SAS swap / 01 DC Tacoma

TKGN1

Straight White Male
Moving along on the rear suspension. Been working on it a few hours at night (wife and kids out of town).
After cutting all the stock suspension stuff off I set up the hangers nice and square (spent a little extra time insuring that), boxed the frame in, and added my own crossmember/spare tire carrier. I can fit a 33" tire underneath, but most likely will just leave the stock spare. The rear most rusty tube is a temp brace I put in to keep the frame from spreading.

Mauzer

Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er
I don't understand? Why would you want to keep the stock size spare? Trailer tire?

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Lookin' good! :)

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
x2 on the stock sized tire. Not seeing the point.

The rest looks great though.

TKGN1

Straight White Male
I don't understand? Why would you want to keep the stock size spare? Trailer tire?

x2 on the stock sized tire. Not seeing the point.

The rest looks great though.

Well, a 35" will not fit in the stock location (33" tire should fit). I want to maintain the stock location for daily driving/hunting use, I don't want to clutter my bed with a spare tire. If I wheel at a location that I need my full size spare I'll just throw it on the bed and strap it down (have one just very rarely use it).
Figured if I'm not wheeling a smaller spare will suffice to get me back home/out of a bind. With selectable lockers front and rear it won't effect the drive train running different size tires for a bit, look goofy yes, but I won't be stranded.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Well, a 35" will not fit in the stock location (33" tire should fit). I want to maintain the stock location for daily driving/hunting use, I don't want to clutter my bed with a spare tire. If I wheel at a location that I need my full size spare I'll just throw it on the bed and strap it down (have one just very rarely use it).
Figured if I'm not wheeling a smaller spare will suffice to get me back home/out of a bind. With selectable lockers front and rear it won't effect the drive train running different size tires for a bit, look goofy yes, but I won't be stranded.

I have done the same with the stock spare before when space was at a premium. Also, I have just run the small one up front figuring I would put less wear on the differential. Another reason for the expensive solution to have selectable hubs in the rear! lol

TKGN1

Straight White Male
Got the rear diff prepped for install. Plasma and grinder took care of business.

Set the rear under the truck, centered axle, set pinion angle and tacked the perches and shock tabs in place. I pre-loaded the suspension with ratchet straps to get everything set right at normal ride height before tacking in place.

Still need to get the upper cross tube for the shock mount put on and get the tabs for the brake lines/e-brake cable put back on.
After that it is a little paint and start assembling everything back on the truck.
Hopefully will complete it ALL this weekend. I am so ready to get this part of the build done.

TKGN1

Straight White Male
Why new spring perches?
New perches are longer, already have three holes for moving axle back or forward, and allows the axle to be rotated for better pinion angle.
I started to leave the stockers in place but figured I have everything torn apart so why not do it at this point.

4x4yota

It doesn't matter!! You just better get this on the road or the boys will not be happy when they can't go off road ranchin!!!

TKGN1

Straight White Male
Got everything wrapped up on the rear.
Need to work a few bugs out but all in all it came out pretty good.

Put the rear axle back in:

How it sits now:

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Very nice!

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Todd, what are your thoughts on the vertical rear shackle angle? Might want to move that rear hanger forward and get some longer shackles it the leaf springs don't settle a ton.

Well it does keep the spring rate the same. :)

TKGN1

Straight White Male
Todd, what are your thoughts on the vertical rear shackle angle? Might want to move that rear hanger forward and get some longer shackles it the leaf springs don't settle a ton.

Yea, that is a little bit of a concern. I'm gonna hold off to see how the springs settle and go from there. Worse case I'll cut the rear hangers off and move them forward a bit.
From what I have read the TG springs will flatten out over time. They also specify in the instruction: "Place rear axle on jack stands with weight of vehicle on
suspension. Ensure shackles are at a 90° angle." I'm assuming they figure the spring will lose some arch and push the shackles back.
They did lean back some with the bed installed but with the bed off they where pretty much vertical.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
When I burned my front springs in, I did the same. When it gets out, I am certain things will settle.