Ouray

balakay

BabyMax
So I'm gonna be in Ouray for two days at the end of next month. Not going as a wheeling trip but definitely want to go "sight seeing". That's how I'm selling it to the lady friend. I'm going to have time to run one, maybe two total. I'm going in the GX. Lift, 32" ATs, nothing else. What should my first and second trail choices be? I'd love to do Black Bear Pass but dont think I'm up for it on this trip. So what would you all choose? Engineer? Imogene? Any other places I should check out while we're there?

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you
I have books and maps for you if you want.
I really like Stony Pass and take it to the Rio Grande Reservoir and it hits highway between Creede and Lake City. Go north on that and then take Cinnamon or Engineer back over to Ouray.

balakay

BabyMax
I have books and maps for you if you want.
I really like Stony Pass and take it to the Rio Grande Reservoir and it hits highway between Creede and Lake City. Go north on that and then take Cinnamon or Engineer back over to Ouray.

Now that you say that, I have a book somewhere.

I'm mainly just looking for something I can do solo and nothing that's too technical. I'll take views over obstacles for this trip. We'll be getting there the 23rd which is the last day of FJ Summit so I figure Tuesday when I get a chance to go out there should still be plenty of others on the trails that extended their stay from Summit. Not ideal but at least there will be others around should anything happen.

balakay

BabyMax
Also we're still looking for somewhere to stay. Currently it's looking like Twin Peaks Lodge but are open to other suggestions. We have to have it booked by the end of the weekend so still have a few days to decide where for sure.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
You really need to do all of the trails you mentioned. YOU MAY LOSE YOUR MAN CARD OTHERWISE. The lady friend will know you are a good MAN that way. Also, go play on the water slides and hot 'tub' in the park at the end of town. So much Jelly.

italynstylion

@balakay , you going at the end of July? I'll be there at that time too. I'm leaving for Colorado Saturday the 22nd and coming back on Sunday the 30th. We will be in Ouray pretty much the whole time. We will likely hit somewhere else on the drive up there so we will probably arrive in Ouray on Monday the 24th. If you're there the same time we should meet up. The antlers motel actually just got a makeover so if you're looking for a place to stay I'm told it just got better. Not sure what it looks like now but they finished the renovation in February I think.

The town just finished up a remodel of the hot springs. They are VERY nice now. I'm sure your lady friend will enjoy that. There's a brand new distillery that just opened up across from the baseball field but the Ouray Brewery is THE spot in town for great beer. They have a roof top patio and it's killer. If you're wanting to do some hiking there's a trail that goes around the entire town. It starts just across from the hot springs and climbs up pretty quick initially. After you get up there it sort of stays mostly the same elevation and circles the entire town. There's a huge waterfall that feeds the flume on the east side of town near the beginning of the trail (probably a half mile in?). The "baby bathtubs" spot is also a pretty cool stream feature too. It's a long trail so plan for most of the day and bring water and lunch with you. The nice thing is you can bail out at a bunch of spots if you don't want to do the whole thing.

One thing to also consider is Telluride since it's only about a 45 min drive. You can also take Imogene pass from Ouray into Telluride. It's more of a ski resort type town so it's a bit more upscale than Ouray. There's a free Gondola that runs up the mountain to Mountain Village that gives you a great view. The first stop on the Gondola is a very very nice restaurant called Allreds. Certainly a bit pricey but if you're wanting to sell the girlfriend on the trip it's certainly a great option to have dinner on top of the mountain at a killer restaurant.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Engineer Pass is like a highway to a lot of other trails. It connects a bunch of trails together and is an easy trail. I would skip Cinnamon pass since you can do that trail in a stock Lexus.

Imogene Pass would definitely be on my list.

I would say Poughkeepsie as well but depending on the weather, there's one obstacle you might not be able to make it over. So you should avoid this one unless wheeling with someone who has a winch.

EDIT: Finished my thought on Poughkeepsie.

