Roof Top Tent (RTT) Mods or questions

Anathollo

Armorall is my choice of lube
Staff member
Post any modifications or questions you have for your Roof Top Tents here!

Anathollo

Staff member
First question...

I'm looking for a simple push button LED light like this Baja Designs dome light. This is exactly what I've been looking for, really small package with a push button on/off with a ton of light output...but the price is ridiculous. LED Dome Lights | LED Lighting | Baja Designs

I know Home Despot sells those three pack of round LED bulbs but they are too big and fail after awhile. Anyone know of a cheaper LED light? Haven't seen anything I like yet.

Last edited:

Anathollo

Staff member
Found Denver Outfitter's hardtop tents.
OverRoam Roof Top Tent - Denver Outfitters
i-2McjGBP-XL.jpg
i-nGNLfvC-XL.jpg

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
I setup a 3' LED light strip inside my RTT on an off/on switch for light inside the tent. It is powered by a rechargeable battery pack. It worked great last time out and the ability to change light color and intensity worked out nicely.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
My tent has a built in light on the main hoop. But if it didn't I would probably use a rope style LED light that had the ability to change colors and dim.

Oswego

n00b
First question...

I'm looking for a simple push button LED light like this Baja Designs dome light. This is exactly what I've been looking for, really small package with a push button on/off with a ton of light output...but the price is ridiculous. LED Dome Lights | LED Lighting | Baja Designs

I know Home Despot sells those three pack of round LED bulbs but they are too big and fail after awhile. Anyone know of a cheaper LED light? Haven't seen anything I like yet.

Camp Lights

I like the spotlit in the link. I have one on each fan in my house for when the power goes out. Also take them camping and when I ride my MT bike at night. Has strobe and on/off.

I have the ridgeline party lights for a few years and they have held up well in the rain/snow/sun for not being waterproof.

All my key rings have the led ridgelight on them and they have lasted years. Also have one on the ridgeline of my hammock.

The ziplit is also pretty cool. Got one on all of my rain/snow/oh shit jackets.

Silverback

Oswego

n00b
If your tent has two doors but only one ladder - be sure to mark the side that has the ladder before you go to sleep drunk. Seen one guy almost kill himself by trying to crawl out of the wrong side before.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Those are real similar to what I have setup in and under my RTT. They are great for having enough light to see but not so much as to wash out the stars. I did a bunch of google-fu and the best answer I could come up with is orange light does not attract bugs like the brighter lights.

Oswego

n00b
Those are real similar to what I have setup in and under my RTT. They are great for having enough light to see but not so much as to wash out the stars. I did a bunch of google-fu and the best answer I could come up with is orange light does not attract bugs like the brighter lights.

I like Christmas lights for keeping the bugs away and your night-vision intact. My clear led rope lights are WAY to bright. I never go camping without putting up a strand of multicolor led lights. Kind of my thing now so I can yak/hike back to camp when we take night excursions.

Silverback

In the trailer on the side boxes I have multi-color LED light strips but in the main box compartments in a solid white... I expect once I use it a few times I'll be putting some amber colored film/tint over them.

Anathollo

Staff member
If your tent has two doors but only one ladder - be sure to mark the side that has the ladder before you go to sleep drunk. Seen one guy almost kill himself by trying to crawl out of the wrong side before.
I always sleep with my feet toward the door in case of an emergency pee lol

Oswego

n00b
Whatever you're sleeping in....... I put this stuff on all my tents/gear/hammocks/shoes. Just using it on your shoes decreases chances of a tick imbedding by over 50%. Never had any issues with discoloring or staining. When other people find 4 ticks on them and we are walking the same trail - I smirk when I find zero.

MIRTH-170613-134114.JPG

Anathollo

Staff member
Whatever you're sleeping in....... I put this stuff on all my tents/gear/hammocks/shoes. Just using it on your shoes decreases chances of a tick imbedding by over 50%. Never had any issues with discoloring or staining. When other people find 4 ticks on them and we are walking the same trail - I smirk when I find zero.

MIRTH-170613-134114.JPG
I usually soak my RTT in waterproofing before using it. Thanks to @SecretSquirrel for reminding me before going to Colorado. It saved us a lot of headache.

Oswego

n00b
I usually soak my RTT in waterproofing before using it. Thanks to @SecretSquirrel for reminding me before going to Colorado. It saved us a lot of headache.

I seam seal mine but thats it. All my tents are much thinner fabric with smaller pores than those heavy ass durable RTT's. Spent 3hrs re-sealing my old Eureka A frame a few weeks ago because a mouse put about 30 holes in it while stored in my shed. For those looking to have an emergency quick tent repair kit - this stuff works wonders when you don't have time to sew/seal a hole the right way:

Tenacious Tape Repair Tape

Not so sure if it would work on RTT fabric because I think those maybe canvas, but it does great on all my silnylon and argon fabrics.

tex

That's Mr Asshole to you

MIRTH-170613-134114.JPG

That stuff is great!

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Not sure if I posted these before but when I saw the booshi CVT tent I thought I should post this up. Mr. 'Back, what buckles do they have on those booshi CVTs?

This is what I converted the stupied D ring setup to:

wdcb150901-15inch-40mm-cam-buckles-for-cam-buckle-straps-a634bc98-438x412.jpg

Silverback

Mine are large metal ones.. I'll try to get some pics.

unevolved

Black Diamond Orbit Lantern

We've got one of these that works great in the tent. Hangs from the top cross bar, and with the dimmable lantern mode it's super handy around the campsite when you only want a little bit of light.