SMKYTXN's DCFB (Smokey)

SMKYTXN

Vendor
Vendor
Meet Smokey! She's a 2011 TRD Sport, with a few minor mods. I have a build over on TW, so I'll add the highlights here as I go.

For now, here's last weekends progress. The rear leafs are a set of skyjacker 5" lift springs. While they flex great they wrap like no other. So last weekend I finally had a chance to get a traction bar built. I modeled the design off of the chassis unlimited bar. Typically the triangulated bar is welded to the main bar, but their design uses a heim in that location. It makes pretty good sense in that the bushings at the axle won't be fighting eachother during articulation.

1.5" x 0.25" DOM
Ruffstuff 3/4" heims
Home made axle bracket
Salvaged ATO traction bar front mount

Big thanks to Chris for helping out with the build. We knocked it out pretty quick Saturday and then installed it Sunday morning after the paint had set up a bit.

6632632e6a7067.jpg

3464352e6a7067.jpg

3363392e6a7067.jpg

6661352e6a7067.jpg

6263342e6a7067.jpg

Last edited:

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Meet Smokey! She's a 2011 TRD Sport, with a few minor mods. I have a build over on TW, so I'll add the highlights here as I go.

For now, here's last weekends progress. The rear leafs are a set of skyjacker 5" lift springs. While they flex great they wrap like no other. So last weekend I finally had a chance to get a traction bar built. I modeled the design off of the chassis unlimited bar. Typically the triangulated bar is welded to the main bar, but their design uses a heim in that location. It makes pretty good sense in that the bushings at the axle won't be fighting eachother during articulation.

1.5" x 0.25" DOM
Ruffstuff 3/4" heims
Home made axle bracket
Salvaged ATO traction bar front mount

Big thanks to Chris for helping out with the build. We knocked it out pretty quick Saturday and then installed it Sunday morning after the paint had set up a bit.

6632632e6a7067.jpg

3464352e6a7067.jpg

3363392e6a7067.jpg

6661352e6a7067.jpg

6263342e6a7067.jpg

I know it is not my business but the axis of those bottom mounts concern me. The axle is pivoting from the front eye of the shock and therefor there will be more rotation in the axis that is parallel to the axle. Like the welds. :)

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
The " Retrieve remote file and reference locally" checkbox is selected automatically when choosing to upload from a URL. That was causing an invalid file error.

I'll see what we can do amount fixing the automatic part. Thanks for calling it out.

SMKYTXN

Vendor
Vendor
I know it is not my business but the axis of those bottom mounts concern me. The axle is pivoting from the front eye of the shock and therefor there will be more rotation in the axis that is parallel to the axle. Like the welds. :)

You mean having the lower shock mounts perpendicular to the axle? That was a bit of a concern, but I wanted the lowers to be able to rotate during articulation and not rely on the heim. From what I know you want the mounts to be 90 out from eachother as well. With the traction bar I won't have to worry about the axle rotation affecting the lower mounts now. Though I've wheeled several trips without the trac bar and didn't notice any issues.

Here's how the top of the shock is mounted.

6a15a246db760e15c44545099d862a08.jpg

And she flexes pretty well in the back.

dsc_0372-jpg.868650

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
You're probably fine :)

SMKYTXN

Vendor
Vendor
Crawl box.... Mmmm looking forward to the dirty pictures of this install.

I'm just hoping everything shows up when it's supposed too. I'm talking to Mark about a short throw adapter for the transfer case. That should help with shifter placement and reduce the hole that has to be cut in the cuphoder console.

I'm sticking with the j-shift patter on the FJ case so any reduction in throw will be helpful.

Now to figure out what kind of shift knobs I want. lol

SMKYTXN

Vendor
Vendor
Swanky... You want some swanky knobs.

lol

I'm already talking to my buddy who does cnc work. I'm thinking round knobs with a bright blue anodizing to match my logo. Then the shift patterns will be inlaid in black. Maybe a Trail Toys roundel on the side of each one as well. :D

Last edited:

taco4x4rar

I'm just hoping everything shows up when it's supposed too. I'm talking to Mark about a short throw adapter for the transfer case. That should help with shifter placement and reduce the hole that has to be cut in the cuphoder console.

I'm sticking with the j-shift patter on the FJ case so any reduction in throw will be helpful.

Now to figure out what kind of shift knobs I want. lol

Let us know if you come up with a short throw for the fj case, I really want an fj case without the crawl box but would like to keep it a j shift vs twin stick

SMKYTXN

Vendor
Vendor
Let us know if you come up with a short throw for the fj case, I really want an fj case without the crawl box but would like to keep it a j shift vs twin stick

Mark, (Nwitaco) makes a short throw kit for J-shift, but you do have to extend the pawl on the stock shifter. Just found that out today while talking about the transfer case options.

balakay

BabyMax

Why'd you change your mind on the crawl box?

taco4x4rar

Why'd you change your mind on the crawl box?

Didn't change my mind just don't have the cash for one right now, that and I don't know how much longer the yota drive train is staying so I'm inclined not to invest much in it at the moment. Hell my fj case may never get installed

TacoXpo

HOAX DENIER
Didn't change my mind just don't have the cash for one right now, that and I don't know how much longer the yota drive train is staying so I'm inclined not to invest much in it at the moment. Hell my fj case may never get installed
Sounds realistic. :) Maybe a 4.0 FToy. ;)

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Looking good!

I see where you got the inspiration for the jack stands. Albeit those are much beefier!
candleholder.jpg