The Home Improvement Thread

fsbrain03

I built a VERY similar table when we had a condo about 17 years ago. Differences were that the one I made was all stained, no white. And it was attached to the wall at one end like a peninsula. Nice work @fsbrain03
Thanks! I have a larger version (4’x8’) of this in my dining area, and a bench I’ve built into the wall.

Oswego

n00b
It's ok. @Oswego never went to A&M lol

*confused*

I know here locally they have programs to dispose of that stuff. There is usually a collection place you can bring it to anytime and periodically they have days where they post up at city hall or something and collect it locally. Here you can also call them and schedule a pick up.

I have like 20 gallons of old coolant and like 30 gallons of old Oil/gas/paint/paint thinner mixture I need to get rid of.
We have it for paint and oil. I just can't find anything for raw gas. Ill keep looking but in the end I bet I end up putting in the sun for a day then adding some used motor oil in the gas and dropping it off at the oil drop off :devil-flip:

Glad you're coming to this relization

Getting older. Priorities changing. Ill see how much the quote is for today when I get home then decide.

tx_shooter

You ever try to roughie a bear?
Staff member
Getting older. Priorities changing. Ill see how much the quote is for today when I get home then decide.

I am still working on the numbers for this same problem myself. I know I need a bigger mower for my yard but my push mower still runs. So I comparing costs between a riding mower (with storage, maintenance, and time) vs paying someone to mow my yard. The problem is that the last two quotes I got were for $100 and $120 a mow. At twice a month that is a bit more than I really care to pay. If they were full service where they did the yard care and weed/feed too then I would be a bit more willing; but not at the "skill level" of some of these tweakers.

Oswego

n00b
I am still working on the numbers for this same problem myself. I know I need a bigger mower for my yard but my push mower still runs. So I comparing costs between a riding mower (with storage, maintenance, and time) vs paying someone to mow my yard. The problem is that the last two quotes I got were for $100 and $120 a mow. At twice a month that is a bit more than I really care to pay. If they were full service where they did the yard care and weed/feed too then I would be a bit more willing; but not at the "skill level" of some of these tweakers.

I figured Ive saved about 5k in the past 15 years mowing my own lawn w/o considering labor costs.

My quick budget math:

3 cuts a month X 5 months X 15 years @ $30 per cut = $6,750
- cost of 2 lawnmowers $500
- cost of one weedwacker $250
-cost of 1 backpack blower @ $250
-$100 gas/2 stoke oil
-$100 misc filters/plugs

With materials deducted it leaves me $5,500 for labor. 225 cuts x 2hrs per cut = 450 man hrs.

$5,500 / 450 man hrs = $12.22 per hr I'm paying myself to do the work. Professionally I would not take a job for $12.22 per hr so why have I been doing it at home? Well I can say I trust myself and no ones ever stolen anything from my yard or house. Today I have a guy wondering around my yard and I'm worried 2 weeks from now my kayaks will go missing. So...... is it worth it for me to mow fiscally? Nope. Is it worth it considering piece of mind that I don't have tweakers walking around casing my property.... I guess so cause Ive been mowing it myself for 15 years lol

So maybe I am the one dumb neighbor and everyone else is smarter? Doubtful, but possible.

Oswego

n00b
Now the smart thing to do fiscally is.... replace the lawn with wildflowers and cut once a year in fall, but that's frowned upon in suburbia.

I can tell you Ill never buy another house that has a significant lawn that needs to be taken care of. I consider grass to be a total waste of time and resources that ruins the environment. Much rather have plants growing that either turn a profit for me or help nature and the environment. Grass does neither. I thought about seeding my backyard with wildflowers last year but never did it. Maybe next spring.

Taco Loco

Tired and Lazy, married to ‘The Laundry Fairy’

weed kill the whole yard.

Taco Loco

Now the smart thing to do fiscally is.... replace the lawn with wildflowers and cut once a year in fall, but that's frowned upon in suburbia.

I can tell you Ill never buy another house that has a significant lawn that needs to be taken care of. I consider grass to be a total waste of time and resources that ruins the environment. Much rather have plants growing that either turn a profit for me or help nature and the environment. Grass does neither. I thought about seeding my backyard with wildflowers last year but never did it. Maybe next spring.

