NO RAGRETS - A 2011 Tacoma

the_white_shadow

As some may know i bought Weldertaco's 2011 regular cab Tacoma from him. Its been beat on for years, been in a slow roll over, sat for a while, and now needs some TLC......and links, SD axles, coilovers, 40s and pet snake removal.

This truck will be getting a makeover and will not have any of the following gayness done to it:
No snorkels or any of that shit
No roof racks or roof top tent BS
No angel eye headlights or unnecessary light bars mounted to the roof
No expo AF related items
No fart can mufflers
No douche aftermarket grilles
More to add this list as I come across it.

NOTE: I started this thread on Tacoma World first (since im offshore the IP was blocked when trying TOR beforehand) and the list above blew their fucking minds. I love trolling those guys over there a little bit. So easily butthurt.

Pure function over form.

Now that that is out of the way on to my build plan for this thing.
@trailtoys 3-link kit in the front (slightly modified to fit a single t-case)
4-link in the rear
SD 05+ axles front and rear
1550 u-joint '17+ SD oem Ford axle shafts (Direct fit)
5.38s and some type of locker (not ARB)
Accutune Fox Coilovers 14s/16s f/r
Fox Bumps
Trail Toys 1-ton master cylinder kit
back-halved & probably front-halved
40" nittos (or equivalent) on Trailready Beadlocks (or equivalent)
Atlas t-case (since that taco box doubler is retarded expensive and never in stock)
IFS box to keep mechanical steering to drive on the street
Frame plates for the shit tacoma frames
Artec trusses, brackets and SD high-steer arms
ARB or similar plate bumper
Interior cage or small exo cage around the cab only
Flatbed Delete (Found a longbed in silver to replace it)
Needs new windshield to pass inspection
Replace broken back window and drivers door glass due to the rollover.

Im bored offshore right now so i figured i would get started with what i have done so far. Since it was rolled, it didnt come with most of the front end sheet metal. I installed new 2wd Rockauto fenders, and grille (grille fits like shit, but thats what i get for using aftermarket stuff). I picked up the toyota emblem from a guy here on TW.

How she came into the shop rocking that warrior spare front wheel.
_rnJmnHAKQgJSFYcDARsM1F6yN80fjquWE7odcKFRv6yMeWnwMihPmacXkm8W0ZM7S8ewR3Sml5wuO-VihpYe1TO1yiHgja7-lG70Hw-yBit_vkF93ruw4rY52Wf9_limZRo2RmyMw=w1200

Kase had the door so i did some bending of the hinges to get it to latch again.
XhFsdvYNcnnGOMDSMTsgCQmcpCIG4mHKh-86EigFS9cHIFG29t5SDRWZP48h6ZI3tCCyzzpBHQANXH5JSojRHWIdFjMoq57oQ8XuhrpmssTqlTox35fdLBdCreGaPvpCW36yu0JBgQ=w1200

New front end re-installed.
t-PxWFR1szoTOLlaIC4_Ap-qBKgfTjIFGPLabcmvFMY9WuwrnjCqHXA5KZfOicaqiL8SHMjgc89XmRIxZsZVKRKl6kpwgvqyRnlYNHojzLKBOQISuKcoeR3KZxsL5FLh6ltj5C5kxQ=w1200

Trimmed about 2" off the fenders to clear the 35s at full lock. They will be trimmed much more once the SAS starts.
c9f3jc5ImTR4vafnXsjr2_gD0KgD9O9dMd-odGuTq5FYkASY05KbJyd8_fcVKZh5uem-Ai2t7a3J4bcFlWyc9W60DnvC2trxsrA7D7u9LCv6quUidK_BXgwtJ-XUHW0vdGtdq3pukQ=w1200

AhzuDJ2GjFqdglLTib3iwRqS0e9BpRT76os2RHHe-Ci9-4KPkEKho0k8BBQy2wKrwRtKrEHp1FsTzUdy8SOd8inyq4GHsctm2QML-syXs2knvXNevT8F-cCBjud73M0QirknOhmwjA=w1200

I also did some re-wiring to get the IG2 fuse behind the coin holder to keep from popping instantly with key ON. This fixed the AC, speedo, blinkers, etc. AC blows nice and cold now. All lights work. Should pass inspection once i get the windshield replaced.

