Share the Road

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
I used to ride quite a bit. I have friends that ride everyday. I know we need to 'share the road.' I don't road bike anymore on busy roads. And when the 'bike gangs' don't let cars on the road or block intersections, I ... well never mind.

This is truly effed up but I ... never mind.

[video=youtube;KRgiIrHRoHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRgiIrHRoHM[/video]

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
WOW! Thats horrible. Doesn't sound like the police down there have any intention of catching the guy.

Here in Austin cycling is pretty big, on any Saturday or Sunday (hell anyday really) you can see dozens of cyclists riding up and down 360 and all around central/south/west Austin. There is a really big area right by my house that road bikers use all the time, its all country roads and in the warmer months I always see folks out biking there. But not me.. I refuse to ride on pavement. I've seen too many dump truck drivers amp'd up on meth come speeding by me in my truck... no way I'd want to be on a bicycle. The new trend I've noticed is the cyclists riding on the toll roads near the house, which to me in insane. But.. I guess they get used to it. They probably think dropping off ledges and avoiding trees by inches at 15-25MPH is insane as well.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
WOW! Thats horrible. Doesn't sound like the police down there have any intention of catching the guy.

Here in Austin cycling is pretty big, on any Saturday or Sunday (hell anyday really) you can see dozens of cyclists riding up and down 360 and all around central/south/west Austin. There is a really big area right by my house that road bikers use all the time, its all country roads and in the warmer months I always see folks out biking there. But not me.. I refuse to ride on pavement. I've seen too many dump truck drivers amp'd up on meth come speeding by me in my truck... no way I'd want to be on a bicycle. The new trend I've noticed is the cyclists riding on the toll roads near the house, which to me in insane. But.. I guess they get used to it. They probably think dropping off ledges and avoiding trees by inches at 15-25MPH is insane as well.

Same goes for towns near morning glory... some towns have green lanes - If a bike gets there first, you stay out. Some of these places have great bike paths parallel to the green lanes.

And mountain biking is insane. It's just a little adrenalin - like a junkies boost! My body still aches from some mountain biking accidents. I do miss doing it though.

Silverback

And mountain biking is insane. It's just a little adrenalin - like a junkies boost! My body still aches from some mountain biking accidents. I do miss doing it though.

Same here.. the 4 fake teeth I have are due to mtn biking.

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Just saw this in a news article...

When it comes to drivers and bicyclists in Orange County, it's as if there are two warring tribes.

The problem is one tribe brought a flyswatter to what might as well be a gunfight. And many in that tribe act like they're invulnerable if not invisible.

Yes, the tribe seriously outmanned and lacking any defensive armor is the cyclists.

The tribe with one and two-ton speeding steel steeds? The drivers.

I'm on a ride-along with Newport Beach police during an operation that focuses on violations that lead to bike vs. vehicle collisions.

Finding cyclists shooting through red lights is about as difficult as catching Charlie Sheen doing something dumb.

Whoosh. There go two riders wearing orange and black Team Duke jerseys ripping through a red light.

Whoosh. There goes another cyclist, this one wearing a blue jersey. She slows to a near-stop, decides Coast Highway is clear and blows the red light.

But blaming cyclists for the crashes that maim and kill (in Orange County we average a cyclist death a month; over half involve crashes) ignores reality.

Sure, there are errant cyclists. And they need to change their behavior. But most cyclists are good people – Team Duke represents the John Wayne Cancer Foundation – and many crashes are driver error.

The law says that cyclists have a legal right to the road. And as drivers and citizens, we have a responsibility to help ensure everyone's safety.

Even if some cyclists – and drivers – behave like Charlie Sheen.

•••
Sgt. Damon Psaros pilots a Chevy Tahoe painted blue and white with the NBPD plastered all over it.

We're at a red light at Coast Highway and Avocado Avenue. Psaros shakes his head in disbelief as the woman in blue pedals through the red saying, under his breath, "With a police vehicle right next to her."

Psaros is supervising day two of Newport Beach's new Bicycle Safety Enforcement Operation. He wasn't planning on pulling anyone over. But geez.

Psaros gives his siren a short blast – wooo – and maneuvers the Tahoe so it blocks other drivers from hitting the cyclist.

Muscular with a buzz cut, he grabs a black mic hanging near an array of computers and radios. The external loud speaker crackles to life. "Please pull a few feet ahead."

The woman complies and dismounts. The goal of the cyclist vs. driver operation is education, not enforcement and this time Psaros lets the cyclist go with a warning. The ticket would have cost more than $400.

The operation is also about building relations with a skittish cycling community that sometimes believes police don't care about them. That attitude annoys me, a cyclist, but it's understandable when your friends are getting killed.
Psaros gives the cyclist the department's new Bicycle Safety brochure. Among other things it states: "Ride in the bicycle lane or the farthest right of the lane."
If you're a driver, that might sound like common sense. But some cyclists have different advice:
"Take the lane."
•••
I ride the road. Sometimes taking a lane makes safety sense, particularly when there are parked cars or a cyclist is turning left. Sometimes it doesn't. But cyclists need to be clear about signaling their intentions, especially when turning.
There is something else in the police department's brochure sure to drive many cyclists bananas: "Ride in single file."
For many recreational cyclists, especially clubs, them's fightin' words.
But Newport Beach Police Chief Jay Johnson's a cyclist himself. He enlisted cyclists for input. He just wants to people to obey the law and to save lives.
California Vehicle Code 21202-A states: "Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic... shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb."
Of group riders, Psaros says, "They're impeding. They shouldn't be riding five abreast."
Like the chief, Psaros is a cyclist. A mountain biking dad who lives in Rancho Santa Margarita, he says he was riding the other week from a trailhead along Live Oak Canyon Road when a car nearly hit him.
Newport Beach averages nearly 100 cycling accidents a year, and Laguna Beach, Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach have joined them in the educational crackdown/operation. But all cities deal with cyclist vs. vehicle crashes, and the program should be countywide.
The radio crackles. Someone else has broken the law.
This one's a driver.
•••
Finding drivers who break the law is even easier than spotting scofflaw cyclists. I know. I've sat next to them in traffic school.
Psaros stops on Newport Coast Drive. Officer Shawn Dugan gives the driver of a beige sedan a ticket for going 89 mph in a 60 mph zone.
"People driving at that speed," Dugan explains, "can create a vacuum and pull a cyclist into the roadway."
Four cyclists have been killed in Newport Beach in crashes over the last two years. Drivers turning left are especially dangerous.
In the most recent fatality, Feb. 21, police say the cyclist, Amine Britel, was doing everything correctly.
Britel earned his MBA at Harvard, represented Morocco as a triathlete in the 2004 Olympics, and had his own tour company in Newport Beach.
My heart goes out to Britel's family. And it goes out to the driver and her family. She's 22, a year younger than my daughter. But if she's guilty, her life is changed forever.
I check out Britel's bicycle. It's a broken mess of carbon fiber and titanium. It looks like other bikes I've seen hit by cars.
I know a widow and a widower. Both lost their spouses when sober but distracted drivers drifted into bike lanes.
Obey the laws. Share the road. Save a life.

Silverback

I'll say that the majority of cyclists in Austin obey the rules of the road. I very rarely see one run a red light... but then again I don't drive around in traffic all day either.

Mauzer

Pitter Patter. Lets Get at Er
^^Those stories piss me off, the police are sitting there watching cyclists break traffic laws but do nothing? I'm all for sharing the road but the cyclist have to obey traffic laws or accept the consequences (tickets, accidents, etc).

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Yeah - stuff pisses me off too. Call me a geek but I stop at stop signs just because it's a good habit and know too many that have gotten tickets. Zoom on the other hand never learns! :) Hopefully she will never get hurt or butt hurt (ticketed!).

SecretSquirrel

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Staff member
[video=youtube;acYDNlMYAaI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYDNlMYAaI[/video]