Last edited:

balakay

BabyMax
@balakay , you going at the end of July? I'll be there at that time too. I'm leaving for Colorado Saturday the 22nd and coming back on Sunday the 30th. We will be in Ouray pretty much the whole time. We will likely hit somewhere else on the drive up there so we will probably arrive in Ouray on Monday the 24th. If you're there the same time we should meet up. The antlers motel actually just got a makeover so if you're looking for a place to stay I'm told it just got better. Not sure what it looks like now but they finished the renovation in February I think.

The town just finished up a remodel of the hot springs. They are VERY nice now. I'm sure your lady friend will enjoy that. There's a brand new distillery that just opened up across from the baseball field but the Ouray Brewery is THE spot in town for great beer. They have a roof top patio and it's killer. If you're wanting to do some hiking there's a trail that goes around the entire town. It starts just across from the hot springs and climbs up pretty quick initially. After you get up there it sort of stays mostly the same elevation and circles the entire town. There's a huge waterfall that feeds the flume on the east side of town near the beginning of the trail (probably a half mile in?). The "baby bathtubs" spot is also a pretty cool stream feature too. It's a long trail so plan for most of the day and bring water and lunch with you. The nice thing is you can bail out at a bunch of spots if you don't want to do the whole thing.

One thing to also consider is Telluride since it's only about a 45 min drive. You can also take Imogene pass from Ouray into Telluride. It's more of a ski resort type town so it's a bit more upscale than Ouray. There's a free Gondola that runs up the mountain to Mountain Village that gives you a great view. The first stop on the Gondola is a very very nice restaurant called Allreds. Certainly a bit pricey but if you're wanting to sell the girlfriend on the trip it's certainly a great option to have dinner on top of the mountain at a killer restaurant.

Yep we're getting there Sunday the 23rd and heading home the 26th! Just a quick trip to get away before me and her both start back to school for the fall. Thanks for the recommendations I'll definitely take them into consideration. I'll hit you up when I know a little more about where we're staying and what all we have planned. No having to sell her on this trip. She wants to go and had to convince me to take the vacation days at work to go. This is her trip I'm just along for the ride. But was told I could have a little 4x4 time.

Mauzer

Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er
Yep we're getting there Sunday the 23rd and heading home the 26th! Just a quick trip to get away before me and her both start back to school for the fall. Thanks for the recommendations I'll definitely take them into consideration. I'll hit you up when I know a little more about where we're staying and what all we have planned. No having to sell her on this trip. She wants to go and had to convince me to take the vacation days at work to go. This is her trip I'm just along for the ride. But was told I could have a little 4x4 time.
Shit Congratulations...didn't realize you were married;)

balakay

BabyMax
Corkscrew is a cool trail. I'd skip Poughkeepsie unless that Lexus is far more capable than it lets on about. Definitely go check out Animas Forks Ghost Town. just past Silverton. You can go inside the old houses and mining structures. It's pretty cool.
Silverton to Animas Forks Ghost Town

Yeah it's more capable than I'm willing to push it to in it's current state. It's still basically just stock with a couple extra inches of clearance. Like I said before, I'm looking for more of scenic stuff than I am technical stuff so I have no problem leaving that stuff for another trip. I'll definitely look into that ghost town though. Sounds right up our alley.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I have two great write ups on Ouray. I'll be there the week of July 17th

http://www.toyotaoff-road.com/threads/bakerla-does-ouray-2012.1385/

bakerla does Ouray 2013

What has two thumbs and is jelly?

This_guy.jpg

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Engineer Pass is like a highway to a lot of other trails. It connects a bunch of trails together and is an easy trail. I would skip Cinnamon pass since you can do that trail in a stock Lexus.

Imogene Pass would definitely be on my list.

I would say Poughkeepsie as well but depending on the weather, there's one obstacle you might not be able to make it over. So you should avoid this one unless wheeling with someone who has a winch.

EDIT: Finished my thought on Poughkeepsie.
Yeah it was raining for me so I had my sammich maker pull cable on the obstacle you're talking about on Poughkeepsie.

Okay, I pulled cable.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
In Rogers defense... he makes a great sandwich! lol :)