As i was cleaning up some in the cab, i came across these 3 fine specimens. The 1st one scared the shit out of me. The 2nd two did the same. Couldnt find the snakes anywhere inside but i know that one day it will crawl up my pant leg while im driving and ill will swerve into oncoming traffic and die.
HFQBqTF_y4vpL6gs1CAfWLSUqsw5UppJD0P_0cTUfG8Whzw-ZCgbZVWxWjS_v7OvaFyJiXH3mEv0eKtXfaWWLRG9HGVWMDu8vogdWjI8YO8SLQeAlR1Nq0whS2RIc8lcaac5LNbo4g=w1200

Some initial thoughts on the truck. It runs and drives pretty good. It has 126k miles on the 4cyl and 5-speed. The front UCAs need new bushings but I will be spending $0 on the any of the IFS stuff. Its has 4.88s now and does pretty well on the road. The welded rear makes cutting donuts fun.

As i wait for deals on parts (this will take a while before i start chopping stuff off the frame), i plan on putting on some used Nitto/Toyo/BFG 37s for a 17" wheel (probably FJC steel spare wheels at $80 a pop on EBAY) and rocking it until the actual project starts. Used tires for 16" wheels seem to be non-existent. I already have another truck that i use for hardcore trails so im hoping this one can be used if its ever broken and still keep up with all my hoodrat friends and also to drive on local beach trips, mud runs (without actually mudding), etc. The 2nd gen SAS popularity will be coming very very soon as prices for these trucks start to come down.

NO RAGRETS

3FLeZwRnwY1SZbKhrSFq9vTo1_-mSGq7p3rryT7OQtxqPn7geHrXyxeth_HGMUI_6SXKX2ueSgcuzOQ3qS70t1MntPaA4BUSnh2MQz0vzR5bYtPEyf8aYwgLWawpa3ap1n4l6Ok8xQ=w1200

the_white_shadow

Been doing some research on Atlas swaps. Looks like AA doesnt make an adapter directly to the R155f trans that i have behind my 2TR. However i have read that the R155f bellhousing will fit any R-Series transmissions. That gives me two options. Option 1 will be to find a R151 swap the bell and run a 23-spline yota crawl box to a flipped D300, or run a R150f to an AA adapter to a 23-spline Atlas 2 or 4-speed. I think with the 4-banger and 40" tires, the yota crawl box will hold up as long i keep it 23-spline. You can even run an Atlas behind the crawlbox instead of the D300. Im running a gear driven case behind a r150f in my RHD truck behind the 1UZ. Decisions. Decisions.

The real question, is how much difference is there in the R155f and R150F trans? Spline count? T-case bolt pattern? I think Marlin has these answers, just need to do some more research.

the_white_shadow

Some notes so i dont forget them later. Still researching the most cost efficient way to get an Atlas in this thing and i think i came up with a good solution:

Source an AX15 from a late-model Jeep Wrangler (The AX15 came behind a lot of Jeep/Dodge engines throughout the years, its 5-speed)
NOTE: The AX15 is internally basically the same as any R-series toyota transmissions. Bearings, input shafts, synchros, etc all will bolt in and swap out. Gears as well (the r151f has the lowest first gear at 4.3:1). Not sure what the AX15 has. I will do some more research and report back.

The atlas will bolt directly to the AX15 without an adapter ($$$).

I will re-use the R155f bellhousing, clutch, TO bearing, fork, etc. The bellhousing bolt pattern from any R-series trans should bolt to the AX15 without issue.

I will probably have to swap input shafts to get the correct length to install in the pilot bearing. Not sure if this needs to be from an R155f, or from another Toyota R-series transmission (150, 151, 154, etc).

Now i just need to keep an eye out for a cheap atlas.

the_white_shadow

To add to the post above.

OEM r155f input shaft - $266
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem...E;6=5F)&Location=transmission-gear-mtm,,33311

OEM R151f Turbo 5-speed first gear (its lower 4.3:1 vs 3.83 in the AX15) - $129
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem...12=TBO)&Location=transmission-gear-mtm,,33335

EDIT: looks like in order to use the 4.3:1 lower first gear, i will need to purchase the countershaft as well. That will require finding one from a junk r151 which wont be easy. Might not do this part. Just think of upgrades while i have everything apart.

