Sept 8-10: Shaffer's Bend and Hidden Falls

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
In the black 4Runner? That is my Dometic fridge.

Here are some pics of the Suburban recovery at Hidden Falls on Saturday. The kid had some decent tires and a leveling kit on his 2WD Suburban, nobody with him, and no cell coverage. The first thing I asked him was if he knew what the Darwin Awards are. The front tires were below the rock and were barely touching the rock below them and the transmission cross member was dug into the rock ledge because he went over with some force. His 1 wheel fire was not getting him anywhere. Thankfully a nicely built 2nd gen Tacoma and a 5th gen 4Runner came along with more recovery gear and lockers to help pull him out. In the end the Tacoma connected to the Suburban and I connected to the Tacoma to pull the Suburban out.

View attachment 6854
View attachment 6855
View attachment 6856

This video was shot from a bad spot but my Sammich Maker knows she was lucky to not get hit by a rock. All pics and vids are courtesy of my Sammich Maker.

What model. Glad the Sammich Maker was not hurt during the making of that video. :)

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Now for some pics and vids of the Jeep in it's natural environment - stuck. I was laughing as @Silverback told them to take the strap off the hitch ball because he was going to hit the strap hard enough it might break off. Their faces were all confused... and then he jerked the Jeep out of the holes. lol

21585910_10156643763251632_1858023252_o.jpg 21556883_10156643763471632_402729032_o.jpg 21585574_10156643763586632_485827371_o.jpg 21616981_10156643763976632_397061126_o.jpg 21585849_10156643763731632_1845738580_o.jpg

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
The first video I think is where he jerks the Yeep out of the holes and then the second is where they get it clear. All that stuck for a turkey feather. rotfl

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Now for some pics and vids of the Jeep in it's natural environment - stuck. I was laughing as @Silverback told them to take the strap off the hitch ball because he was going to hit the strap hard enough it might break off. Their faces were all confused... and then he jerked the Jeep out of the holes. lol

View attachment 6857 View attachment 6858 View attachment 6859 View attachment 6860 View attachment 6861
He might want to rethink what he spends his money on WRT upgrades!!! lol Even the Heap looks angry about it! lol

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Nice!

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
It was nice to meet your cousin and his son this weekend. Hope he builds that thing up.

Silverback

He might want to rethink what he spends his money on WRT upgrades!!! lol Even the Heap looks angry about it! lol

WRT?

But yeah his angry grill mod did wonders!

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
WRT?

But yeah his angry grill mod did wonders!
Oh sorry. I guess that was pre-Interwebs. That was a math acronym. WRT - With Respect To. lol

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I have to say those 'runners are SO SEXY!!! I want one! In a way I don't know how I can justify a 60 flat rate job, and probably 30 or 40 hours of gusseting my truck and still have a semi ugly deal when I should probably just sell mine, as-is and get a 'runner. I just think my labor is easier to come by verses cash. Who knows? I figure I will bail on my at 200k and then get one. :)

Silverback

I have to say those 'runners are SO SEXY!!! I want one! In a way I don't know how I can justify a 60 flat rate job, and probably 30 or 40 hours of gusseting my truck and still have a semi ugly deal when I should probably just sell mine, as-is and get a 'runner. I just think my labor is easier to come by verses cash. Who knows? I figure I will bail on my at 200k and then get one. :)

In 2030? :)

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER

Silverback

Holy Shit Randy is ALIVE! Do they have internet in prison? We talked about you this weekend and your absence. Where you been man?

Silverback

Pimpin' ain't EZ.

Well I hope things are working out great for ya.. been too long since we hung out.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’
Well after backing the brake off considerably and driving it home today.. no excess hub heat... now I don't know how well my brake was grabbing. But at least it was not smoking the bearings. But there is still some drag in that assembly. I'll try to get it inside today and take another look at it. Repack the bearings again just to be safe.

But for only having 100 miles on the thing there was more dark marking than I would have expected. I think the brake was adding to whatever issue there is with the dragging already. I'd like to get a new spindle and swap it out.

View attachment 6837 View attachment 6838

Was it over torqued?
If that is a possibility the bearings/race maybe slight damage causing the issue. I would measure/micrometer the both spindles, before I would order one, hard to believe the a spindle could be an issue unless China standards were involved... I don't know the whole details involved, but I would start with a new of bearings, unless there is actual damage to spindle/out of spec

Last edited: