Silverbacks trailer to haul his booshi shit.. not my word.. its TacoXpo's.

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Silverback, May 9, 2017.

1. Silverback

Silverback Known to eat paint chips

So I was planning to build an off-road trailer but time is not on my side. I want to get out there and just go! Anyhow, after designing one on paper and failing to buy the steel to make it happen I stumbled upon Smittybilts version... and its 90% of what I had planned. Differences are side boxes above fenders, rear bumper with swingout and the area where Smittybilt puts the spare would be dedicated to fuel/water cans and generator. Also wanted a fresh water tank with skid mounted underneath. Well I think I can make this Smittybilt do all that. Yes its more $$ than I planned to spend but it also gets me going faster and sometimes its just worth it. The one thing I'm not super happy with is the unibody style construction of the trailer. Was hoping for more of a boxed frame. But hey, Cherokees get beat on with unibody's and I hope to reinforce the frame with some 2x2 box that will allow me to add a rear bumper and swingout. We'll see.. its a project.

Picked it up minus wheels and tires from 4WP. You can order these for about $1000 less if you skip wheels and tires. My plan is to replace the brake hubs with some that have the 6x5.5 bolt pattern the Taco has and run mathching wheels and tires. It was supposed to be on casters as per Smittybilt but turns out the casters are in a box and they need to be mounted at the shop. Not a big deal as 4WP was kind enough to load it on the rollback with a forklift and this allowed me to strap it down a bit snugger and the slid it off into the garage onto some car dollies. Worked out perfect as the casters they provide are really nice and I will repurpose those for something else around the shop.

Now some pics... everyone loves pics right?

On the rollback.
    [​IMG]

In the garage still wrapped up.. well sorta wrapped up.
    [​IMG]

Opening it up... here is where it gets interesting.
    [​IMG]

So the web video says the instructions and key are in the driver side door compartment.. problem is the "crate/exo" is in the way to open the door. And to be honest this thing is heavy. I was really not 100% sure how to get in there and didn't want to drop the thing. So I called SB and they promptly sent me the instructions via PDF. Well whoever wrote the instructions on how to get it out of the "crate/exo" obviously never really did it. Lets just say that the Hypertherm was called upon to remove some of the rear passenger side "crate/exo" to allow it to roll out from underneath. No problem, but just know... that part of the instruction manual will make you wonder how they did it. I'm pretty sure a Transporter from Star Trek was involved for their manual. If you have one, or maybe a gantry crane you don't have to cut up the crate. Not a big deal.

Anyhow, I got it out.
    [​IMG]

The casters.. nice IMO
    [​IMG]

The kitchen slide is nice but I wish I would have had the dimensions on the stove area beforehand. Its pretty small. My Coleman won't fit in there.. its about 25" wide and the area is only good for something about 18" wide.. maybe a 18" Partner Stove is in the works. I'll just add that Coleman stove the garage sale I need to have some day... actually I have two. :(
    [​IMG]
    It slides out further than this photo shows.. you don't have to work around the side door to cook.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The passenger side are is designed for a generator... at this point I want to put a Honda genny on it.. wasn't planning to use this area and repurpose this area for something else. But its very well suited for a genny. It may be where I put it during travel and then use it for something else while parked. Not sure yet. The white stuff is leftover foam crap from where they had the hub assemblies packaged (very nicely I might add). Pretty sure these are 10" hubs so now to take them apart and find some replacement 6x5.5 versions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What's next? Well I need to clear out the area in front of it and get the tongue installed. Get the suspension installed, and order some hubs/wheels/tires. CVT has my Summit Series RTT on order but it has not shipped yet with is super OK with me. Don't need to find a place for it just yet. I'll feel way better once this thing is on wheels.

Am I happy with this purchase, yes. Is it perfect, well not 100% for me but its close enough and I think I can make it 100%. :banana:

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    PSU Taco85, Anathollo and Mauzer like this.
  2. tex

tex Keeper of the 10mm sockets

I will have to come see this thing in its natural habitat...your garage

Oswego, TacoXpo and tx_shooter like this.
  3. Silverback

Well I hope that is not its natural habitat. It will live here 99% of the time but hoping it gets out and gets used quite often. But yes, come visit.

TacoXpo likes this.
  4. tx_shooter

tx_shooter Looking for my missing 10mm socket. Staff Member

So when is the shake down trip to HF? How many solar panels and light bars will fit on the Smittybilt trailer?

Silverback and Anathollo like this.
  5. tex

Maybe I will see you soon. Just dont try and feed me that Bud Light

Anathollo and TacoXpo like this.
  6. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

fify

tex likes this.
  7. TacoXpo

TacoXpo Fake News sells advertising and divides

I will have to convince you to haul this thing in its natural habitat...Moab, Ouray, Death Valley, the Sierras, etc. :)

Silverback, Anathollo and tx_shooter like this.
  8. Silverback

I guess you are a horse piss connoisseur so we'll just take your word for it... you have said it multiple times so it must be true.

TacoXpo likes this.
  9. Oswego

Oswego n00b

Glad you're happy with the trailer. I'm glad the quality is up to par. Pretty sure all of us here modify everything regardless of initial design lol

TacoXpo likes this.
  10. Anathollo

Anathollo Armorall is my choice of lube Staff Member

Also, how many speakers are you planning on adding? You need to do surround sound. I think we could add a projector mount bracket on it and bring along your screen so we can watch movies (i.e. pron) on the trail!

Silverback likes this.
  11. Silverback

I'm actually thinking just a pair of speakers and a small headunit. :) I like the projector mount idea though.

TacoXpo and Anathollo like this.
  12. Oswego

Oswego n00b

lol I go camping once a year where we go all out. We set up a projector and house speaker system to watch Saving private Ryan the night before we reenact the D-Day invasion of Normandy with paintball guns. Always seems to draw a crowd in the middle of the corn field.

Anathollo likes this.
  13. Taco Loco

Taco Loco Tired and Lazy, married to a Laundry Fairy

The faux pleather news is accurate sir.

14. tex

My neighbors have a blow up projector screen that we watch movies from in the yard.

15. texasislandboy

texasislandboy donde esta la NGAGE IT

I like this idea! Some Rockgford fosgats 6.5"s and 8"s and the new head unit with a remote mounted on the outside!

16. Silverback

I have a couple of older headunits. One is a Kenwood Excelon single DIN unit with flip out screen and DVD player. The other is a Kenwood that is just a media player (no DVD or CD), only radio or MP3's. I have a few sets of speakers as well. Some Alpine 6x9s (marine rated) and a set of Kenwood 6.5" marine rated. Also a Polk 2 channel marine amp and a Kenwood 4 channel amp (not marine). Just need to figure out the best place to put the stuff. I am thinking that when I install the side boxes above the fenders I'll put them in one of those.

17. texasislandboy

texasislandboy donde esta la NGAGE IT

That would be the best bet. Let me know if you want some marine tinned wire for them. Stuff can get wet and still last longer than the trailer.

18. Silverback

Cool.. I might hit you up on that wire.

Got the tongue installed tonight. Wasn't very difficult but I am sort of at a stand still. I need to get the hubs for the correct bolt pattern next . Figure its easier with them on the bench vs. the trailer.
    [​IMG]

tx_shooter likes this.
  19. thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher even my YETI has a kill count

Going to put a locker in it?

20. Silverback

The kitchen slide area does lock as does the drawer in there.. so I guess it came with a locker.