EDIT2: Found the counter shaft. I was calling ti the wrong thing when i searched. "counter gear:
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem...12=TBO)&Location=transmission-gear-mtm,,33421

the_white_shadow

Just doing some pricing on new 39/40s when the time comes. Lets see how much more expensive they get next year when i make the purchase.

Not in any order of preference:
1: 40" Nitto Trail Grappler - $1602 with a $50 off coupon and free shipping on ebay

$1,652 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 40X13.50R17 C/6PR BSW (4 Tires)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitto-Trai...338015&hash=item33e859e0e1:g:~zIAAOSwGV9a9izK

2: 40" Cooper STT Pro - $1579 with a $50 off coupon, plus tax and free shipping

$378 1 NEW 40/13.50-17 COOPER DISCOVERER STT PRO 13.50R R17 TIRE 32596
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-40-1...279393&hash=item48954bc424:g:EWkAAOSw83dbfYL5

3: 40" Toyo Open Country MT - $1695 with free shipping, no tax

$424 New Toyo Open Country MT LT40X13.50R17 121Q 6PLY 40135017 40/13.50-17
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Toyo-O...688027&hash=item33eeb60704:g:2JcAAOSw6WNaxiov

4: New 39" BFG Mud Terrain KM3 - $1490 with free shipping from Summit racing (Not available until end of October)
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 Tires 71004

5: Fury Offroad MTs are $343 per tire on EBAY (last choice)

Im leaning towards the Coopers or the new BFGs. Nittos third, then the stupid expensive Toyos (probably best tire out of the bunch), then the Fury's.

the_white_shadow

I think yall are caught up now. Once i get home, ill be doing some trading and getting rid of the front bumper/sliders/flatbed (available if anyone is interested) and putting it back to stock ish until i can find a good deal on aftermarket bumpers.

Anyone know where i can find a decent back window for cheaper than Ebay. They want $240 for one which is more than the damn windshield. Sliding preferred.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
This rig deserves some custom work that is not sketchy finally. I am impressed the 4 banger is staying in there. I figured you had a spare V8 that needed a home somewhere in the shop.

the_white_shadow

If the 4banger and a set of deep gears isnt enough, i may turbo it down the road. Id like to keep the yota engine/trans if possible in this one. The AC blows nice and cold and it only has 126k miles on it.

the_white_shadow

I think they are Total Chaos arms. I will have to check when i get back.

Oswego

n00b
I think yall are caught up now. Once i get home, ill be doing some trading and getting rid of the front bumper/sliders/flatbed (available if anyone is interested) and putting it back to stock ish until i can find a good deal on aftermarket bumpers.

Anyone know where i can find a decent back window for cheaper than Ebay. They want $240 for one which is more than the damn windshield. Sliding preferred.

Dealer cost for a CRL aftermarket slider is $183.55. I don't sell automotive products, but I do have an account with CRL for glazing tools/parts so at least you can use this info as a bargaining chip. They also have power sliders for $426 lol

If you were local I'd hook you up at cost, but no can do for as far away as you are and as picky as my boss is.

The other prices listed are for people who don't spend 50k a year with them. Our price is discounted as much as possible or so their salesman tells me because we spend 200k a year.

upload_2018-8-27_11-32-6.png

the_white_shadow

Thanks for the info. Im hoping that whoever i go to for the front windshield will give me a package deal on both. If not, it is what it is.

CowboyTaco

As some may know i bought Weldertaco's 2011 regular cab Tacoma from him. Its been beat on for years, been in a slow roll over, sat for a while, and now needs some TLC......and links, SD axles, coilovers, 40s and pet snake removal.

This truck will be getting a makeover and will not have any of the following gayness done to it:
No snorkels or any of that shit
No roof racks or roof top tent BS
No angel eye headlights or unnecessary light bars mounted to the roof
No expo AF related items
No fart can mufflers
No douche aftermarket grilles
More to add this list as I come across it.

This list cracked me up. Especially the part about the pet snake removal.

Glad to see this truck go to someone who will use it properly. I was a little bummed when I thought it went to some random douche bag, but now I can rest easy.

the_white_shadow

I dont consider myself a douche...more of an asshole.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Good club to be in.