Here in the South, seed wildflowers in the Fall for Spring blooms.

Oswego

n00b
Here in the South, seed wildflowers in the Fall for Spring blooms.

You guys need the fall/winter to establish better roots system for your hotter summers I assume. Soon as the ground hits 70* in spring we are good to go or so the books I read say. Should be starting to bloom now if I had planted in time this spring.

My estimate was what I think is high. Spoke to a buddy who used to have a landscape company and is familiar w/my yard. He said half of what I was quoted would be a good #. Then he told me he only got business when he undercut the other guys and he no longer has the bushiness so..... I think Ill give them a try and pray they do a good job. If I wanted it done cheap with a bunch of illegals or tweakers I would of called the smaller companies or hired laborers myself then paid them by the day, but I'll just hope I get what I pay for from a reputable company.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Got a good headstart on a Smart Home setup today. I know.. tinfoil hat. Anyhow, went with Vivint Home Automation. Incorporates 2 4K cameras with a siren like thing built in.. so at night if someone comes up they will politely beep at them.. I can set it up to alarm but that is not needed. Came with their version of a Ring doorbell. Which so far is working better than my Ring Pro did! At least when people push the button... half the time the Ring wouldn't register the button push. Also has a 30 day DVR for cameras and doorbell. Smart door locks that set the alarm when they are set. A water sensor to alert if a water heater or ? busted a line. Have not placed that yet. Not sure where I want to put it. Its all Z-Wave so I can add onto it. It works with Alexa. Only thing it won't work with, and the sales guy said it did, is my garage door openers. Both of mine are WiFi enabled and I can control them from the phone. Not a huge deal but I did tell the salesguy he was wrong. But I can add onto it, Nest thermostats, Phillips Hue lighting, etc.

Taco Loco

Got a good headstart on a Smart Home setup today. I know.. tinfoil hat. Anyhow, went with Vivint Home Automation. Incorporates 2 4K cameras with a siren like thing built in.. so at night if someone comes up they will politely beep at them.. I can set it up to alarm but that is not needed. Came with their version of a Ring doorbell. Which so far is working better than my Ring Pro did! At least when people push the button... half the time the Ring wouldn't register the button push. Also has a 30 day DVR for cameras and doorbell. Smart door locks that set the alarm when they are set. A water sensor to alert if a water heater or ? busted a line. Have not placed that yet. Not sure where I want to put it. Its all Z-Wave so I can add onto it. It works with Alexa. Only thing it won't work with, and the sales guy said it did, is my garage door openers. Both of mine are WiFi enabled and I can control them from the phone. Not a huge deal but I did tell the salesguy he was wrong. But I can add onto it, Nest thermostats, Phillips Hue lighting, etc.

Nice

PSU Taco85

Built a fire pit out of a few w6 beams, plan is to add some mesh to the ends to keep the air flow but prevent logs from rolling out, and also surround with stones.
IMG_2177.JPG

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

Taco Loco

Replaced drain valve assembly on the Jacuzzi.

0EC8FA1B-5073-4935-B1AB-6C7250ACD585.jpeg

Drained it Tuesday and killed the power before we went to the big ugly for a couple Astros games.

Oswego

n00b
Came home today to seven S. American's raking my front lawn today. Little surprised because they were supposed to call a day ahead. Even more surprised two of them are attractive chicks that look to be in their 20's. I hope they do a good job. Last thing I want is the first lawnjockey job Ive hired out, go bad. So far so good. Told them to stop dragging the leaves out to the curb for loading and just pull their trucks in my yard. Guy looked at me like I was crazy so I just told him to do whatever was easier for them and that my weeds don't mind being driven over lol

Also reaffirmed my theory that I need to learn Spanish. I have no idea what one of the guys was saying to me for two minutes, but when he held his water jug out I filled it up for him and he walked away so I guess that's what he wanted?

CowboyTaco

A little garage organization in progress. Picked up these under counter steel cabinets from work. I agreed to pay $20 each and have taken 4 of them. Guy hasn't said a word about payment though so they may end up being free!

Sure beats having shit just laying out in the open. The garage is starting to come together and I hope to get both vehicles in there soon.

20190619_170904.jpg

They are pretty ugly, but functional.

Silverback

Lima Gulf Bravo Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Can't beat the price and they look solid!