Ram mount in 3rd Gen 4Runner

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Toyota Ram Ball Mount 1.jpg

This is just the Ram ball mount for a 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner. Overall the install is extremely simple as long as the previous owner did not leave you any surprises. I chose to go with the top bolt location so as to keep the mounted device out of my line of sight when off roading. I may go ahead and mount a lower ball as well for use while on the highway.

Install time is roughly 15 minutes and only basic hand tools are needed. Cost will depend on which cradle and arm you select; but should start around $40 and up from there. I will install an extended USB cable for charging my phone when I run a new hose for my boost gauge.

Parts needed -

Ram mount ball for motorcycle handlebar

M6-1.0x40mm allen head bolt with washer- purchased at Home Depot for around a dollar.

Ram mount short double socket arm

Ram mount X-grip cradle for cellphones

Toyota Ram Ball Mount 2.jpg

Install -

First remove screw cover with a pocket knife or other sharp thin instrument. This cover pops out easily. The screw behind the cover should be a simple gold phillips head screw. The screw may be tough to remove so use the best fitting screwdriver that you have so as to not destroy the screw head making your day longer.

At this point I screwed in and out the new bolt so as to chase the threads to clean them up a little. After that I inserted the allen head bolt through the washer and then through the Ram mount ball. The process of lining up the bolt through the mount and pull handle into the threads was a little tricky but much easier once I chased the threads. I used an allen wrench to prevent over tightening the bolt. Once the bolt is properly snug the rest of this is simply mounting the Ram mount.

Toyota Ram Ball Mount 3.jpg

Now you can adjust the arm and cradle for personal preference -

Toyota Ram Ball Mount 4.jpg

Toyota Ram Ball Mount 5.jpg

Last edited:

thekidcatcher

Question. On the back of the mount is it a essentially male or female mount? I need a base, double female arm, and Ram mount right?

tx_shooter

Staff member
Back of the cradle is a ball, the arm is a female at both ends, and the mounted ball is the base.

Now that I am not driving - the ball that is the base is hollow on this particular model so it can have the bolt go through the ball/shaft. Ram mount makes other models that have other mounting options depending on what you are mounting to.

Mauzer

Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er
Can we get these pics back? I'm looking for a way to mount my phone or a tablet in the runner...actually followed this link from T4R.org (so i guess we do provide good tech for some peeps)

tx_shooter

Staff member
Can we get these pics back? I'm looking for a way to mount my phone or a tablet in the runner...actually followed this link from T4R.org (so i guess we do provide good tech for some peeps)

Pics loaded to the thread now.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Side note.. I built my own ball mount from a longer 10mm bolt cut down and then epoxied into a ram mount ball. Holds my Garmin GPS perfectly.. at least for the past 8 years (in some version of a handheld GPS.. Garmin is the newest)

Edit.. adding photo.
IMG_9671.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: