Professionals thread (work related)

Oswego

n00b
This August will be my third year here.... today we are getting HVAC in our offices and bathrooms. Pretty stoked to have conditioned bathrooms. Also stoked to not have a window AC unit in my ear this summer since my desk backs right up to my window.

The best part is my office will not lose power when the fuse is overloaded like it has been the past 2+ years. Cutting off was almost a daily event in summer and winter. real fun when you lose 2hrs + in CAD when it shuts off ~ I now have it backing up every 5 minutes lol

Oswego

n00b
Bardsley hit sends Anders Glass under

Thats why a emergency fund is always needed. Company has a good backlog and been in the biz for almost 90 years yet they allwoed one unpaid job to take them down. Pretty sad state of affairs and crappy management if they couldn't pull a credit line to cover the 80k. Must also be some unsaid issues with management thats made them insolvent

Oswego

n00b
lol @ the "union" guys trying to make the program sound bad in the comments

:shifty:

I don't know who this guy is but he has it right.

upload_2020-2-25_11-51-35.png

Oswego

n00b
Oh and here is a before shot of a job I'm finishing this week - so I remember to post a finished pic

gotta love raised floors in old buildings ~ plenty of room for cables/electric and the floors are flat.

upload_2020-2-25_11-59-7.png

upload_2020-2-25_12-0-5.png

upload_2020-2-25_12-1-10.png

Oswego

n00b
about time someone started making good glass door panics again...... Screw CRL's junk..... the Blooms are turning over in their graves for what that company did to their good name after they bought it and ruined Blumcraft's brand with crap quality products and horrible customer service

Ive had these on a job for a year w/no issues and a few more since then w/no issues so at this point I'd recommend them. I like they are made in the US right in PA

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Yesterday was the gift that would not quit giving. I was onsite at 5:30am and left at 4:15p to go to another site that needed critical after hours work. It should have been 1.5 hours away - traffic made it 2.5 hours. Then headed back at 9p I ran into more traffic so instead of 1.5 hours it became 2 hours.

The view when I first started...
20200227_171748.jpg

Then it became this..
Screenshot_20200227-180508_Maps.jpg

But I head home after lunch today. :)

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Yesterday was the gift that would not quit giving. I was onsite at 5:30am and left at 4:15p to go to another site that needed critical after hours work. It should have been 1.5 hours away - traffic made it 2.5 hours. Then headed back at 9p I ran into more traffic so instead of 1.5 hours it became 2 hours.

View attachment 21061

Then it became this..
View attachment 21062

F all that nonsense, can’t you just remote in?

Oswego

n00b
View attachment 21053 Also found this inside

Looks good man. I have always admired iron workers. Never in the heat or AC..... my sisters dad was a iron worker setting beams in high rises back in the 60's and 70's when the sky scrapers were popping up all over NYC and Philly.

View attachment 21061

Then it became this..
View attachment 21062

Man... That makes me reevaluate my "bad days". Thats enough travel and traffic to drive me crazy

180k glass job completing today. Did my final walk through this morning and took some pics. My guys kicked ass. Gave my foreman a $25 Wawa gift card, shook all their hands, told them to leave early when they are done (still get paid for 8) and thanked them for a good months work.

again - I don't design this stuff.... I just take the architects bad plans and designs and make them safe for the real world use.

before & after
upload_2020-2-28_7-15-57.png

after
upload_2020-2-28_7-17-21.png

backside of first pics
upload_2020-2-28_7-18-50.png

There is a bunch other glass and doors, + some storefront doors, and some high security access doors, but once you've seen one - you've seen them all and I already posted pics of a bunch.

Best part of the job - we make a big push this week to get done on schedule. Idiots in the other trades left their job box's in the rooms. My guys put the door in and trapped their box's in the offices. I had to send 3 guys down two nights ago to drop two doors so they could get them out. Moral of the story - if your guys onsite suck and are clueless where they can't think one day ahead don't use job box's that are wider then 32" (ADA minimum clearances for doors when open) so you don't have to pay me $600 to get three guys out after hrs to fix your stupidity. Thats my cost and the guys lucky I was feeling nice ~ I typically put 100% mark up on emergency work not 0%, but I didn't want to kick him while he was already down.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Looks good man. I have always admired iron workers. Never in the heat or AC..... my sisters dad was a iron worker setting beams in high rises back in the 60's and 70's when the sky scrapers were popping up all over NYC and Philly.

Man... That makes me reevaluate my "bad days". Thats enough travel and traffic to drive me crazy

180k glass job completing today. Did my final walk through this morning and took some pics. My guys kicked ass. Gave my foreman a $25 Wawa gift card, shook all their hands, told them to leave early when they are done (still get paid for 8) and thanked them for a good months work.

again - I don't design this stuff.... I just take the architects bad plans and designs and make them safe for the real world use.

before & after
View attachment 21063

after
View attachment 21064

backside of first pics
View attachment 21065

There is a bunch other glass and doors, + some storefront doors, and some high security access doors, but once you've seen one - you've seen them all and I already posted pics of a bunch.

Best part of the job - we make a big push this week to get done on schedule. Idiots in the other trades left their job box's in the rooms. My guys put the door in and trapped their box's in the offices. I had to send 3 guys down two nights ago to drop two doors so they could get them out. Moral of the story - if your guys onsite suck and are clueless where they can't think one day ahead don't use job box's that are wider then 32" (ADA minimum clearances for doors when open) so you don't have to pay me $600 to get three guys out after hrs to fix your stupidity. Thats my cost and the guys lucky I was feeling nice ~ I typically put 100% mark up on emergency work not 0%, but I didn't want to kick him while he was already down.

Nice Work.

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
I worked on a job where we turned a bank into office space. They left the vault in place because it was too expensive to remove and it's a cool talking piece. But the fire marshal made me chain it in place so it couldn't close on someone inside since the vault was no longer used.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER

View attachment 21061

Then it became this..
View attachment 21062

I had one the other day. I was meeting a couple that we probably all know - or remember from TW - who actually met on there. I was 30 min away and had an hour to get there. Turns out I got to a showing appointment 30 minutes late. I HATE BEING LATE - especially when I am meeting friends or clients. :)

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
F all that nonsense, can’t you just remote in?

Not for this kind of work - physical hardware installs, security checks, and work as three different plants. I am getting everything going enough that I can finish it out remotely. Otherwise I would be here all week.

CowboyTaco

I had one the other day. I was meeting a couple that we probably all know - or remember from TW - who actually met on there. I was 30 min away and had an hour to get there. Turns out I got to a showing appointment 30 minutes late. I HATE BEING LATE - especially when I am meeting friends or clients. :)

MonkeyProof and Jasmine or {drawing a blank} and Jnlvhorse (or whatever it is)?

Oswego

n00b
I worked on a job where we turned a bank into office space. They left the vault in place because it was too expensive to remove and it's a cool talking piece. But the fire marshal made me chain it in place so it couldn't close on someone inside since the vault was no longer used.

I remember that - it was also pretty cool. I like the mechanical intricacies of those old school safes

Same here. I try to leave 30 min early for all my appointments because I freak out and get nervous if I'm late and if I'm early I'm as cool as a cucumber. Even if I'm "on time" I feel less prepared than if I'm early.

That can be a lot of work in and of itself...

True, but a good installer can make a mediocre desk jockey like me look good most times. I'm nothing w/o a good supporting team.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER