Rebuilding Front IFS Axles

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Okay so as if I don't have enough other things to get finished. I came across this video on rebuilding axles. I have a bit of seepage (I hate to see seepage!!!! :eek:) on one of my outers so, I'm thinking when I weld on my gussets (spindle and UCA bolt gussets) it may be a good time to take the axles apart, inspect and repack - maybe replace the boots - I think it would be some good insurance. Have any of you done this? If so, what boots did you use? What grease?

[video=youtube;YEaWyxF1S7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaWyxF1S7o[/video]

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
I've seen that before.. pretty slick!

One other thing. On your outer boots, the stock clamps are pretty weak and allow seepage and sometimes the boot slips off. You can install a 4" hose clamp around the CV and it will hold it 10x better.

drew02a

Staff member

One other thing. On your outer boots, the stock clamps are pretty weak and allow seepage and sometimes the boot slips off. You can install a 4" hose clamp around the CV and it will hold it 10x better.
Is that what you put on those RCV ones? The only reason I didn't use a hose clamp is that it looked like it would hit stuff when it rotated.

yotarob

Kiss My IFS
Great thread! I have never rebuilt a CV axle, but I plan to my friends!

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Is that what you put on those RCV ones? The only reason I didn't use a hose clamp is that it looked like it would hit stuff when it rotated.

I did... It clears by about an 1/8th of an inch. But since it's just spinning it won't hit anything.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER

Cool