a sample. They said something along the lines of we appreciate you pushing the limits, but we would of recommended you change it 10k miles prior - thats still 20k (if I remember the story right).
Yeah my brother runs the testing lab for an oil testing company here and I asked him once to take a look at one of my oil samples and he refused saying "it's better to not know what is going out whether it be your rings, pistons, etc...". He tested the oil out of his old GMC 1500 once years ago and regretted it based off what he saw in the oil sample lol

Oswego

n00b
Brutalguyracing was paranoid for a few years when his new 4runner had tested high for levels of copper or some shit lol. I wait until I hear engine noise - then I keep on driving for a few years. Pretty stupied but I am who I am.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Has anyone on here put a high pressure filter between the tank and the fuel rail?
?